Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 34 Next >>
Topic: Alan Moore and the Rights to Watchmen (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2010 at 10:24am | IP Logged | 1  

The thing is, and this is directed at no one here, if someone like Paul Cornell or Grant Morrison wrote a prequel or sequel, people would be all over it.  Even if they had already denounced such a thing as a "travesty".

I do not see the need for an expansion of Watchmen in any way, shape or form.  The story had a definite end to it, and we got the backstory with it as well.

Back to Top profile | search

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2010 at 11:01am | IP Logged | 2  

Grant is working on a multiversity 'event' with one story featuring a murder mystery told in a Watchmenesque format.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Ian M. Palmer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2010 at 12:35pm | IP Logged | 3  

Why would it have to have anything to do with the story? DKR and Year One are great stories, but does either of them mean that there should never be other stories about Batman?

New stories about the Watchmen characters, set either before or after the events of the series, needn't be in the style or adopt the tone of the series at all.

IMP.

Bobby Beem
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2010 at 12:39pm | IP Logged | 4  

Does the flaw in that analogy even need to be mentioned?

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2010 at 12:47pm | IP Logged | 5  

I doubt it's something I would buy.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jeremiah Avery
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2010 at 12:49pm | IP Logged | 6  

People would lament online about how "disrespectful" any new comics would be; however, some will still buy them anyway.  Very few actually vote with their wallet.

Scott Silverstein
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2010 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 7  

the watchmen series is dirty and grimmy like moore....every time I see this stuff it makes me want to wash my hands incessantly....

Jani Evinen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2010 at 1:35pm | IP Logged | 8  

I  really like Watchmen. Nice of DC if they actually offered something like that to Moore. They could do as many prequels and sequels to it as they would like to without asking for permission. Seems like they showed respect to him and Dave Gibbons.

That Grant Morrison project sounds interesting, I wonder if DC will have Gibbons drawing it?

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 22 July 2010 at 2:08pm | IP Logged | 9  

I think the only way I'd buy a Watchmen prequel or sequel is if Dave Gibbons did the art. I wouldn't have any interest past that. Both are rotten ideas.

I do find it interesting that Paul Levitz was the one stopping any "new" Watchmen projects. As soon as he is gone DC is making all the moves to bleed this cash cow dry.

Mike Farley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2010 at 2:26pm | IP Logged | 10  

I have no real vested interest one way or the other. BUT...I'd pay real money to watch fanboy heads explode upon the release of a WATCHMEN sequel written by Jeph Loeb and drawn by Rob Liefeld.

Robert Walsh
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2010 at 2:59pm | IP Logged | 11  

Why would it have to have anything to do with the story? DKR and Year One are great stories, but does either of them mean that there should never be other stories about Batman?

New stories about the Watchmen characters, set either before or after the events of the series, needn't be in the style or adopt the tone of the series at all.

These characters wouldn't even exist were it not for Watchmen, which is complete in and of itself. There were not decades of Nite Owl stories before it and there haven't been any since then, and the world hasn't lamented about all the great Nite Owl stories that could have been if only...

Sequels have a bad habit of diminishing the very thing they love, especially sequels that come this long after the original story. Name a sequel that came 20 years after the fact that wasn't declared a major disappointment by the fans of the series... and everyone else for that matter.

That's why you don't make another Watchmen. There's no where to go but down.

Robert Walsh
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2010 at 3:04pm | IP Logged | 12  

I like this quote from Woody Allen on why he rejected the thought of doing a sequel to Annie Hall.

I did think once - I'm not going to do it - but I did thinkonce that it would be interesting to see Annie Hall and the guy I played yearslater. Diane Keaton and I could meet now that we're about twenty years older,and it could be interesting, because we parted, to meet one day and see whatour lives have become. But it smacks to me of exploitation....Sequelism hasbecome an annoying thing. I don't think Francis Coppola should have done GodfatherIII because Godfather II was quite great. When they make a sequel,it's just a thirst for more money, so I don't like that idea so much

Edited by Robert Walsh on 22 July 2010 at 3:05pm

<< Prev Page of 34 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version