Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 31 Next >>
Topic: And the Contempt Continues (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2010 at 12:46pm | IP Logged | 1  

It doesn't help that there is a precedent for Underwear superheroes

Red tornado being first

Supersnipe a boy who wore his long underwear costume in his imagination to fight crime in his dreams.
Supergoof set out to fight the phantom blot!
Captain Klutz who accidentally foild a bank robbery.
and of course Forbush Man!

The main difference is of course, that these are done with love and obviously are Longjohns being used to simulate what a real superhero would wear.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 June 2010 at 12:51pm | IP Logged | 2  

Parody is not precedent. In fact, parody FOLLOWS precedent.

On the very first page of the very first Spider-Man story, Stan himself refers to superheroes as "long underwear characters", saying that that was how these characters were known in the business.

Except, they weren't! Not as a general rule, anyway. Not to ANYONE I have asked who was working in the business back then. They were just called "superheroes", and what they wore was called "costumes".

An unfortunate example, perhaps, of Stan's rootie-tootie style taking him, for a moment, down the wrong path. (Perhaps he was trying to still seem hip and happening, as they changed the content, and dropped a key word from the title of that last issue of AMAZING ADULT FANTASY!)

Back to Top profile | search

Donald Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2010 at 12:55pm | IP Logged | 3  

It's inevitable. Many writers today approach a subject without regard to the subject's context or history. It's as if the writer treats the subject as though it came into existence the very moment the writer became aware of it.

That in itself is showing contempt for your subject...If someone asked me to do a write up on comics, I would first try to learn a little bit about the topic. It's just not that hard to do.

Edited by Donald Miller on 25 June 2010 at 12:56pm

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2010 at 1:02pm | IP Logged | 4  

QUOTE:
It's inevitable. Many writers today approach a
subject without regard to the subject's context or
history. It's as if the writer treats the subject as
though it came into existence the very moment the writer
became aware of it.

Spot on. I detest this attitude that seems to pervade any
article written by "laymen" in regards to fantasy, sci-
fi, superheroes, etc.

I'm far from anal about satire or parody when it comes to
superheroes, but ignorance and a seeming unwillingness to
comprehend basic conceits irks me.

I've longed believed that people that don't like
fantasy/sci-fi shouldn't review or critique those genres.
Those types often lack the imagination or historical
grounding to do justice to the subject.

Phil Geiger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2010 at 1:42pm | IP Logged | 5  

I'd have been tempted to comment "I made no changes whatsoever to Wonder Woman's underwear." Of course, *I* could say that. If JB did, new Bad Byrne stories would abound.

Brian Joseph Mayer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2010 at 1:48pm | IP Logged | 6  

"That said, it takes more than simple lack of understanding of the forms and conventions to refer to a superhero's costume as "underwear". It takes contempt. "

I think you are wrong.

Ask my four year old and my nine year old what they would call them.  Unless you think they are actually full of contempt too. I see them simply identifying what they can relate too. Many adults do this too.

Oh, and being "reactionary", in this instance, referred to the established mindset of assuming civilians who use incorrect terminology as benig contemptuous. I did not mean anyone was reacting to anything.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2010 at 1:56pm | IP Logged | 7  

I see them simply identifying what they can relate too. Many adults do this too

So, they see Wonder Woman, and the first thing an adult can relate to is that she's running around in her panties? Not a swimsuit bottom or anything like that. She's got to be fighting crime in her panties?

Donald Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2010 at 1:59pm | IP Logged | 8  

Ask my four year old and my nine year old what they would call them.  Unless you think they are actually full of contempt too. I see them simply identifying what they can relate too. Many adults do this too.

I would assume that if you allowed your four year old to interview a comic book legend in order to write an article based on his profession, you would have first taught him to familiarize himself with the medium and it's standards rather than show CONTEMPT for the medium by going in unprepared and at least clueless about, but more likely disdainful of the medium. 

Derek S. Wilczynski
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2010 at 2:02pm | IP Logged | 9  

JB, I'm not quite so sure that its contempt for comics and superheroes, but a trend for folks in the media just to be immersed in pop culture moreso than whoever they are talking to or communicating with.  I think it permeates all forms of media.  I've heard sports commentators talk about "puck", referring to hockey. ("Let's talk some puck now.")  Or they will refer to a teams nickname with another nickname.  ("Let's talk about the Snakes now," referring to the Arizona Diamondbacks.)

On the web, writers use shorthand now more than ever, or hip hop terms, when writing columns or even straight news stories. 

And, honestly, with the way Victoria Secret permeates my mailbox, sometimes I think people who refer to costumes as long underwear mean it as a compliment.  Same with spandex.  I'm sure some use the term derisively, but not any more than by referring to "hockey" as "puck."

(Jim Rome is an obvious perpetrator of this way of media presentation, but there are others.)

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 25 June 2010 at 2:03pm | IP Logged | 10  

Brian Joseph Mayer wrote:
Ask my four year old and my nine year old what they would call them.  Unless you think they are actually full of contempt too. I see them simply identifying what they can relate too.

Considering that we're talking about a journalist who is more than likely neither four or nine, I think that we can exclude your analogy.  I'm quite sure no one here is slamming kids for not understanding the correct terminology. 

As a journalist, however, it's their job to know the subject they are writing about is it not?  To at least be familiar enough with the subject to write about it accurately?  I certainly hope that we hold journalists to a higher standard of research than we would, say, anyone off the street or your own children. 

It seems as though you like to pop in and declare people "wrong" in a ton of threads.  Don't know if that's your nature or if you really do disagree with people more often than you agree with them.  In any case, can you at least see that decades of derisive behavior and attitudes from people who don't read the form against those that do might somehow influence a perception that calling something worn on the outside of your clothing "underwear" is at the very least demeaning if not down right contemptuous?

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2010 at 2:03pm | IP Logged | 11  

Another term used is "long underwear types." That's not suggesting contempt?

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2010 at 2:27pm | IP Logged | 12  

If I were to e-mail Winton Marsalis and ask him to comment about Louis Armstrong's "saxophone" abilities, I doubt I'd get a response.

Now before this is assumed to be an extreme example, I just ask why comics can't be taken at least somewhat as seriously. I've mentioned before how when I've refused to see a film based on a novel because of relatively minor changes to character and context, that POV is respected but actual fans of comics will think I'm being picky for not seeing a superhero film because the lead isn't in the correct costume or isn't the correct nationality.
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 31 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version