Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 128 Next >>
Topic: More Star Trek Models from Round 2 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2012 at 11:09pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

And, so, closing a circle, Paul Newitt has reviewed the 1/350 kit:

http://culttvman.com/main/?p=25482

For those who don't know, Newitt wrote and published the STARFLEET ASSEMBLY MANUAL book series in the 1970s, which were the first major guides to accurize, superdetail and light the various AMT kits.

Even though they're long out of date, they're still great reads!

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 December 2012 at 6:36pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I'm starting to see the first few completed builds of the 1/350 kit at various sites.

I'm especially enjoying Trekworks' build. He's doing a second pilot version, with homemade lighting. 

http://www.youtube.com/user/TrekWorks/videos

I may be a rivet-counter, but that really only applies to my own work. I enjoy seeing different interprations--as long as the builder is happy, I'm happy for him or her!

Trekworks' 1/350 model many have a lot of inaccuracies for a second pilot version, but, man, his videos are fun and informative! I've gotten a lot of good tips from them.

He represents what I consider the best of sort of modeler--the person who has FUN building and problem-solving, and also takes the time to share his work and techniques in a laid-back, inviting way. Love it!

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 December 2012 at 10:54pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Very nice vids. looks like he used his own light kit and not the PL one is that correct? 

I never cared for the pilot tall bridge. But I have all those extra parts I may wind up with a first pilot ship. I want to name this kit Enterprise. So, I don't want to  mix and match parts.  That would be "Yorktown" to me.  A ship that followed a different upgrade path than big E and assumes it was launched as a first pilot configuration and got refits from there.  I was was reading, semi-recently, that CVN-65 had its island completely rebuilt during its 50 years of service. 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 December 2012 at 4:46pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Getting closer...

And, as proof of how well-engineered the 1/350 kit is...

No glue, no tape. Everything is friction-fit together. I'm holding the secondary hull together with one hand, so the pylons and dorsal stay in place, while holding the camera in the other hand.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2012 at 11:54pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Got my preorder notice for the 1/350 supplemental parts and lighting kit from CultTVMan. Yay!

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 06 December 2012 at 7:38am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Ventura's looking good, Greg!
Back to Top profile | search

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2012 at 12:55pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Thanks! Still got some tweaking and detailing to do on the nacelles before I permanently attach them.

Now that I'm getting closer to painting and detailing, I've gotta make some decisions about specifics.

As seen in CREW, the Ventura was a bit of a mix of pilot- and production-era detailing. I could go with that, or stick firmly in one camp or the other.

Really, it all comes down to the nacelle domes. I found some clear acrylic hemispheres which are the perfect size and shape. Question is, do I go first pilot-style (opaque crimson, with antennae), production (clear orange, with "fanblades"), or intermediate (opaque crimson, with no spikes/clear orange with spikes)?

Decisions, decisions. Gah! I'm just not sure what would look best, at this stage. Fortunately, I have several sets of domes, so maybe I'll rig some up in different styles to try out the various looks.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 06 December 2012 at 12:58pm

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 06 December 2012 at 1:32pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The Ventura would fall, chronologically, some time before the first pilot, so I'd lean to that as your cue for detailing. In other words, solid color nacelle caps, tho I didn't include the "antennae" in my model.

Of course, I didn't specify an age for the Venura, so she could be older or newer than the Enterprise.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2012 at 2:20pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

The Ventura would fall, chronologically, some time before the first pilot, so I'd lean to that as your cue for detailing. In other words, solid color nacelle caps, tho I didn't include the "antennae" in my model.

+++++++++

That's kinda the direction I was leaning toward--sold red caps, with no spikes. Although, as noted previously, the antennae do appear in one panel of that issue!

Of course, this model doesn't necessarily have to represent the ship as seen during that period. Still, I think I'd like to retain a first pilot-ish vibe.

That said, I'm still playing around with the markings. I may go for the first-pilot-style, sans serif "1"s for the hull numbers, rather than the production-style numbers you used.

Your 3-D model also used the production-style balls on the nacelles' rear endcaps, rather than the Pez dispenser- or black grille-style versions of the two pilots. So, there's no reason to say that a different class of vessel (older or newer) couldn't mix and match design elements that appeared on as distinctly separate on the various iterations of the Enterprise.

It really just comes down to the nitty-gritty stuff, like the nacelle domes and markings.

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2012 at 2:51pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Ventura is looking very nice. Got word that my 2nd Kit and detail/ights kit shipped from round2 yesterday.  Still don't know what I'm going to *do* with the 2nd kit, but I wanted to jump on getting 2 of the numbered kits anyway. That lead to the impulse buy of the detail kit.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2012 at 10:42pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Problem is that, having ordered another Premiere kit, you'll have another set of pilot parts! You could always sell the parts off, of course, if you're not planning on using them, or mixing and matching parts for one build or the other.

Rick Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2012 at 11:40pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Great work on the Ventura! It's such a nifty little ship (unlike all too many attempts at pre-Constitution-class ships, such as the NX-01, JB came up with something that really neatly fits* into the design lineage), and so it's rather cool to see a real-life model of it. It's going to be great to see it alongside the Enterprise when it's finished!

*briefly considered correcting the split infinitive there, but decided against it, because it felt oddly appropriate...

<< Prev Page of 128 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version