Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: JB’s rare inkers (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2010 at 4:19am | IP Logged | 1  

I know everyone has an opinion on the main JB inkers, like Terry Austin, Jerry Ordway, Dan Green, Joe Rubisnstein, Karl Kesel, Bob Wiacek, Tom Palmer, Karl Kesel, Dick Giordano, Dave Hunt, Doug Hazlewood, Klaus Janson, Al Gordon  but there have been some guys who gave a great spin to JBs art, but formed too shortlived a team.

- Pablo Marcos: He was the inker of the Nefaria Avengers storyline. He was the main inker of the book for a couple of years then and had inked Perez, Tuska, Sal Buscema and most of the Korvak series. Great inker, in my opinion, attention to detail, mostly kept the faces recognizable and I would have loved to see more.
-Bob McLeod: Finisher more than inker in the Tom Plamer kind of style, but their two collaborations (Marvel Team-Up#100 and New Mutants#75) left me hungering for me. His style of drawing faces reminds me very much of JB's, so I think it would work great.
- Gene Day: Also two collaborations (Avengers#183 and Spider-Man#206), two excellent issues, I think it felt like a natural alternative to Terry Austin, too bad no more was ever done.
- Mike Machlan: Boy, this guy I had completely misunderstood at first. I think this was a really good pairing, as Mike mostly inked what JB had drawn and his inking style was a strange mesh of Austin and Ordway. #51-52 of West Coast Avengers are some of JB's highlights, as far as I am concerned.
- Jose Luis Garcia Lopez: I don't think I need to add anything...
- Trevor Scott: I think that's his name, they paired together in the Power of the Atom first three issues. Solid inker, great textures and as fas as I know JB was quite satisfied.
- Mark Farmer: Nor sure he belongs here or on the regulars. But, 5 JLAs and one True Brit later, though, I know I hunger for more!

(edited title for typo -- Tim)

Edited by Tim O'Neill on 14 September 2010 at 1:43am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2010 at 6:38am | IP Logged | 2  

I really like the JB & Sinnot combination on the FF. At the time of release, I didn't. I think I was too used to Terry Austin. But looking back over the years I've grown to appreciate Sinnot's work with JB more and more.

(Thanos, perhaps change the title of the thread to make it JB instead of JA.)
Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Bach
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2010 at 7:10am | IP Logged | 3  

I would have liked to see more by Gene Day. I found it an interesting combo. I think an inker gets more comfortable with a penciller after a time, so it would have been interesting to see how this pairing evolved.

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2010 at 7:12am | IP Logged | 4  

Mike Machlan did an awesome job on West Coast Avengers, IMO.

Mark Farmer got good reviews for his work on the JLA issues, but I wasn't feeling it.

My favorite inkers for JB are Terry Austin and Bob Wiacek.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 September 2010 at 7:56am | IP Logged | 5  

I would have liked to see more by Gene Day.

••

At the risk of being seen to speak ill of the dead, Gene was one of my least favorite inkers, over my pencils. For one thing he redrew stuff, which is always a no-no. For another, he added detail to excess -- this is the inker who actually added detail to GEORGE PEREZ's pencils!! -- which flattened everything out.

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2010 at 8:00am | IP Logged | 6  

I didn't like the Mark Farmer pairing either, Wilson. Even though I consider him a top inker. (Been liking his work since Hulk way back when)

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2010 at 8:48am | IP Logged | 7  

Another odd pairing was Wolverine 16-23 with Klaus Janson but I like it.

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2010 at 10:19am | IP Logged | 8  

At the risk of drawing the ire of others, the first combo that popped into my head was actually the Ditko/Byrne art team on Avengers Annual #13. Though John was the inker on the book, I'd have loved to see the two of them do more work together.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 September 2010 at 10:24am | IP Logged | 9  

We did! In ROM. Plus, in my fan days, I inked Ditko's last CAPTAIN ATOM story for CHARLTON BULLSEYE.

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2010 at 10:26am | IP Logged | 10  

I wasn't a Rom reader. Knew he had done some work on the title, but not your involvement. It must have been a dream-come-true for you every time you received original pages from him. What was the experience like putting pen to his inks? I'd imagine there may have been some nerves involved.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2010 at 10:39am | IP Logged | 11  

JB - How do you make the choice whether or not to accept the assignment of inking someone else's work?  I would imagine the opportunity to ink Ditko was a no-brainer and Ron Wilson was drawing the Thing when you were writing it so it seemed like a natural, but is everything else case-by-case?

Back to Top profile | search | www

Brad Teschner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2010 at 10:40am | IP Logged | 12  

I'd have to say, next to Austin, that my favorite inker over JB would be Al Gordon.  His style didn't overwhelm JB's line as I felt Ordway's did.  I liked Karl Kessel alot, too, but his line struck me as a bit heavier than Gordon's.

Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version