Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 129 Next >>
Topic: More Star Trek Models from Round 2 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2012 at 10:52pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I thought one had to pre-order one of the first 1701 kits to receive the parts for the first and second pilots versions of the Enterprise.  So thankfully, I believe JB's chance to get under our skin has already passed.  Whew!

++++++++

Nope. The Premiere kit comes with the pilot parts, but they will also be available as separate add-ons for the standard kit.

Mr. Byrne seems to have an almost fetishistic desire to see my cranium go boom. I remain happy to disappoint!

A rivet-counter I may be, but I have no desire to pass judgement on those who deviate from super-accuracy. In point of fact, I rather enjoy seeing the creative variants people come up with.

The 1/1000 model also comes with pilot parts, and is a kitbasher's dream. I've incorporated a few of my many spare 1/1000 parts into my Ventura.

I'm also rather fond of John Payne's exceptional work:

http://www.inpayne.com/models/models.html

He's probably the undisputed master of the 1/1000 TOS kitbash. I mean, he's done a TON of them. He also designed the awesome "Bird of Payne" D-7 design, which graces a model I showed off here, some time ago. I think his design looks way cooler than the upcoming Round 2 Romulan D-7.

And, hey, who knows--maybe that big bridge-small dish configuration did appear at some point in the ship's fictional history! Who's to say it didn't?

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2012 at 11:10pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Here are some comparison shots of the kit with the Master Replicas model (which is also 1/350):

http://www.therpf.com/f11/1-350-tos-e-happening-115892/index 27.html#post2598135

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 21 November 2012 at 11:12pm

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2012 at 11:17pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Sorry to rub salt in the wound, Bill, but this came to mind when I received mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrhe9KO8Z1Y

Not minding it at all Greg, since he's one of the reasons why I'm not able to get this beauty right now...  ;)

And I can see why Joe would be upset at his box being damaged, if it happened to be that box image...

Back to Top profile | search

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 November 2012 at 1:53pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

ModelManTom has finally posted his lighting kit review video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtF3ibN6F4s

A minor error has been found in the 1/350 kit, regarding the placement of the three ports on either side of the lower saucer--a mistake caused at the factory, but correct in the kit's plans.

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showpost.php?p=4364614&pos tcount=13

Aztec Dummy is already working on paint masks for the windows, registries, etc., and will include templates for redrilling those holes.

And, as cool is it is, it's still a bit painful to see a Dremel hacking into a brand-new 1/350 kit for this first (of many, surely) Constellation build!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyST_3JNxqE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKxRqkBn3Ts

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=378760

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 24 November 2012 at 1:53pm

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2012 at 6:25pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Finally had time to cut the 1/350 kit's parts from the sprue trees and organize them.

Dry-fitting the main parts was fun. This thing holds together very well without even tape holding the parts in place!

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2012 at 12:26pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Greg - Will you wire the nacelle caps to rotate?  If so, there is some discussion over at Hobby Talk that the fan axles are warped, resulting in wobbling.  But it can apparently be solved with some hot water and rebending of parts. 
Back to Top profile | search

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2012 at 12:28pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Mine is a Birthday present so it stays under wraps till the 23rd of Dec. 
very nice links Greg. 

Yes the box damage was in the middle of the left side affecting the box art. I had wanted to display the box art framed with the numbered certificate. The foil effect on the box art is exclusive to the 1701 club as I recall so I can't just buy another kit. I'm going to go ahead and get the 199 upgrade package since it nearly the same price as just the light kit and the photo etch kit. 

In other news my 1/000 refit has been re-stripped down to the primer. (that tamiya primer will not come off for anything. Removing several layers of paint. I've gone back to the pearl white with the standard decals idea since I found a nice pearl white from Tamiya. I also have 3 1/1000 TOS kits to build.  and of course the big refit. 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2012 at 1:18pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Greg - Will you wire the nacelle caps to rotate?  If so, there is some discussion over at Hobby Talk that the fan axles are warped, resulting in wobbling.  But it can apparently be solved with some hot water and rebending of parts.

+++++++++++

I'm planning on going for the full effect. I've read that the accessory kits should be shipping soon.

Haven't examined the clear parts, yet, so I don't know if my axles are warped.

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2012 at 2:36pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Dear 1701 Club Member,

We have less than 100 U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701 Premiere Edition model kits left.

Hmmm to buy or not to buy....

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2012 at 11:38pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Dagnabbit! One of my nacelle axles is warped!

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2012 at 10:13pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

oooohhhh. not good. Let me know how the reapir goes. In case I have to do it as well. 

Edit: Ordered  a second numbered kit. So out of all the people that got shirts and all that were on the waiting list, there were still some left. 

Edited by Joe Boster on 01 December 2012 at 10:24pm

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2012 at 10:36pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Dagnabbit! The central sensor dome ring structure on my lower saucer is slightly warped, too!

<< Prev Page of 129 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version