Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 18 Next >>
Topic: Gay Couples Adopting (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 July 2010 at 7:34am | IP Logged | 1  

I suspect one of the things the Idiot Squad most fears about homosexuality is that they think it might be contagious!
Back to Top profile | search

David Henriot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2010 at 7:40am | IP Logged | 2  

In order to go back to JB's it is a pity there is not some way for Gay couples to adopt Gay children.

I would like to ask to all the fellow gay members :
1) How old were you when you were sure to be gay ?
2) at the age of, let's say 11-13, do you think you would have been strong enough to say to a stranger (someone in charge) that you were gay, and that you wanted a gay familly ?

Thank-you.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Thanos Kollias
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2010 at 7:59am | IP Logged | 3  

Christophe, a relative can't provide to the child what a parent can. Of course, I am not referring to parents who don't dedicate time to the upbringing of their child. I am referring to a "normally" functioning family, where the parents dedicate time and energy on the upbringing and the relatives are "recurring guest stars" in the process. The "guest star" may  steal the spotlight briefly, but that contribution pales in comparison to the main cast. The role model provided by the parents is far more influential.

What does that mean in the context of this discussion? I think that a man-woman couple are equally capable of "ruining" a person as parents of the same sex. It's all a matter of how the parents behave and how much they care for the child. An indifferent parent will be indifferent whether he/she is straight or gay.
But, if I had to compare a well functioning man-woman parenting couple to an equally well functioning same sex parenting couple, I have to admit I would favor the former. The male and female role models present in the former are an important, even integral, part of the upbringing of a child, and I don't think there is any scientific research that disagrees with this.
Does that mean gay men or women shouldn't adopt? No, it doesn't. Especially since the adoption process involves detailed inspection and consideration and in the end an actual decision by professionals to determine if an adoption will take place.

As for this discussion, I must say I am more than a bit disappointed by Knut. I usually find his posts interesting, well thought out and informative. He often goes to great lengths to express an opinion that needs a lot of courage and a well structured way of thinking and expression.
Unfortunately, his contribution to this discussion was to bring the point of view of an undetermined group he labels as "deeply christian" people, color it as he saw fit and then attack it.
I don't think that's a good post, Knut. If any "deeply christian" party wishes to post their position, I'd like to see THEM do it (it would be THEIR opinion after all, to defend and base on whatever arguments) and I'd fully expect you to comment on it based on what it actually would be.As it stands now, your post is just ridiculous and unprovoked.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Regan Tyndall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2010 at 8:03am | IP Logged | 4  

Mike Benson said: "How about you just take my word for it?  I've ALWAYS been gay.  See how easy that was?"

No need to be snarky, Mike. I'm just asking out of personal interest. While I'm sure that genetic predisposition is a large part of homosexual determinacy, I'm not aware of any clear evidence that it is ALL. The word "entirely" was intentional and important to my earlier post.

Now, aside from that: Can you really say that you have always been gay? I'm not sure that I can say with certainty that I have always been heterosexual. Or that I have always been sexual at all. For example, when I was 4 years old.

(Lest my posts here be misunderstood -- please understand that I am not arguing with anyone, nor defending any position. I am merely asking for information and opinions. Got to be careful...)

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2010 at 8:10am | IP Logged | 5  

1) how bi-sexuality fits into the theory -- in other words, does the genetic exclusivity theory suppose that "shades-of-grey" sexual orientations are in fact just socially-derived deviations away from one genetic type (hetero- / homo-sexuality) or the other? In other words, does this biologically-based theory assign all humans as one or the other?

-----

Human behavior lies on a spectrum. Why would sexual orientation be different?

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2010 at 8:20am | IP Logged | 6  

I'm not sure that I can say with certainty that I have always been heterosexual. Or that I have always been sexual at all. For example, when I was 4 years old.

----

Girls were icky until 5th or 6th grade, but I remember crushing pretty hard on Valerie Bertinelli, Erin Gray, and Lynda Carter when I was 5.

Donald Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2010 at 8:25am | IP Logged | 7  

From Child Development Vol 63 issue5:
To date, however, there is no evidence that the development of children with lesbian or gay parents is compromised in any significant respect relative to that among children of heterosexual parents in otherwise comparable circumstances.

From Scandinavian Journal of Psychology Vol 43, issue 4:
Children raised by lesbian mothers or gay fathers did not systematically differ from other children on any of the outcomes. The studies indicate that children raised by lesbian women do not experience adverse outcomes compared with other children. The same holds for children raised by gay men, but more studies should be done.

From Marriage and Family  Review Vol 29, issue 1:
The body of literature generally concludes that children with lesbian and gay parents are developing psychologically, intellectually, behaviorally, and emotionally in positive directions, and that the sexual orientation of parents is not an effective or important predictor of successful child development.

