Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: TRUE BELIEVER becomes WITH GREAT POWER! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2010 at 5:37pm | IP Logged | 1  

Some of you may recall me posting in the past about my involvement with the production of a documentary entitled "TRUE BELIEVER: The Stan Lee Documentary." Well, it's been a long post-production process, and I hadn't heard much of anything from the producer, Nikki Frakes, but she contacted me again today and updated me on the film's status.

First is the change of the film's title. It is now called "With Great Power: The Stan Lee Story." The film has been scored, and a final cut put together. The distribution rights is still being hammered out, but there will be a showing of the film this year at the San Diego Comicon.

Here is a press release that Ms. Frakes told me I could pass along:

Face Front True Believers!!

"With Great Power: The Stan Lee Story" will premiere at Comic Con - San Diego on Saturday, July 24th 2010 at 8:30PM in room 6BCF!!

"With Great Power: The Stan Lee Story"
is a feature length documentary on Marvel Comics icon Stan Lee!  Lee is the co-creator of Spider-Man, Iron Man, X-Men, Hulk and over 500 other comic book characters.  We invite you to join us to learn how Lee rose from his humble Brooklyn beginnings to co-creating many of the world’s most well known characters. 

Following the screening will be a brief panel with: Stan The Man himself, Executive Producer Michael Uslan (The Dark Knight), Executive Producer Tom DeSanto (X-Men, Transformers), Actor Lou Ferrigno (The Incredible Hulk TV Show), Illustrator Jim Lee (Marvel, DC), Paul Levitz (Former President of DC Comics), Jack Kirby b
iographer Mark Evanier and the With Great Power producing team Terry Dougas, Nikki Frakes and Will Hess.  Seating is first come first serve so be sure to get in line early. 

You won’t want to miss this one!!

Back to Top profile | search | www

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2010 at 7:40pm | IP Logged | 2  

Matt, any word if this might actually get a theatrical release. or is it going straight to DVD?
Back to Top profile | search | email

Albert Matthews
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2010 at 8:01pm | IP Logged | 3  

A friend of mine helped with the computer graphics on this film (at least I'm presuming it's this film; unless there's another Stan Lee doc on the way), and so I'm certainly anxious to see it. Unfortunately, he told me that Stan shared at least two deeply heart-rending stories from his life which he later asked the filmmakers not to use. So, as far as I can tell, we're just going to get more of Stan doing his P.T. Barnum schtick, lots of quasi-famous people telling us how great his work was, and no real humanity to make it truly memorable in the way that "Crumb" was. Naturally, I hope I'm wrong in this prediction. But at this point my expectations are extremely low.
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2010 at 11:37am | IP Logged | 4  

Stephen wrote:
...Matt, any word if this might actually get a theatrical release. or is it going straight to DVD..

There is a possibility of a theatrical release. It all depends on the distribution deal that they get for the film. I know some possibly exciting news in that regard, but I am not at liberty to discuss it just yet.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2010 at 11:38am | IP Logged | 5  

Albert, I know some details about the film, so I can guess at what your friend is talking about. Unfortunately, as with the distribution deals, I am not allowed to discuss what I know about those details at the present time.

Edited to add: I should point out, I don't know anything about what has made the cut, I just know about some stuff that was going to be in the film that falls along the lines of what you posted about, Albert. My involvement on the whole has been more one of contributing some scans, information, and helping with promoting the film and running the MySpace page.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 10 July 2010 at 12:12pm

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2010 at 9:14pm | IP Logged | 6  

The producer, Nikki Frakes, passed along some info for me to share:

WITH GREAT POWER: THE STAN LEE STORY is a feature length documentary exploring the vivid life and imagination of Stan Lee from his depression era upbringing though the Marvel Age of comics and beyond!  The film uncovers original footage, photographs, documents and stories of Lee’s fascinating journey from his early years at Timely Comics, his service in WWII, the rise of the bullpen, the comic book industry’s censorship battle of the 1950’s through the dawn and explosion of Lee’s legendary co-creations.

The story is told through the words of Lee himself as well as numerous interviews with comic book creators, actors, film producers, family and friends.   It paints a portrait of a man whose creativity knows no bounds and whose characters have grown from humble beginnings to powerhouse properties in all media including film, television, video, games and beyond.

WITH GREAT POWER: THE STAN LEE STORY is produced and directed by: Terry Dougas, Nikki Frakes and Will Hess.

WITH GREAT POWER: THE STAN LEE STORY is an independent feature length documentary on the life and creations of Marvel Comics icon Stan Lee. 
EVENT RELEASE
July 15, 2010—Los Angeles, CA

An exclusive screening of the new documentary WITH GREAT POWER: THE STAN LEE STORY will premiere Saturday July 24th 2010 at Comic-Con International in San Diego, CA.

WITH GREAT POWER: THE STAN LEE STORY is an independent feature length documentary on the life and creations of Marvel Comics icon Stan Lee.

