Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 21 Next >>
Topic: Bring back the yellow oval! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2010 at 11:17am | IP Logged | 1  

Michael Andrew wrote:
...Without taking time to think and consciously aim, they instinctively home in on the oval, desperately squeeze off a shot (or burst, if it's a machine gun), and, by the time they collect themselves enough to actually direct their next shot to where it'll do some good (well, bad, really), it's too late -- the Batman is already upon them...

(Picture posted originally by John Byrne)

I bet that dog wears a yellow collar so that if someone shot at him they'd aim for his collar.

Back to Top profile | search | www

William Lukash
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2010 at 11:25am | IP Logged | 2  

I always assumed the yellow circle was there so that thugs could more easily who was coming after them.  It ties to the "fear" factor the Batman uses.  It would probably be hard to see a black bat on a gray costume.  The yellow oval always reminded me of the moon and night.  Although this costume wasn't as sinister, I thought it was intimidating.

Removed a sentence that was for another thought.

Edited by William Lukash on 01 August 2010 at 11:26am
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2010 at 11:26am | IP Logged | 3  

Steve Ogden wrote:
...Since Batman's utility belt has been brought up; I hate the pouches.  I like the streamline belt with the capsule-like parts that held everything he needed.  It looked sleeker and much more high tech...

Agreed.

Just wait, though, Steve... Some future director of a "Batman" film will decide for us that the capsule utility belt does look sleeker and more modern, if not futuristic, and will make it so that "his" Batman wears that belt. At that point in time you will see many fans, and writers, artists, and editors working at DC who might have been against the capsule belt suddenly praise this as suddenly being more realistic as they worship at the altar of Hollywood.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 01 August 2010 at 11:27am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Steve Ogden
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2010 at 11:49am | IP Logged | 4  

<<Just wait, though, Steve... Some future director of a "Batman" film will decide for us that the capsule utility belt does look sleeker and more modern, if not futuristic, and will make it so that "his" Batman wears that belt. At that point in time you will see many fans, and writers, artists, and editors working at DC who might have been against the capsule belt suddenly praise this as suddenly being more realistic as they worship at the altar of Hollywood.>>

Hey Matt, that would be funny if it wasn't so true.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2010 at 11:58am | IP Logged | 5  

I do have a bit of a preference for the oval, mainly because he tends to have a more circular bat-symbol as a result. Without it, most artists tend to go for a more angular bat-design, which I like slightly less. It's not so much that I'd specifically ask JB to draw the oval on his commissions, though - I know he prefers no oval, and I have no problem with that.

Now, as for the pouch/belt debate, it's definitely belt all the way. It's a nice bit of artistic shorthand to remind the reader that Batman is also a scientist.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 August 2010 at 12:03pm | IP Logged | 6  

I always assumed the yellow circle was there so that thugs could more easily who was coming after them.

••

That would ALMOST work if the Batman was an international figure, like Superman. But really -- he operates almost entirely in Gotham City. If a punk in Gotham sees a big black cape bearing down on him, who's he gonna think it is?

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2010 at 12:08pm | IP Logged | 7  

Yeah, Batman's silhouette swooping down out of the darkness practically is the emblem on his chest.

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 01 August 2010 at 12:39pm | IP Logged | 8  

Although I don't care much for the oval, I've never bought into the argument that it's a "target" in his chest, since Batman usually wears a yellow belt regardless of what emblem is on his chest. 

While a shot to the chest would be potentially more fatal, I'm not sure I would want to encourage -- by way of a yellow belt -- shots so close to the groin.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Lance Hill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2010 at 1:07pm | IP Logged | 9  

No oval. The black and grey colour scheme is more appropriate for a character based upon a bat.

But as long as he isn't wetting himself... http://www.toplessrobot.com/2010/07/breaking_batman_peed_his _pants.php

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2010 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 10  

I like the oval. Seem more iconic to me. I'm happy with either black or blue for the cape, cowl, gloves, boots.

William Lukash
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2010 at 1:28pm | IP Logged | 11  

I just reviewed the first issues of Batman and Detective Comics where the New Look begins, but there is no reference as to why his costume changed in either book.  I'm sure most of you knew that, but I needed the refresher. 

However, Bruce explains why the Bat-Mobile needs to be a sports car in Batman 164.  It's strange that they didn't offer an explanation about the costume change in the Detective Comics story, since the costume change is pointed on in a cover blurb. 

Batman uses a gun to cover a bunch of crooks.  He doesn't fire it though.  That has to be one of the last times Batman uses a gun for a long time.

Edited by William Lukash on 01 August 2010 at 1:30pm

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2010 at 1:31pm | IP Logged | 12  

Lance wrote:
But as long as he isn't wetting himself...

WTF? "Bladder spasm?" What total crap.

<< Prev Page of 21 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version