Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 61 Next >>
Topic: More Star Trek Models from Round 2 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2017 at 2:18am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Wowzers, it looks like James Cawley and friends are building a 1:1 scale replica of the TOS Enterprise studio model (based on all of the measurements and updated info from the recent restoration of the real model for the NASM, but with both sides finished) for the STAR TREK Set Tour exhibit. Cool!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 22 December 2017 at 1:07pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I have a sixteen foot ceiling in my living room, and every so often I look up into that big empty space and think it really needs an 11ft model of the Enterprise hanging up there.
Back to Top profile | search

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2017 at 5:24pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I have a sixteen foot ceiling in my living room, and every so often I look up into that big empty space and think it really needs an 11ft model of the Enterprise hanging up there.
+++++++++++++

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRsPheErBj8

(That said, I'd also like one!)

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2017 at 12:35pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Nifty!

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 December 2017 at 2:04pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Very nice. makes me want to have a Trek  model display at my store. Of course no one has bought the 1/1000 reliant yet so..  I'm really hoping to pick this up for myself. is the AMT BoP accurate enough to use for a the base of this new kit? 

is there any credible speculation on the other new Kit? Did they ever do the big Galileo Shuttle? 

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 26 December 2017 at 2:38pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

That Grissom is a dodgy design. Do they use the transporter to move between the primary and secondary hulls?

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 December 2017 at 5:14pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

It's been speculated that the lower hull is actually an unmanned sensor/equipment pod, since it has no windows, and access to it seems limited, to say the least (unless there are slip 'n slides and/or turbolifts that move awkwardly through these very curvy pylons).

A lot of fan-made variants of the design feature detachable secondary hulls for different mission profiles, which works for me. I'd imagine a small crew operating in the primary hull, with the secondary hull being purely composed of sensors and whatnot. Accessible if necessary, but not normally an inhabited area of the ship.

And, of course, the ship is unarmed, and only slightly longer than the Constitution class's secondary hull, so I'd imagine a minimal crew, with minimal space accommodations, too. The impulse and warp engines are both contained within the primary hull, so the secondary hull-as-sensor-package makes sense.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2018 at 10:14pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Jim, the crew didn't leave. They're still here.

I must say that I'm really pleased with how this one turned out. I was originally planning for this to be a more quick and dirty build, but then I decided to take my time and go for the 1991 look. I didn't quite go as overboard with the gridlines and the weathering, and I think I've hit on the right formula for making the gridlines and "rust ring" on the saucer look really good.

Poor Ed Miraecki really gets bashed for that restoration of the 11-foot model, but he was working with limited reference materials, limited time, and a reasonable assumption that the model's gridlines were the equivalent of "stage makeup"--overdone in real life, but enough to (barely) register onscreen. This turned out not to be the case, and it took another 25 years for a truly accurate restoration.

Anyway, "The Omega Glory" is a lousy episode, but I think the first half of it is actually quite good, particularly the Exeter and Captain Tracey stuff. A lot of spin-off materials have provided speculative, post-episode fates for the ship itself--Scuttled? Decontaminated and re-crewed?--and she's been the subject of at least two different fanfilm series. So, she seems to have a certain unique appeal.

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2018 at 2:21pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Oh,that does look good. Not quite as overdone as 1991. It does make her look unique in your fleet. I like that each one has something different. 

In other news how soon will you be one of the first 25 to pick up the new 1:350 K'Tinga? Form nicemodel

Maybe this will be a good judge on id Polar Lights can be talked into doing one. Did PL announce what the new kit is going to be yet?

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2018 at 11:16am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

No, they haven't announced the new big kit, yet. 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2018 at 1:50am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Well, I've been wasting no time...

Let's talk about the Intrepid. As established in "The Immunity Syndrome", the ship was crewed entirely by Vulcans. That's an oddity in a fleet of ships shown to be crewed primarily by humans. I find myself wondering what the in-universe reason for that might be. A special assignment? Some kind of experiment?

Since I've been trying to give each of my Constitution class models a distinct identity and "feel", I've been coming up with ideas for the Intrepid. I think there's an opportunity here to push the boundaries a little bit, since the ship was never seen onscreen, and was said to have an entirely Vulcan crew. I've already decided to use the CGI, Remastered version of the Enterprise as a basis, with the unique detailing, window patterns and coloration of that version. I'll be using paint masks and metallic colors (to be then oversprayed with my usual gray-green base hull color) to simulate the non-Aztec panel pattern of the CG model. 

In terms of an in-universe explanation for this look, I'm thinking that the Intrepid could be a Vulcan ship built to the established Constitution specs by a Vulcan shipyard, rather than a human one (as with the Enterprise, which was built in San Francisco). I'm also thinking about creating custom decals to more obviously represent this idea by displaying the ship's name and registry on the hull in both English AND the Vulcan written language. And a triangular IDIC decal for the yellow circle on the bottom of the secondary hull. A bit fannish, perhaps, but it would be a fun little detail which would immediately make the ship identifiable as a Vulcan-built one.

