Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 165 Next >>
Topic: Speaking of video games... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2013 at 9:07am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I was in the holding off camp, but I recently just decided to go ahead and pre-order the PS4. We have both a PS3 and a 360 that we switch back and forth between. Previously though, I've really been an X-Box guy, and the only stuff we've really gotten on PS3 are exclusives, of which there have been a significant number. But with the fact that the PS4 is simply the better system hardware-wise, that its a hundred dollars cheaper, and it isn't saddled with the silly Kinect interface, its a no-brainer as to which way I'm ultimately going to go. Especially since the main producers of X-Box exclusives that previously pulled me in that direction are no longer exclusive (Bioware, Bungie, etc.) and there are still significant PS exclusives.

That said, there are still several games I'll be getting on the old consoles between now and then like Assassin's Creed, South Park, Arkham Origins, Beyond: Two Souls, etc. But once we get into 2014, there are games like Destiny and The Order: 1886 that I know I'm going to want to be playing on the PS4.
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Morin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2013 at 12:55pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I just started Rage: Anarchy Edition (Xbox 360). It is a combo of Fallout 3 and Red Faction: Guerilla.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 27 July 2013 at 9:22am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Playing TOMB RAIDER.  A pretty nifty update/origin story for Laura Croft.  The only frustrating thing has been battling the hoards of villains during several missions so far, but I'll say this for it; at least it prepares you to fight masses in a way that BIOSHOCK: INFINITE did not.  They work you up to that kind of boss battle so that when it comes, you're ready for it. INFINITE just tossed that kind of chaos into the final battle with nothing to prepare you for it. 

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2013 at 3:41pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I have preordered several games.

Saints Row IV  (silly crass open world fun with fake radio stations and nonsense)
The Bureau: X-Com Declassified  (a third person tactical shooter set in the 60's where you fight aliens)
Lost Planet 3 (robots)
Batman Arkham Origins (Hopefully as good as Arkham Asylum and Arkham City are )
Battlefield 4 (mostly for multiplayer)

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Craig Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2013 at 8:08am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Ok, seriously.  You guys need to get on the stick and play The Last of Us.  I have no one to talk about that game with.

#TeamJoel

Edited by Craig Robinson on 04 August 2013 at 8:12am

Roy Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2013 at 9:47am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Anyone playing "Dishonored"?

I've done two low chaos runs (still managed to accidentally/negligently kill about 3 people on the last run), but like the stealthy aspect to it - it's like being Whalepunk-Batman.

Thoughts on the game?

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2013 at 11:39am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I quite liked Dishonored. I haven't done Knife of Dunwall yet though.

Craig Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2013 at 11:45am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I really enjoy Dishonored and I love games that encourage non-lethal gameplay, especially Metal Gear.  The problem is that all the really cool gadgets in that game are lethal.  I wish the gadgets supported more non-lethal play.  I love the spring-razor trap.  Seems like they could have made a non-lethal counterpart, like a whale-glue trap or something.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2013 at 11:50am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

This may be the coolest game special edition ever. I wonder if some nut will actually pony up the million dollars.

HERE

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2013 at 8:50pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Reminds me of the whole 'save in your pepsi points and you could earn your own Harrier' thing from the 90's.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 13 August 2013 at 11:06pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Obviously for those who have played it, what are your thoughts on THE LAST OF US?  I'm in the middle of it right now and my feelings are mixed.  As a story driven, character video game I'm not sure that anything has come so close to perfection.  But as a pure video game, I'm not sure it measures up.  I say that because stealth is the preferred option here at all costs.  I love me some stealth playing.  That's actually how I prefer to play a given character in any game as opposed to going in guns a' blazzin' 100% of the time all the time, but here it's a requirement.  The environment demands that you play stealth mode.  Great for realism because you'd never want to confront hoards of undead, but at the end of the day it's a video game.  Confronting hoards of anything is the name of the game.  

I dunno.  Haven't finished it so my opinion may change, but my midway thought is that it's a fantastic character game that's low on basic video game elements that I love. 

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2013 at 11:56am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Re: Last of Us, I felt exactly the same way when I was halfway through the game. It was a gorgeous, atmospheric game, incredibly well-written, but I was finding the stealth gameplay to be getting really really repetitive. What I discovered though, is that it was more me than the game limiting myself to stealth. Certainly, there are many levels of the game where you're required to use stealth. There are, however, some later on where you literally can't. Once I figured that out, I was able to very my approach up enough that I had more fun. You can have the occasional shoot-out in that game (though it works better with humans than infected types).

So, in brief, I'd recommend experimenting a little bit with other approaches to combat. You'll die some, but I think its more fun.

<< Prev Page of 165 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version