Following the premiere, there will be a brief panel featuring:

Stan Lee, Chairman Emeritus Marvel Comics, Chief Creative Officer, POW! Entertainment
Michael Uslan, Executive Producer, Batman, The Spirit, The Shadow
Tom DeSanto, Producer, X-Men, Transformers, X2
Bryan Singer, Director, X-Men, X2, X-Men Origins: Wolverine
Lou Ferrigno, Actor, The HULK TV Show
Jim Lee, Comic Book Illustrator, Marvel, DC
Paul Levitz, President, DC Comics
Mark Evanier, Jack Kirby Biographer
WITH GREAT POWER Filmmakers, Terry Dougas, Nikki Frakes, Will Hess

Arguably the most recognized name in comics, Lee has created more than 500 legendary pop culture characters including SPIDER-MAN, FANTASTIC FOUR, X-MEN and THE HULK.  Lee’s name appears on more than one billion comics, in 75 countries, in 25 languages.
The documentary, WITH GREAT POWER: THE STAN LEE STORY, takes viewers inside the vivid life, home and imagination of Stan Lee. The film uncovers original transcripts, illustrations, photographs and stories of Lee’s fascinating journey from his Depression-era upbringing through the Marvel age of comics and beyond.

WITH GREAT POWER: THE STAN LEE STORY interviews include: Actor Patrick Stewart, Actor Samuel L. Jackson, Actor Nicolas Cage, Actor Tobey Maguire, Musician Ringo Starr, Actress Kirsten Dunst, Comic Book Illustrator Todd McFarlane, Comic Book Illustrator John Romita Sr., Marvel Editor-in-Chief Joe Quesada, Captain America Co-Creator Joe Simon, Filmmaker Kevin Smith and more.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2010 at 3:31pm | IP Logged | 7  

Well, I finally got my credit listing on the IMDB page for WITH GREAT POWER (Yayy!!!):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1091863/fullcredits#cast

That's very cool, but I noticed that on my page on IMDB they have me mixed up with another "Matthew Hawes" who did some other film/TV work. Ah well... hopefully the corrections I submitted will be made.

Here's some cool shots that were put up on the Facebook page for WITH GREAT POWER:

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2010 at 3:33pm | IP Logged | 8  

Stan and Jack (left)

Stan and John Romita, Sr.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2010 at 4:54pm | IP Logged | 9  

Matt,

Congrats on the IMDB entry!  Great early pics of Stan... thanks for posting them.  I'm struck by how much that first pic of Stan Lee reminds me of a young Robert Culp.  Even as he starts to age a little (as in the last pic with moustache), I still see a passing resemblance.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2010 at 7:51pm | IP Logged | 10  

Thanks, Rick. You know, I can kind of see what you mean about the Robert Culp likeness.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2010 at 7:52pm | IP Logged | 11  

LOVE the one where he's wearing the shades! He reminds me of that publisher JB had taking nekkid pics of She-Hulk in the FF issue. ( 275?)

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2010 at 3:22pm | IP Logged | 12  

More rare Stan pics!

Young Stanley Martin Lieber

Stan with his parents and younger brother Larry.

Stan in the service, 1940's

Stan in the service working on some posters, 1943

Stan, circa 1950's

Stan Lee, 1953

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2010 at 3:45pm | IP Logged | 13  

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2010 at 3:45pm | IP Logged | 14  

The picture above is of Stan Lee and a full orchestra at Capitol Records recording for the soundtrack.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2010 at 6:40pm | IP Logged | 15  

Stan's a southpaw!

Chris Hutton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2010 at 8:27pm | IP Logged | 16  

I wish I could be in San Diego...now I will have to wait for this with the masses. Grrrrr!
Back to Top profile | search | www | email

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2010 at 8:08am | IP Logged | 17  

Here's a promo poster for the advanced showing:

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2010 at 10:21am | IP Logged | 18  

Wow, I'd have never recognized him in any of those younger pics.

Derek Cavin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2010 at 11:17am | IP Logged | 19  

Ditto.

JT Molloy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2010 at 11:32am | IP Logged | 20  

I almost did /editing graphics work on this when I lived in L.A.! I had to move home before I met up with the guy a second time.

GRRR!

Woulda been SO much fun to have on the resume!

I saw a rough cut of the intro and it looked amazing.

Conner Dinkins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2010 at 11:52am | IP Logged | 21  

I love Stan Lee! I met him years ago at a convention and he makes you feel like he's your best bud in the world. He's a riot at panels too.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2010 at 12:33pm | IP Logged | 22  

JT wrote:
...I almost did /editing graphics work on this when I lived in L.A...

That's cool, JT! I have only seen the trailer for the film so far, since my contributions to the film haven't required me to be anywhere near L.A. I can't wait to see the finished film.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 21 July 2010 at 12:33pm

Sebastien Roy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2010 at 12:43pm | IP Logged | 23  

Matt H., do you know Eddie DiAngelinie?  He's an acquaintance of mine who has been involved with this project...just wondering.

Like some of the other guys have pointed out, I never would have recognized young Stan also...

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2010 at 2:18pm | IP Logged | 24  

Sebastien, I don't know Eddie personally, but I have been communicating with him by e-mail about the film, and on Facebook, where he is running the WITH GREAT POWER fan page.

Here's a picture that Eddie posted on Facebook today of the WITH GREAT POWER poster:

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2010 at 2:54pm | IP Logged | 25  

I really want to see this.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version