Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 255 Next >>
Topic: What are you reading now? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2012 at 8:18pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

4) The Flash: Stop Motion" by Mark Schultz

The fastest man alive faces a foe that can out race him and is killing the people of Keystone City.Entertaining only up to a point. The "science" is wedged firmly between those quote marks, and the story loses momentum every time one of his Justice League friends shows up.

The best parts were when Schultz, who has been in the business for decades, describes the sensations of ultra-speed and such, which would fill box upon box of text in comic books.Pass.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Gundars Berzins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2012 at 9:17am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

This is what I am reading at the moment. Gauntlgrym by R. A. Salvatore and Dragons of the Hourglass Mage: Lost Chronicles, volume three by Tracy Hickman & Margaret Weis.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2012 at 7:51pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

PAWNEE: THE GREATEST TOWN IN AMERICA  by Leslie Knope
and
BLOOD FEUD: THE HATFIELDS AND MCCOYS: THE EPIC STORY OF MURDER AND VENGEANCE by Lisa Alther

Both looked good and will be starting on them this weekend.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 23 May 2012 at 9:11pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Oooo!  Thanks for the heads up on BLOOD FUED! Added it to my Amazon queue for later purchase.  Looks great!
Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2012 at 10:04pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

5) "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley, as read to me by Michael York.

Always had trouble wading thru the first section of this classic, devoid of characters but filled with background. Figured sitting thru the audiobook would take care of that; which it did.

Once we get around to the characters, they're appropriately insipid and flat. The one character trying to break the mold is given too little time, tho, and ultimately disappears, to be replaced by a "savage" meant to give an idea of how we might act in such a future.

Finally interesting, but not quite engaging.

Added bonus: Michael York reciting Shakespeare with a brutish American accent. (His voice work was actually quite good throughout; might not have made it all the way thru without him.)

Paul Lloyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2012 at 11:19pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

"Flashman And The Redskins" by George MacDonald Fraser. Funny, exciting, and convincingly researched.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2012 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Working my way through The Songs of Ice and Fire so onto Book 3 - Storm of Swords at the moment which over here was split into two books - and I hear the tv show will go the same way.  Some nasty things happening to my favourite characters right now.

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2012 at 12:27pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I'm trying "Mrs. Dalloway" by Virginia Woolf but it's painful.  Not in the boring sense but in a sense of what it's like to have your past and present careening in your mind at all times, all your "what ifs" and "should haves" and failures and triumphs... much how the mind works in real life.  Devastating.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2012 at 7:20am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Just started a Brief History of Britain  1660-1851.

It starts with the restoration and gave me a laugh out loud moment with these lines: 

"The Restoration Parliament was obliged to compromise because it could not simply turn the clock back to 1649. Some people decided that it would even be better to change their names. The Puritanically named If-Jesus-Had-Not-Died-For-Thee-Thou-Wouldst-Be-Damned Barbon sensibly renamed himself Nicholas Barbon."

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2012 at 8:16am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Finished up The Guns of August, great read. I'm pretty ignorant of WWI, so it was a great primer. The terrible German occupation techniques didn't just start in WWII, poor Belgium and northern France. Amazing how primed Europe was to fight the years before leading up to the start of the war.

Not sure what to start reading next, however, I did order an audio version of the Bible. Inspired by...The Bible is an all star version with leading black actors, leaders and clergy.  This version is the New International Edition, it's been a great listen so far, good performance and production.

I've tried reading the Bible before , but I never make it too far. This way I should be able to finish with this audio edition. The Bible is from the oral tradition anyway, so I'm kind of experiencing it like our ancestors.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 May 2012 at 8:21am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Based on Matt Reed's recommendation, I picked up THE LAST GUNFIGHT. Thoroughly enjoying it.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 May 2012 at 8:24am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I've tried reading the Bible before , but I never make it too far. This way I should be able to finish with this audio edition. The Bible is from the oral tradition anyway, so I'm kind of experiencing it like our ancestors.

••

Yes and no. The oral traditions upon which the books of the Bible were based went thru a lot of hammering and pounding to fit them into shape. A process that did not stop even after pens started touching paper.

Most of the OT didn't happen, and most of the NT would seem very strange indeed to the people whose words and actions it supposedly reports!

<< Prev Page of 255 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version