Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 169 Next >>
Topic: Speaking of video games... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 22 February 2020 at 4:18am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Just finished SNIPER GHOST WARRIOR: CONTRACTS.  Yes, that's a mouthful.  Fun game but  it comes with a ton of bugs that will kick you out of a contract unexpectedly.  It is certainly modeled after the recent hit HITMAN series of games in that there is no real "campaign" (except the convoluted story to get your character to where they are), but a series of contracts to be fulfilled though five maps.  It steals a TON from SNIPER ELITE from it's stealth play to it's bullet cam to it's maps, but the sum is certainly less than the story driven parts of the whole.  In short, it's a fine game to bridge the gap, so to speak, between releases of ELITE but it's a pale substitute.  I will say that the environment is gorgeous and the moding fairly effortless, whereas the ELITE games are often muddled.  

This game is a recommend with a caveat that I wouldn't pay full price.  
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 28 February 2020 at 2:18am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Started playing SAM'S STORY, the DLC that recently came out for METRO EXODUS.  While fun, it's got the same thing about it (that I can't quite put my finger on) that made me love/hate the first game.  I particularly hated the battle with the boss in the first two chapters, that being with the "batwing". The game, up until that point, had never taught you how to face a boss like that.  Never even came close to forcing it upon you, but here you were thrust into a fighting mechanism that (to me) felt at odds with everything that came before.  So I put it on pause and started...

THE OUTER WORLDS.  It's basically a well-done mashup of FALLOUT and BOARDERLANDS.  I've barely dipped my toe into its waters, but the familiarity is overwhelming.  Like putting on a comfortable, well worn pair of shoes.  There's nothing new here (so far), but it's a tale well told.  I can already tell that it's going to take 80 to 100 hours at least to finish this game, so take that into consideration.  The visuals are stunning on a 4k TV, the voice work is compelling and the atmosphere of the first planet is palpable.  Worldbuilding at it's finest right out of the gate.  Matt like.

Robin Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 March 2020 at 7:38pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I just started Resident Evil 2 for the first time ever. This game is gorgeous on PC and smooths over a lot of the stuff I find super annoying about the Resident Evil games.

RT
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 March 2020 at 8:48pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Has anyone played RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2 on PC? I'm considering a purchase but I've found previous Rock Star Games games nearly unplayable in Windows.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 26 March 2020 at 8:47pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

So hit me up with some video game recommendations. In this age of unemployment due to the Covid-19, I'm racing through my back catalogue! 

I wrapped THE OUTERS WORLDS last week and it was an absolute joy.  HIGHLY recommended.

I'm currently playing through HITMAN 2.  A fun game to play for a couple of hours at a pop, but I really miss a solo campaign with an overarching story.

Bought BOARDERLANDS 3 and CONTROL yesterday.  Both on sale on the PS store this week.  Heard great things about CONTROL and it's only $23 (haven't seen it for less than $39.99 on the PS store or $49.99 at retailers).  BOARDERLANDS will be BOARDERLANDS.  I loved the first two games, so I'm sure this will be no different.

Finally, still co-op playing THE DIVISION 2 with Simko.  We just reached Roosevelt Island and I'll be damned if it isn't the toughest mission yet.  Tons of fun.  We also played A WAY OUT.  Really fun game.  Mostly puzzles and some low key gun battles, but a really fun story.  Won't spoil it, but the ending wasn't what either one of us was expecting.  It has to be played with another person, but only one of you need to purchase it.  The other can piggyback, which is pretty cool.

So...what say you?

Robin Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2020 at 5:56pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I really really liked Control though on the OG Xbox One the framerate is BRUTAL. I bought Doom Eternal and Ori and both are really really hard. Doom Eternal is nothing like Doom 2016 and more mechanically difficult and less fun and funny. Ori and the Will of the Wisps is fantastic but also relentlessly hard so if you are not good at or don't dig platformers it may not be for you. Doom Eternal has a TON of platforming too.

Hit me up if you want a co-op pal anytime

xbox:darvin111
psn: darvin111
steam: darvin11

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 28 March 2020 at 12:36am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I'm down, but will you play DIVISION 2?  We desperately need another member! 

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 28 March 2020 at 12:41am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Robin Taylor wrote:
Doom Eternal is nothing like Doom 2016 and more mechanically difficult and less fun and funny.

This will drive me away from it, so good to know. I hate grinding though a game and this sounds like work.  I think I'll pass right now. 

