Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 18 Next >>
Topic: Gay Couples Adopting (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 14 July 2010 at 1:34pm | IP Logged | 1  

You can test fetal genetics.  Think what that would do with the fanatics.

Back to Top profile | search

Marc Foxx
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2010 at 1:41pm | IP Logged | 2  

Not the specific answer you're looking for Chief, but as a father of an adopted child of a different heritage/ethnicity of my own, I feel compelled to offer my 2 cents...

First, I am in favor of gay men and women adopting. I've met many gay adoptive parents over the last couple of years and all of their children have seemed happy and well adjusted. One of Dylan's best friends (at the moment) is being raised by 2 women, one of whom is his biological mother and the other is her wife.

That said, I think it would be...limiting(?)...to say only Gay parents should raise Gay children, in the same way it would be limiting to say only Asian parents should raise Asian children, Black parents raise Black children or Latino parents raise Latino children, etc., etc.

Lord knows, I'm not the most culturally sensitive guy in the world, but I'm making it a point to expose him to and respect his Guatemalan roots. Will I be successful? I hope so. There are people who feel that no matter how "noble" my intentions are, Dylan will still be scarred (try googling "transracial abduction" some time). I hope they're wrong.

Edited by Marc Foxx on 14 July 2010 at 2:12pm

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Huber
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2010 at 1:52pm | IP Logged | 3  

I'm for adoption period. As long as there's no legal precedent not to. And by that I mean the afore mentioned pedophiles, etc. Too many need adopting, no matter what they may become. And yes I know the studies on genetics, but adolescents can't figure out what they want to eat or wear, let alone their direction down that winding road.

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2010 at 2:33pm | IP Logged | 4  

Somewhere John Peter Britton's head is exploding.

---

As nature intended!

A nurturing, loving home is what's more important for ALL kids. Anyone who can provide for a child and who can devote the time and energy into raising the child that way should be able to adopt. 

A good parent is a good parent, regardless of their sexual orientation or their child's sexual orientation. Gay parents can have straight kids, straight parents can have gay kids, and any other combination therein. Doesn't matter. What matters is, someone loves the child, makes sure the kid is fed, educated, and cared for, and takes the time to raise the child instead of letting a television or video game do the job. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2010 at 3:21pm | IP Logged | 5  

I have no problems with gay people adopting - period. It's a disgrace that it's not allowed even in so-called progressive countries like my own.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 July 2010 at 4:37pm | IP Logged | 6  

...to say that only Gay parents should raise Gay children...

••

Did somebody say that?

Mike Benson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2010 at 5:42pm | IP Logged | 7  

There seems to be some thinking here that Gay is something people BECOME -- as if it is learned behavior.

That's always dumbfounded me.  My very straight father immersed me in male culture,  sports, fishing, hunting, Charles Bronson movies.  And it did nothing to make me attracted to girls.  Didn't budge me.  And we didn't have this fancy internet.  I'm not sure I knew what "gay" was until I was at least 11 or 12.  So I literally had nothing from which to learn.  But just like all you who started liking girls "automatically" when you hit a certain point, my attraction didn't need to be taught to me.  It's just there.

I do have plenty of nieces and nephews.  And they have never known me as anything but gay.  And you know what?  They just accept it.  It's completely normal to them.  If anything, it's the bigotry that's learned.

Edited by Mike Benson on 14 July 2010 at 5:42pm

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2010 at 5:54pm | IP Logged | 8  

"I love musicals way more than any heterosexual male has the right
to."

Same here. I did lots of plays (musical and otherwise) in high school
and majored in theatre in college. Took my share of ribbing for it, too.
From both straights and gays ("How are you not gay?").

I'm all for equality for gays in every area. Things seem to be changing
for the better in that regard. Very slowly, to be sure, but getting there.
I don't know who coined this saying but I like it: "We're not where we
should be but I'm glad we're not where we were."

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 July 2010 at 7:34pm | IP Logged | 9  

...it's the bigotry that's learned.

••

Sometimes I wonder. In the wild there is a definite survival advantage in fearing, and even killing, That Which is Not Us. Civilization should have bred that kind of unconscious fear/threat response out of us --- but I look at the world and wonder if we really have any right to think of ourselves as "civilized".

Marc Foxx
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2010 at 8:24pm | IP Logged | 10  

We haven't existed long enough to be civilized. We've barely crawled out of the oceans.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2010 at 11:52pm | IP Logged | 11  

I think JB is onto something.  Long before I knew what gay/homosexual even meant (age 4-5) other children, YOUNG children, seemed to instinctively know I was "different".  Even the ones who bore me no animus and are dear friends to this day, still knew I was different and had varying degrees of negative reactions to me.  It was never whether I was treated well, it was more about whether I would be treated badly or VERY badly. 

As I've grown older, I have come to believe that homosexuality is not something that the heterosexual majority is naturally inclined to be comfortable with.  Perhaps as an evolutionary defense mechanism, that which is "different" is to be feared (and thus hated).  I think it takes years of maturing and introspection for people to be "okay" with homosexuality.  This is, of course, a simplistic assessment, but it's certainly as valid a theory at this point in our understanding of biology/evolution, etc. as any other.

Edited by Marc Baptiste on 14 July 2010 at 11:53pm

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2010 at 1:37am | IP Logged | 12  

There seems to be some thinking here that Gay is something people BECOME -- as if it is learned behavior. According to everything I have read, it is genetic

Possibly a bit of both. I know of a fair few instances where someone who had been in heterosexual relationships, went to prison and came out saying they were gay and started acting very effeminate.

Although to be fair, I would question whether these people were actually gay. In some instances they clearly seemed to have had some form of mental break in prison.

<< Prev Page of 18 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version