Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Q for JB-Magneto (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2010 at 1:28pm | IP Logged | 1  

This installment of Comic Book Legends Revealed tells about what led up to the reveal of Magneto being the father of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver.  It's the second of three items in the column.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2010/05/13/comic-bo ok-legends-revealed-260/

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 October 2010 at 1:43pm | IP Logged | 2  

The biggest problem with the Whizzer being the father of Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch was that it meant Pietro was not a mutant! The Whizzer's power had "bred true", producing something closer to speciation than mutation, at least by the loosey-goosey definitions in the Marvel Universe

===

That's a neat point. How would you deal with mutants in the Marvel universe having children? (Whizzer wasn't a mutant was he? He's the one who got his powers from Mongoose blood right?)

Would those children be more likely to be mutants? Would they be guranteed to be mutants but with random powers? Or would they be normal humans? Would mutants be sterile like mules?

••

When Stan and Jack created the X-Men the premise was very simple: mutants were people who were born with a kink in their DNA which eventually (around puberty) manifested itself in strange and usually most inconvenient powers -- eye beams, wings, enormous hands and feet, etc.

This made mutants different from the FF, or Spider-Man, who had been exposed to some extraordinary set of circumstances which had created a kink in their DNA.

So it was really simple: born that way (or at least with the potential) = mutant. Picked it up along the way somewhere = non-mutant variant.

The question of mutants breeding and whether this would create other mutants should be equally simple. As a way of explaining why the Sentinels had trouble identifying Wolverine as a mutant, I suggested (and Chris and I were working toward revealing) that Sabretooth was Logan's father, and that HIS mutation had bred true. Wolverine was not a mutant, he was a whole new species.

People have often asked what it is that makes Namor a "mutant". He is a HYBRID, they say, possessing abilities from both his parents. Ah, but neither of his parents had wings on their heels, did they? THAT is what makes him a mutant!

Franklin Richards is a mutant, because the set of powers he got are derived from neither parent (except to the extent that they were both zapped by cosmic rays and became, themselves, non-mutant variants.)

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 October 2010 at 1:44pm | IP Logged | 3  

Not quite. The one big "hint" that I put out there happened not in X-MEN, but in an issue of THE AVENGERS. We saw Magneto recuperating on Asteroid M and reviewing some old data files, when an image of his former wife popped up -- and she looked very much like Wanda.

++

JB it was in the pages of the X-Men...#125 I believe...right before the Proteus Saga. That was a shock to me as well

••

You are correct! Roger and I thought about doing it in THE AVENGERS, but decided instead to add a pages to an X-MEN tale. Either way, tho, that was all there was -- and all that was ever intended!

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2010 at 3:34pm | IP Logged | 4  

I'm completely on board with the mutant definitions above -- that;s the way I'd always understood things to be. But, then again, I glow in the dark.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2010 at 5:18pm | IP Logged | 5  

I'm completely on board with the mutant definitions above...
---
As am I. I also prefer the days when mutants had simple
abilities/characteristics like the ones JB mentioned - eye beams, wings,
enormous hands and feet, etc.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Bill Catellier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2010 at 10:37pm | IP Logged | 6  

JB-  regarding Namor's mutation involving his wings-- is the reason the other such hybrid (Namorita) has the same wings, features etc due to sharing DNA with Namor?  Would we see something different from a mating that didn't involve someone from Namor's bloodline?

James Revilla
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2010 at 12:06am | IP Logged | 7  

Am curious JB, would that mean either Reed or Sue has latent mutant genes to make Franklin or would the cosmic rays be the sourse of his mutation?

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2010 at 2:30pm | IP Logged | 8  

Wasn't there an idea floating around Marvel back when that anybody who had gotten superpowers was pretty much a latent mutant that exposure to some trauma had brought about? Something unique in the body chemistry, as it were?

Like, how that spider bite or gamma bomb explosion would have killed anyone else but not Peter Parker or Bruce Banner?  Or even the drug experiment that killed all other kids except Cloak and Dagger, because they were latent mutants.

I'm not sure where I picked up this idea, but it seems it was implied in at least a couple of books back in the late 80's/early 90's.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2010 at 2:43pm | IP Logged | 9  

Yes, I recall the term "latent mutant" being thrown around quite a bit in OHOTMU.

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2010 at 2:44pm | IP Logged | 10  

Wasn't there an idea floating around Marvel back when that anybody who had gotten superpowers was pretty much a latent mutant that exposure to some trauma had brought about? Something unique in the body chemistry, as it were?

SER: The beginning of the end, I think. As a I kid, I believed that being bitten by a radioactive spider would give you spider powers. I believed that being caught in a gamma blast would turn you into the Hulk. I didn't need pseudo-science to explain what is obviously fantasy.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brandon Scott Berthelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2010 at 5:14pm | IP Logged | 11  

That was a big part of Earth X.  Basically humanity was destined to be a race of beings with superpowers, with mutants being the first ones to manifest them.  Others had the mutant gene activated by outside stimuli.  

A race of beings with superpowers was the first step in the evolution.  Then came where all beings manifested the same power, control over their body, ala the Skrulls.  Then came where everyone had immense, but undefined power and were defined by other races that saw them (Thor, Loki, and the other Norse gods of the Marvel Universe were aliens who reached this step, and humanity saw them as gods from their legends, so the aliens became these beings).

Tony Midyett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2010 at 9:10pm | IP Logged | 12  

I kind of like the idea that mutant parents are more likely to have super-powered kids than non-mutant parents.  It has a sort of ominous feel to it, like, "Will they one day replace us?".  Fuels anti-mutant hysteria a bit, doesn't it?

Here's a question for everyone---Rachel has time-manipulation abilities, in addition to her Jean Grey powers, so Rachel's a mutant.  But doesn't Cable have the same powers as Jean, too, but without the time-manipulation power?  What's Cable's mutant power?

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version