I've already begun construction, and have focused on scribing the grid pattern into the saucer and nacelles, as per the CGI model. I made a photocopy of the 1/1000 Acreation Models saucer grid decal sheet to serve as a paper template to draw the grid onto the unpainted saucer with a pencil, then carefully scribed the lines in with sheet styrene pieces that were cut to match the radial and concentric grid templates. It's turned out really well. The trick is subtlety.

At this point, I've tried several techniques to depict the grids on various models (which, realistically, shouldn't even be visible at this scale)--scribing, penciled lines, and penciled lines mostly rubbed-out, then brought back with subtle weathering. Of these techniques, I think the last one looks best. I'll next be trying the Acreation decals (toned down with a misting of the hull color)

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2018 at 4:06pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Very cool details Greg! A compare and contrast or WIP of the saucer would be awesome too. 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2018 at 8:12pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Well, I just finished putting together the hull name/number decal art for the Intrepid, based upon the Vulcan hull font used for the warp shuttle Surak from THE MOTION PICTURE (a ship which also had bilingual English/Vulcan hull lettering). 

The trick will be figuring out how to size and arrange them on the model. I dunno if I should shrink down the English letters/Arabic numerals to half-size to accommodate equally half-size Vulcan script, have the English/Arabic at full size and the Vulcan at half-size (or vice versa), or have both at full-size, and go with non-traditional placements on the saucer (such as having each of the big NCC numbers on either side of the upper saucer, rather than forward-centered, as usual). Hmmm.

Ted Downum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2018 at 11:48am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Interesting ideas for the Intrepid, Greg. Look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Edited by Ted Downum on 16 January 2018 at 11:49am

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2018 at 2:04pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Personally I would  do english full size and shrink the vulcan. 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2018 at 2:51pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Thatís what Iím leaning toward. The idea being that, if the ship were to be reassigned to a non-Vulcan crew, then the Vulcan hull markings could easily be removed, Then, the English ones would already be in their standard size and place. Been experimenting with paper printouts of the markings to determine size and placement.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 17 January 2018 at 2:51pm

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2018 at 7:00pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

If anyone is looking for Romulan Bird of Prey from Round 2 Check you local hobby lobby, Mine had them on clearance for six bucks!  So I bought 2. I guess that gives me 2 chances at the decals! 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2018 at 10:53pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Great deal! I saw a 1/1000 Reliant at a Hobby alobby for $10, a few months back. Didnít get it, since I already have one. Iím hoping to eventually snag some Bandai STAR WARS models on the cheap, though.

Meanwhile I primed the Intrepid, and will soon be painting it with a metallic basecoat, then applying dozens of paneling paint-masks.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2018 at 12:08am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Gave the Intrepid a coating of bright silver. Gonna have to wait a few days for it to fully cure. I may end up doing two passes with painting masks, for a more multi-layer, contrasting effect. 

As some may recall, I tried a metallic, Aztec-type pattern on the Defiant, a few years back, but the alternating colors werenít quite contrast-y enough, and the effect was almost entirely washed out by the green-gray topcoat. This time, the paneling effect needs to be harsher, and the topcoat lighter, so that the underlying pattern is more visible. Subtle, but visible.

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2018 at 9:06pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

add more medium to your topcoat to keep the color the same but more transparent. I'd also with like a titaniam.  Do you airbrush or rattle can?

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2018 at 10:40pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Airbrush. And, yeah, Iím planning on going for a lighter/thinner topcoat, this time. 

I also bought some Testors Model Master aluminum metalizer for my NX Refit build, but Iíll be using Aztec decals instead of paint masks for that one.

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2018 at 7:27pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

That aluminium is really super bright. I look forward to seeing how this turns out. 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2018 at 1:03am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Spent a few hours tediously applying panel masking to the Intrepid. Dozens of teensy tape masks carefully laid in place, and Iím still not done. Iíd say itís at about 70%. Itís gonna be a process. As is taking them off, after painting.

That being said, the good news is that the CG Remastered Enterprise (upon which I am basing the detailing of this model) had a pretty random panel layout, rather than an Aztec-type. The ENTERPRISE version of the TOS Defiant had a TMP-style Aztec pattern, and it took me somewhere in the neighborhood of 12 hours to apply all of those paint masks. This build is a heck of a lot simpler, since Iím basically just placing masks on at random, and slowly building the paneling up in ways which look good to my eyes. 

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 19 February 2018 at 9:18am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Öthe CG Remastered Enterprise (upon which I am basing the detailing of this model) had a pretty random panel layout, rather than an Aztec-typeÖ

ēē

What now?

"Aztec" patterning should also be random. It's derived from the patterns appearing on the hulls of Navy warships, which is caused by the "grain" in the plates not being aligned.*

* Which, according to some TREK mythology, shouldn't happen at all, since there are no hull plates.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2018 at 11:45am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

True, but the paneling design created for THE MOTION PICTURE had a distinct repeating/alternating pattern on the saucer, variants of which were used on many subsequent ship designs for the later TREK iterations. So, it wasnít just totally random, although multiple layers of random panels were layered atop the basic pattern in order to break it up a bit.

<< Prev Page of 61 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version