Robin Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2020 at 7:20am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I have Division 2 on all platforms so it me up

RT

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2020 at 5:23am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I had finally gotten to the point where I was going to
tackle Ganon in Breath of the Wild...and then March 20th
happened. Has there EVER been a more fortuitous release
date for a game than the one Animal Crossing: New
Horizons stumbled into? My wife I and both have been
playing it *incessantly*.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robin Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2020 at 11:49am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I am playing XCOM Chimera Squad and Gears Tactics. I really like XCOM, but Gears is a mixed bag. It is a very good looking game that has wide swings in difficulty and seems far more random in outcome than I am used to from Xcom. It's far more of a horde style game where it is easy to be overwhelmed by groups of enemies. I will stick with it for a bit and see how it goes.

Chimera Squad is different enough be fresh but still very comfortable.

RT

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 25 June 2020 at 12:00am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Here's a rundown of the games I've been playing during the pandemic:

THE DIVISION 2 - One of the better Tom Clancy franchise games.  Great co-op, which is why I bought it, and challenging missions.  Two dings against it:  1) the missions feel repetitive (especially once you start leveling up) and 2) grinding for gear scored equipment.  Simko and I would spend at least thirty minutes at the beginning of our co-op time together going through our respective backpacks to break down equipment, organizing load outs, and marking things to sell.  Guns given "scores" are only incrementally better the higher they go.  A confusing mod system and a fetch quest system whereby certain loot is dropped for a certain amount of time in specific districts really hampers organic play.  Once you complete the main mission and the DLC, the rest is just a tireless focus on incrementally improving your character by repeating the exact same missions over and over and over again.  What was originally fun became a slog.  Better as a co-op game, but I wouldn't recommend it if you're interested in a singular experience. 

GHOST RECON: BREAKPOINT - The same could be said for this game.  Upon its release, it was touted as a failure and rightfully so.  It focused on in-game purchases and gear grinding (the same as THE DIVISION 2) but to an absurd extent. That choice was not well received and Ubisoft eventually responded by unveiling a "Ghost Mode" that took gear scores out and that's when Simko and I finally bought it.  It's a fun game to dip in and out of to be sure, but the narrative is lost on me.  With the exception of Jon Bernthal, the voice acting is abysmal.  The map is a confusing mishmash that doesn't allow any filtering at all.  Game/Story progression is an afterthought because, let's be real, they'll never get off this island.  The main hub, Erewhon, was a source of consistent jokes between Simko and I not only because it takes an extraordinarily long time to jog to where you want to go (sprinting is turned off) but is a chore to return to just to finish a mission.  We bought the game for less than $15, so no complaints, but it lacks any sort of compelling narrative, has no character you can really root for and seems to fall into the Tom Clancy trap of "seasons" to keep you endlessly coming back for no real reason other than to keep your character up to date.  Great as a co-op mission planner game at the get go, but as something deep and sustainable?  A non-starter.

WE HAPPY FEW - Really fun Kickstarter crowd funded game.  It's old school and shows some of the limitations of that kind of gameplay, but all in all a really compelling narrative filled with characters I care about.  It follows three interconnected stories in which you eventually play all three characters from their point of view.  They don't spend much time together, so their shared stories aren't long, but are integral to the game.  I have some knocks against gameplay and the like, but this is the kind of game I can really get behind because it's trying to do something different while also doing things that are familiar to gamers (loot chests, farming, crafting, etc.).  

SAINTS ROW: THE THIRD REMASTERED - Best game I've played during the pandemic (until the one I'll mention in a separate post below).  I only got into SR with IV. Loved that game so much that when I saw they remastered the third game, I was all in and convinced Simko to come along with me for the ride.  I don't think he's disappointed.  It's absolutely fantastic.  We can spend hours just shooting up the streets or driving around looking for side missions.  The visuals are definitely upgraded (they look great on a 65" 4K TV) and the sound has been augmented for higher end systems.  This was an early console co-op game and, as such, the mechanics are rudimentary but they are nonetheless seamless nine years after it was first released.  Where respawing is awkward, reviving is quick.  Take the good with the bad.  It's a fun blast-from-the-past when games didn't take themselves so seriously and you could just destroy nearly everything in sight.  

That's my quick review of the games I've played during COVID, but here's a longer form review of a game that has somehow become controversial in just a few hours after its release...

<< Prev Page of 169 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version