Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 162 Next >>
Topic: Speaking of video games... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2013 at 4:00am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I've been in the thick of a Batman mood, comics and games, lately and I  just replayed Arkham City again. This time I'm going to finally go back and play it on "new game +" and try to get 100% completion. Love this series and really looking forward to Arkham Origins.
Back to Top profile | search

Steven McCauley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2013 at 7:39am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Uh ... when I look at little buildings and light standards, I sometimes think "Yeah, I could Blink up to that".

Too much Dishonored?

++++++++++++

I knew I was playing too much City of Heroes when I was driving down the highway, saw an electrical substation, and thought, "I bet I could find some Clockworks in there."

Playing some old school games my son found when digging in the garage:  Fallout (the original) and Call of Duty (the original)
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2013 at 9:27am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I'm curious about a few old school games. I bought Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 not long ago for 10 bucks total but still haven't gotten into them. I became of fan of Bioware with Neverwinter Nights and KOTOR just after that era of games. A forgot how much text was in old rpg's, but once I finally get myself into them, I'm sure I'll love them.

Craig Markley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2013 at 9:42am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Picked up Disney Infinity for my son's upcoming birthday. It comes with Sulley, Capt. Jack and Mr. Incredible figures. I also picked up Mike, Mater, Barbosa and Dash single figures as well as the Lone Ranger expansion pack. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Forgot to add it's for the WiiU system.

Edited by Craig Markley on 03 September 2013 at 9:45am

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 04 September 2013 at 10:23pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

After a couple of weeks off, I'm working my way back into THE LAST OF US.  Fun game, but after so many open worlds I really wish this was one of them.  As I'm fairly close to the end, I ordered SAINTS ROW THE THIRD.  Never played the franchise at all.  Thought about picking up the recently released SAINTS ROW IV, but it's gotten mixed reviews where the third installment has universally great reviews.  It being a PS3 "Greatest Hits" doesn't hurt the wallet either, so we'll see how it goes. 

Jack Michaels
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2013 at 4:18am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Saints Row tends to get slightly mixed reviews. SR4 is slightly better reviewed than SR3, both of which focus on fun at the expense of sense and difficulty. They're a blast to play, but you'll run out of content after 15-20. You can get 100% and full achievements after about 40 hours. 

Anyway, I think SR4 is the better game. The super-powers completely undermines the cars, making the customization options totally useless. Mostly it's just a much better presented story, which is a brilliant parody of Mass Effect 3 and other video games. 

The third one is basically one long dick joke. A big, jiggling purple dick joke which you hit other people with. It's funny, but the least involving of the series. 

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 05 September 2013 at 9:08am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

From what I've read of reviews on line, what kinda turned me off about SR4 was the overwhelming feeling that being so super really takes away from any challenge in the game.  One review even went so far as to say that you have to work really hard to die!  That kind of gameplay doesn't interest me.  I like knowing that the actions I take have consequences and one of the big ones is dying and going back to a checkpoint.  Makes me think about what I'm doing rather than just charging in half-cocked knowing that I'll win 90% of the time. 

Jack Michaels
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2013 at 1:16pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I don't want to turn you off of either game, as they're both amazingly fun; but SR3 is criminally easy. 

It starts off a bit tougher than SR4, but if you get up to level 50 (which is easy enough to do if you do all your side activities and go on kill crazy rampages), then you'll end up with infinite ammo, no reload times, and completely impervious to harm; because the upgrade system is completely broken at the highest levels. The first time through, I didn't buy any of the level 50 upgrades because they're essentially cheats. 

Level up your starting pistols and you'll be blowing through every enemy in the game with ease. The main difficulty is in keeping your homies alive or a mission specific car intact. 

If you want a challenge, seek out Saints Row 2, which also has ridiculously powered upgrades, but which are really hard to get thanks to the tiered activity system. The voice acting talent on display is hard to beat. 

But since you're new to the series, SR3 is a very good place to start. It skips forward a few years from SR2 and everyone gets a proper introduction. SR4 is meant to be the grand finale of the series, so it brings back lots of old favorites stretching all the way back to the first game. It revels in its history in a way SR3 does not. It's the sort of game which features Keith David playing himself and the (dead) character Keith David played in the first two games. 

It's still among my favorite game franchises. It started off as a pretty straight rip-off of Grand Theft Auto and by continuing the story and it's one of the few GTA clones which have managed to establish a totally different identity for itself. 

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2013 at 6:47pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Matt the console version of SR4 is pretty bad as far as frame rate goes. The game doesn't run well on consoles.  If I were you I'd get the PC ($10 cheaper) version and play it with a usb console style controller. 

I thought it was pretty fun even without challenge since jumping around and using all the powers is kind of fun in and of itself and if you stay and fight you can be killed. It's the power to run off that kind of spoils things.

Jack Michaels
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2013 at 5:35am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The running power really only spoils the car customization aspect of the game, which has been a selling feature since the start of the series. 

Since they're re-using the same map from the third game (they do alter it a bit to make it more vertical), it's not really a thing. Without the running power, the sense of deja vu probably would be over-powering; but since you're getting around the city in a completely different way it's still a pretty fresh experience. 

As a super-power game, it's along the lines of Prototype with the orb hunting aspect of Crackdown thrown in. 

And I love, love, love the gun customization in SR4. You can re-skin your pistols to look and shoot like Star Trek phasers, turn your assault rifles into Tommy Guns, etc. There's so many features in SR3 and SR4 that I hope become standard, like being able to quickly jump into a car when you're hijacking it. Nothing says quick escape like Bo-Duking a car in the middle of a shoot-out. Most games see you calmly walking into position to steal it. 

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 06 September 2013 at 7:03am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

iNFAMOUS is my favorite superhero franchise.  It's really the only game I've played that actually makes me feel like a superhero.  Really looking forward to what they do with it for the PS4.

Rich Marzullo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2013 at 10:50am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

You mean SUPERMAN 64 didn't do that for you Matt?

<< Prev Page of 162 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version