Please let me know if you can find some research that shows that heteronormative parents produce healthier children.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Regan Tyndall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2010 at 8:42am | IP Logged | 8  

Michael Roberts said: "Human behavior lies on a spectrum. Why would sexual orientation be different?"

Right, but that's my question -- can a person be 50-50% bisexual genetically? Can you be 75%-hetero / 25%-homo, genetically?  Or, is the theory that you are either 100% hetero or 100% homo, and that any evidence of bisexuality is merely a socially 'learned' thing?

To me, this sort of works against the likelihood of total genetic determinacy.

Regan Tyndall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2010 at 8:47am | IP Logged | 9  

Michael Roberts said: "Girls were icky until 5th or 6th grade, but I remember crushing pretty hard on Valerie Bertinelli, Erin Gray, and Lynda Carter when I was 5."

Heh heh. I must be a bit younger. At that age, I was into Lisa Bonet and The Bangles.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 July 2010 at 9:01am | IP Logged | 10  

I'm not sure that I can say with certainty that I have always been heterosexual. Or that I have always been sexual at all. For example, when I was 4 years old.

++

Girls were icky until 5th or 6th grade, but I remember crushing pretty hard on Valerie Bertinelli, Erin Gray, and Lynda Carter when I was 5.

••

That we are not sexually AWARE from an early age in no way demonstrates that we are not already sexually ORIENTED. There is a genetic disposition toward alcoholism, but I would not expect to see it clearly manifest in toddlers.

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2010 at 9:19am | IP Logged | 11  

"As for this discussion, I must say I am more than a bit disappointed by Knut. I usually find his posts interesting, well thought out and informative. He often goes to great lengths to express an opinion that needs a lot of courage and a well structured way of thinking and expression.
Unfortunately, his contribution to this discussion was to bring the point of view of an undetermined group he labels as "deeply christian" people, color it as he saw fit and then attack it."

I'm sorry, but when the discussion turns to the issue of gay adoption, religion does come into it. But if the issue is that the group is vaguley defined, fine.

Christian Democrats in my country (one of 10 major parties) tirelessly oppose rights for gays. One of only two political parties to do so (most conservatives are okay with most of it) . They are not shy about publicly denouncing homosexuality as "sinful and depraved"  when talking about its legality or on homosexual marriages.

Then on the issue of gay adoption, they use the argument that the children of homosexuals will be teased and buillied. And therefore gays should not be allowed to adopt. This party is very big on being against bullying in school.

Yet they fail to see the connection between their strong and loaded invective against homosexuals, even in front of their children, in church or in religious studioes in school (we still have those) and the hateful words spoken about gay people in the schoolyard.

I remember as a child ,growing up in the West Country (classified as our bible belt, although our city had its share of godless atheists as well) and hearing all sorts of stories in the playground about what a pervert the baker who had a store next to the primary school was.

That baker was gay, not flamboyantly, but people "knew", and it all got gradually worse, where these "rumors" caused people to stop buying bread at his bakery because he was gay (my dad could be a bit homophobic himself, but when he heard about the boycot, because it was an actual boycot, he insisted we always buy bread there) and then one day the baker hung himself.

Now imagine any kid with gay parents growing up in that environment. Of the people I have heard of coming out as gay in my town (and there are very few), I think the youngest was in his mid twenties before he had the courage.  I have a second cousin in his 60s who is supposed to be gay, but that's so hush hush that no-one discusses it.

And a lot of that has to do with the position of religion in our society, and that people who identify themselves as deeply Christian don't see the connection between them saying hateful things about gays and the children of gays being bullied.

Yes, I could strip out their supposed motivation(religion) for saying hateful things about gay people, but why should I have to? I have not said that "All christians hate gays"  (we are talking about christians as a group, not the religious doctrine). I am saying that some are very anti-gay and that's connected with the children of gays being bullied.

At least in my opinion.

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2010 at 9:31am | IP Logged | 12  

Thanos RE: Knut - Unfortunately, his contribution to this discussion was to bring the point of view of an undetermined group he labels as "deeply christian" people, color it as he saw fit and then attack it.

---

The only people I personally know who are against gay marriage are against on religious grounds because they think it's disgusting to be gay and God doesn't want people to be that way. 

I think if "deeply Christian" people were taken out of the equation, we'd have gay marriage, gay adoption rights, and openly gay people being allowed to serve in the military. 

Of course, those "deeply Christian" people take pride in the fact that they're preventing those things by being in the equation, because they see it as winning against some perceived injustice against them. Because, you know, Christians haven't ruled the western world for the past two millennia minus a century or two. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 18 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version