Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: DADT repealed! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 December 2010 at 6:07am | IP Logged | 1  

There seems to be an assumption that men (gay or straight) are unable to control their desire for sex -- left over Puritan, old-school thinking. What the military must've been like when McCain served... I say that because he's so obviously wistful for it.

How embarrassing for John that his legacy will be to be remembered for standing so staunchly in the way of progress.

••

It's even more embarassing, isn't it, when we consult his record. In '06 he said he was in favor of ending DADT.

Now, everybody is entitled to change their minds -- but usually it works better if such changes carry us FORWARD.

Back to Top profile | search

Marcel Chenier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2010 at 6:18am | IP Logged | 2  

I'm curious about the boards thoughts on the following--and I hope it's okay to open this up in this particular thread: many Americans are divided on whether the U.S. is a more liberal or conservative country.

With the passage of DADT and the vast majority's attitude towards it that its "time has come" (as well as things like the Dream Act hovering around), I'm given the impression that for this to be the case, the U.S. is rather more progressive than conservative (if conservative is to embrace tradition and to resist change and to be liberal is its opposite [which I know is a terrible oversimplification]).

My apologies if this is the wrong place for this.  But, I'm really curious about everyone's thoughts on this.

(edited to double-check the correct spelling of "majority's"--dammit if that apostrophe doesn't mess me up sometimes!))

Edited by Marcel Chenier on 19 December 2010 at 6:22am

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2010 at 6:23am | IP Logged | 3  

Step 1 = homosexuals can die as soldiers for their country.

Eagerly awaiting step 2, however long it takes = homosexuals can live as spouses in their country.

Tom French
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2010 at 7:26am | IP Logged | 4  

...homosexuals can live as spouses in their country.

Was just recently talking about  how embarrassing it was that my  husband and I are married in this state, but when we cross to that state, our marriage isn't recognized. 

Truthfully, Michael, I'm anxiously awaiting the first military gay-marriage.

Edited by Tom French on 19 December 2010 at 7:27am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 December 2010 at 7:42am | IP Logged | 5  

I'm anxiously awaiting the first military gay-marriage.

••

They won't need any fireworks for that one. The exploding heads should cover it!

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2010 at 8:17am | IP Logged | 6  

Was just recently talking about  how embarrassing it was that my  husband and I are married in this state, but when we cross to that state, our marriage isn't recognized. 

Truthfully, Michael, I'm anxiously awaiting the first military gay-marriage.

IF one of you were a commissioned officer, you'd have base housing.  Being married entitles the spouse to live there.....  It would be interesting to see how the military would handle it.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 December 2010 at 8:34am | IP Logged | 7  

IF one of you were a commissioned officer, you'd have base housing. Being married entitles the spouse to live there..... It would be interesting to see how the military would handle it.

••

Why would they need to "handle it" any differently from the other MQs?

William McCormick
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2010 at 9:02am | IP Logged | 8  

I hate to throw cold water on the celebrations, but with the repeal of DADT, doesn't this mean that the rules go back to what they were before when homosexuals were drummed out of the service either by court martial and/or dishonorable discharge?

No. When DADT was implemented it essentially took the spot of the previous rule. With it's repeal there is now no rule whatsoever about revealing ones sexual orientation.

It works the same as when a state updates a law. Whatever that law said before doesn't matter and repealing the new law does not automatically bring back the old law. The would have to put in the bill that the repeal reinstates the old law as it was before.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2010 at 9:12am | IP Logged | 9  

This is most awesome news!

Matt Clouser
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2010 at 10:28am | IP Logged | 10  

A word of caution for those who think all will be well now that DADT is out.  This is just the beginning.

Smart homosexuals in uniform will understand clearly the risk of publicly come out until they see integration firmly imbedded in their respective services' regulations/OI's.  And even then, it may be smart for them to lie low for a while, depending on their operational branch.

Using Truman's executive orders to integrate the U.S. armed forces (EO's 9980 and 9981, July 1948) as a model, black officers and NCO's still had to tread lightly at first.  It wasn't like the orders were a magic wand that made everything right and true.  It took a long time for true integration to actually occur - I joined the USAF in the late 70's and there were still pockets of folks who simply didn't get it.

The integration of women into the military, while a regulatory fact, is STILL on-going,  This is due not only to resistance in the ranks, but to real-world differences in gender that still cause problems.

When DADT is truly gone, it will mark the start the of the process of integrating homosexuals in the military. IMHO, it won't become a reality for at least a generation. 

For a current example of the continuing resistance in the ranks, do some checking on the case of Maj. Margaret Witt, a USAF Reserve flight nurse with an outstanding record.  Once the "leadership" in the USAF Reserve caught wind of her being a homosexual, they proceeded to process her out after 19 years of service - 1 year shy of being eligible for retirement.

And that's just the USAF reaction.  The other services will have similar resistance to integration. 

Al Cook
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2010 at 10:39am | IP Logged | 11  

Excellent news.

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 19 December 2010 at 10:43am | IP Logged | 12  

If someone is willing to take a bullet to the head to defend my freedom, I couldn't care less who they kiss. A big salute to everyone in uniform.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version