Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 165 Next >>
Topic: Speaking of video games... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 10 August 2019 at 1:37am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Ugh.  Virtua Fighter.  Hate that game in YAKUZA 2 at the Sega Arcade.   Never played it in the 90s and now I understand why.  It's essentially STREET FIGHTER or MORTAL COMBAT with robots.  Hated those games back in the day and, playing it in YAKUZA to get achievements, is torturous.  
Back to Top profile | search

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 August 2019 at 3:23am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Oh dear Matt, you'll have to play some Virtua Fighter 5 in Judgement. Though to be fair, 5 is a much more accessible game than the earlier ones.

Going back to what you said earlier, no it doesn't look like will get Kiwami editions of 3-5 but you just never know with these guys.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Carlos Velasco
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2019 at 3:14am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I just discovered this thread! Nice discussion you've got here. I have several questions:

1) Am I the only one who only plays video games released before the year 2000? I especially enjoy MS-DOS games lately.

2) Does anyone know if Mr. Byrne likes video games at all?

3) This is an off-topic technical question about the forum for Matt Reed: A couple of days ago, I was able to create a new topic without issues.

However, when I try to create a second one, the forum displays the following error:

Microsoft SQL Native Client error '80040e21'

Multiple-step OLE DB operation generated errors. Check each OLE DB status value, if available. No work was done.

/forum/post_message.asp, line 652

I tried from another browser, but the error remains. I have written an email to support@byrnerobotics.com , but the delivery fails. Am I banned from creating new topics or is this a technical bug?

Edited by Carlos Velasco on 11 August 2019 at 3:18am

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2019 at 5:30am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Hey Carlos.

As well as playing new stuff (PS4 and Switch) I'm a lover of retro games.

I've got a room dedicated to older machines, currently set up in there are:

Sega Master System 
Sega Mega Drive 
Sega Saturn
Sega Dreamcast 
NEC PC Engine w/CD Rom
Nintendo NES
Nintendo Super Famicom 
Nintendo GameCube
Nintendo Wii
Nintendo Wii U
PS3
Xbox 360
Commodore Amiga
And all kinds of old handhelds. 

Carlos Velasco
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2019 at 12:08pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Amazing collection!

And maybe this is a good chance for me to recommend you some of my favorite retro systems, that are not included in your collection:

- PS1: Yes, you can play PS1 on the PS3, but I include it in case you missed all the classics from the era. There are a lot of hidden gems too. The original Tomb Raider, ISS Pro 98, Abe's Oddysee, MDK... You can't play PS1 enough.

- PS2: I prefer PS1, but PS2 has so many games that it's impossible that you don't like at least 5 or 10. Check out the football game Winning Eleven 5: Final Evolution, it's the best tiki taka simulation out there.

- 8 bit computers: ZX Spectrum, Amstrad CPC... Those machines have many exclusive games, most of them programmed in the UK, Spain and France. Check out Saboteur, Head over Heels and Matchday 2.

I'm not a fan of current games, I just love the realistic graphics they have. But I feel they are not using that processing power to create fun experiences, most of the new games are based in other games created 20 years ago. I believe they should use the physics engines to create a game where you can try to survive all kinds of natural disasters or terrorist attacks, complete with building collapse and plane crashing simulations. The game would be controversial but definitely something that you couldn't get on the Amiga or the Dreamcast. Of course, they will never release that, as they avoid controversy and they prefer longer games where players can perform busywork for 100 hours.

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2019 at 12:35am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Somehow missed the PSX and PlayStation 2 off the list!

ZX Spectrum was the first home computer my family had. Amazing games library. I'm actually playing the Switch release of Saboteur at the moment. 

Craig Markley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2019 at 6:26am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Richard, are all of your systems hooked up to a central
monitor/tv? How do you have them arranged? I have a
good number of systems as well and have been wanting to
do something with them.

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2019 at 8:52am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I've got two TVs Craig, a CRT TV (I'd forgotten how big these can be until this Trinitron came!) for the standard definition consoles and a wall mounted flat screen for the more modern consoles. Largely they're all hooked up, there's a couple that need having their video cables swapped over but I plan on getting an adapter to boost both TVs' inputs. 

Carlos Velasco
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2019 at 9:29am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I think children should play retro systems instead of new ones.

No graphic violence, thousands of free games... What do you think?

And they can also learn that they don't need to buy things to have fun (they can download ROMs instead!).

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 20 August 2019 at 2:29am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Sorry I'm late to the game...

Carlos Velasco wrote:
1) Am I the only one who only plays video games released before the year 2000? I especially enjoy MS-DOS games lately.

I'm a console guy.  Always have been. Predates the Atari 2600 actually. But I've recently been getting into reformatted games for the PS4 that have been previously unavailable.  My latest obsession has been DOOM. I played the updated version released a couple of years ago, but never played the classic 1-3.  I'm on 3 now and it's fantastic.  Graphics with regard to human cut scenes, not so much, but when it's first person and with the range of audio we have now?  Outstanding.  

Other than that?  I do tend to buy bundled versions of old Genesis collections to get my retro fix. That was the system post Atari that I gravitated to as I was never a Nintendo guy.  In other words, I'm the specific console guy that never "got" LEGEND OF ZELDA.  It holds zero meaning to me even though I've been playing video games for over 40 years.

QUOTE:
2) Does anyone know if Mr. Byrne likes video games at all?  

No.  Not at all. 

QUOTE:
3) This is an off-topic technical question about the forum for Matt Reed: A couple of days ago, I was able to create a new topic without issues.

However, when I try to create a second one, the forum displays the following error:
 Not familiar with this error, sorry.  But there is a thread on the main page at the top that deals with technical issues.  Best to ask that question there.  

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 20 August 2019 at 2:57am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

My personal home video game journey...

PONG

Handheld football by Mattel

SPACE INVADERS on the PC

Arcades

ATARI 2600

SEGA Genesis

PS 1-4

Of those systems, I still own them all but several PS consoles don't work any more.  My original 2600?  Works like a charm. My original Genesis?  Same. 

Boxed up in their original packaging.  

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 20 August 2019 at 3:13am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Carlos Velasco wrote:
I think children should play retro systems instead of new ones.

Depends.  I would have killed to play a game like HORIZON: ZERO DAWN as a kid.  Ditto RED DEAD REDEMPTION 1 or 2.  If I could have discovered the YAKUZA series as an 18 year old, holy shit.  Same for GTA or DYING LIGHT or SPIDER-MAN or WITCHER 3 or GOD OF WAR or DRAGON AGE: INQUISITION or SNIPER ELITE or TITANFALL 2 or the rebooted LAURA CROFT series.  Excuse me, but fuck.  So many games.  

This is the Golden Age for video games, bar none.  

<< Prev Page of 165 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version