Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Man of Steel Love (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 December 2010 at 12:52am | IP Logged | 1  

I like the comics blogger Chris Sims a lot. He's funny and often on the money opinion-wise. In this week's Ask Chris section, he gives Mr. Byrne's Man of Steel origin it's proper adulation. (Yes, he overstates the awesomeness of Grant Morrison's All Star Superman origin, but he's right about Man of Steel!) Anyway, I thought some of you might find it interesting...
Back to Top profile | search | www

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 December 2010 at 1:41am | IP Logged | 2  

When I read most of JB's comics for Marvel and DC (those he wrote), I always think that he has a sort of "scientific" approach to the characters. He's having fun, of course, loving superheroes, but he is working. So, he thinks. I remember his introduction to Chapter One, where he said that he always tried to "save" what could work even today... and that's what JB does. He recreates, adapts, underlining all of those things which make these characters popculture legends and working for an all agge audience.

This is one of the reasons I love MOS: that story is almost 25 years old, the first time I read it it was already ten years old... but it seemed NEW to me, appealing, exciting. That was "the Superman for 1986", who could work even for the following years. Characters' cloths and hairstyles can be those from the 1980s, but that's a look/graphic matter. The story itself still works pretty well. That's Superman, to me. MY Superman.

I recently read the Secret Origin miniseries and... that doesn't work, for me.
In 2010 I expected Geoff Johns wrote "the Superman for 2010", but it does seem a sort of patchwork... that's my father's Superman plus the first Reeve movie plus some violence to make it modern.
The story was born... already old. Sure, looking at what I've been reading in the other Superman titles in these 3/4 years, that's pure gold...

If I have to choose a modern origin, I prefer Birthright, with all of its bugs.
See for example the vegetarian Clark... shouldn't a farmer get the whole "circle of life" stuff better than anyone else?

Earth-One... no comment. Bad artwork. Ordinary story. But, well, a big guy from tv wrote it, and it nobilitates the poor comic book genre, ain't it?

Morrison's single page: a good recap for those who already know. Now I don't remember if the not given infos are told later in the story, though.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Marcel Chenier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 December 2010 at 4:09am | IP Logged | 3  

An enjoyable read.  Thanks for sharing!

I wonder what JB's thoughts are on the author's interpretation of his portrayal of Krypton.  JB?

Edited by Marcel Chenier on 04 December 2010 at 4:10am
Back to Top profile | search

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 December 2010 at 6:26am | IP Logged | 4  

Man of Steel was my entry into the DC Universe and it's still my Superman origin Birthright and Secret Origin be damned.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 December 2010 at 8:47am | IP Logged | 5  

…he overstates the awesomeness of Grant Morrison's All Star Superman origin…

••

Including more praise for that one page "synopsis", which, as I have pointed out before, works only if you already know the story. Somewhat typically, Morrison is writing here for those who are already in the club, not offering anything that would serve as an introduction for new members.

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 December 2010 at 8:52am | IP Logged | 6  

Fans love creators who don't waste their precious time with words/story/information.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 December 2010 at 8:52am | IP Logged | 7  

I wonder what JB's thoughts are on the author's interpretation of his portrayal of Krypton.

••

He's more or less on the money. As a kid, I quickly grew tired of Superman moping after his lost life on Krypton. Sometimes it actually made me uncomfortable, the way he seemed to reject so much of what Jonathan and Martha would have given him.

I wanted to paint Superman as the ultimate immigrant, someone who (not unlike me!) achieved far more in his new world than he would have if he had stayed "home".

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 December 2010 at 8:55am | IP Logged | 8  

...achieved far more in his new world than he would have if he had stayed "home".

I never thought of it that way.  I like that.
Back to Top profile | search | www

David Kingsley Kingsley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 December 2010 at 10:53am | IP Logged | 9  

I think what I enjoy most about Man of Steel is how streamlined it is. I liked that JB removed conicidences which strained even comics' suspension of disbelief, like Luthor and Superboy both growing up in Smallville and then both travelling to Metrpolis, dozens and dozens of similarly surviving Kryptonians, and that it seemd like sometimes there was more Krypton on Earth than any other element. It's one of the most well-told origin stories in comics.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 December 2010 at 2:50pm | IP Logged | 10  

The thing that Man of Steel did that made me enjoy it much more (and that DC has since gotten rid of) was the fact that Jonathan and Martha both lived and were there if Superman needed advice. I was glad that the Timm-verse continued that in the animated series. Grant Morrison was able to have Jonathan die in All-Star so I was hoping that Geoff Johns would have let him live in the DCU. I guess Richard Donner was that influential....

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 December 2010 at 6:24pm | IP Logged | 11  

I don't recall who did the above, but it does speak to anyone already familiar with the origin. It's succinct, but I can't imagine someone coming to superheroes cold having an understanding exactly of what it means.

Reading more DC Comics than ever in my life, especially from the 1970s, I was struck with what should be the most important aspect of the Writer in regards a comic book:

In the '70s and '80s, the splash page generally had a quick written summation of the character's origin. Nothing too specific, just a well-written and almost poetic summation. Marvel did the same, such as this one (perhaps my favorite):

How is this not more than sufficient for any new reader anywhere? What more do you need to know?

If the Great Writer has one job, it's to relay this type of information as a kind of support for the images/action/drama/ect. The Writer should be a writer, as interchangeable (in the world of comics) as ball point pens.

Listen, I love good writing, and I love good comic books. I know writing has an impact, because Roger Stern and Steve Gerber and Steve Englehart can be said to have "their" comics. But never was there such a schism (as now) between the artist's contribution and the writer's contribution. The fact is, the artist IS the comic book, the very being of it, while the writer is the clothing, a couple of scars and a penny from 1941.

Brad Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2010 at 12:38am | IP Logged | 12  

Marvel from 1961 to the mid 1980's was the BOMB!  No one did it better.  Not likely to be repeated again.  Not that they're trying.  They are trying to make it "better" which means no where near as good.

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version