Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Q for JB: Superman’s marriage (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2010 at 3:26pm | IP Logged | 1  

In Spain there was a sitcom, "Los Serrano", where in the last episode the protagonist commits suicide and then he wakes up in his bed. finally it was explained that all the episodes were a a dream he had in the first episode
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brandon Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2010 at 3:28pm | IP Logged | 2  

Superman and Lois were married for a while in the newspaper strip. When National Comics noticed they ordered it immediately undone, and it turned out to be a dream.

The Spider-Man newspaper strip did sort of the opposite of that.  When the comics reverted to a single Peter Parker 2 or 3 years ago, the comic strip later followed suit.  After a few months, it was revealed that the recent single Peter Parker stuff was a dream and Peter and Mary Jane were still married!  I don't know if it may have been planned all along or if pressure from readers or elsewhere may have played a part in the reversal.

Marc M. Woolman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2010 at 4:11pm | IP Logged | 3  

I'm more interested in this question:
JB, as somebody who had a major impact on Superman, do you think Superman should be married or single?

I think of the Man of Steel Revamp as near-brilliant. It was exactly what Superman needed at the time, so I'd find your thoughts regarding Superman's marriage very interesting.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 July 2010 at 8:13pm | IP Logged | 4  

Superman has had a habit, thru his long publishing history, of periodically turning into a middle aged guy. Basically, he turns into the people writing him. The marriage was the ultimate example of this. And it was a TERRIBLE idea.

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2010 at 8:18pm | IP Logged | 5  

There are people on CBR Batman forums that think Batman is
40+ now. I kid you not.

Andy Thomas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2010 at 8:47pm | IP Logged | 6  

The brilliant, Stan Lee, was one of the few that I've seen who has been able to write a decent love story that could bring out sentiment in the reader. I'm referring to the Silver Surfer series here, and Radd's quest to be reunited with Shalla-Bal. The introduction of Mephisto in that series did give the reader something to think about because Stan set the stage correctly to introduce the conflict, as brilliant writers do.

I heard about this usage of Mephisto with Spiderman recently of all characters, which I assume you all are referring to. Doesn't fit the mold of a Spiderman villain to me. Just more evidence for me that good writers are hard to come by in the business these days, although it is difficult when the best story lines have already been told.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2010 at 9:24pm | IP Logged | 7  

There are people on CBR Batman forums that think Batman is 
40+ now. I kid you not.

---

As much as I hate the idea, he IS 40+ now. Do the math. 

Kid with Talia al Ghul - well after he became Batman - is now 10 years old. 

Tim Drake has aged about 5-6 years since he became Robin at age 13 (he's still a teen though, so at oldest he can be 19). 

Dick Grayson is about 27. 

Yep, Batman HAS to be over 40 in the current continuity. Otherwise, he was 19 when he became Batman and thus only a few years older than Dick when he became Robin. 

Edited by Brad Krawchuk on 08 July 2010 at 9:27pm

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2010 at 9:50pm | IP Logged | 8  

If memory serves, Bruce was 25 during Year One. Is that
still cannon?

The problem with all that is that you have his supporting
cast being aged too quickly, thus reflecting on his own
age.

Morrison said that he was writing Batman as being 35, which
is about how I see him. I assumed from this that DC is
still using the "10 year rule" more or less.

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2010 at 10:02pm | IP Logged | 9  

So he had the kid with Talia DURING Year One? 

Ugh, we shouldn't even start this. We probably both agree (from your stance on the CBR board opinion) that Batman should be younger than he is, his cast should be younger, etc. 

Any further discussion on the matter leads the way to madness!

Mike Farley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2010 at 10:06pm | IP Logged | 10  

The last solid age point I remember for Batman (and Superman) was Zero Hour where both were established to be 34, if I remember correctly. I don't think 6 years have passed in universe since then.

And I thought Tim Drake was the same age as Cassie Sandsmark and Supergirl, both of whom are 17 I believe.

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2010 at 10:34pm | IP Logged | 11  

And I thought Tim Drake was the same age as Cassie Sandsmark and Supergirl, both of whom are 17 I believe.

---

He was 17 before Infinite Crisis - after which, a year was skipped so he was 18 when Face the Face started. How long was Batman back in comic time before he died in Final Crisis? At least 6 months, since that's how long it took Batwoman to heal after the end of 52, and she meets Batman before he dies after she heals. 

Tim's gotta be 18, close to 19 now. 

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2010 at 12:27am | IP Logged | 12  

Batman has to be 40+ and I mean either 43 or 45 years of age because of what was mentioned earlier.  The supporting cast has aged.  My goodness, check out Jason Todd, he looks really mature.  Why is it a problem for sidekicks to remain young?  Is it because of their own titles that the writers are embarrassed with the state of the character that they need to make him at an age where they'll be comfortable?  What's so wrong to have a teen book with a fun teen character? 

Dick Grayson should have never went to college!  I hate the whole Titans line.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version