Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 254 Next >>
Topic: What are you reading now? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 14 June 2012 at 11:31am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I've recently sung the praises of author Jeff Guinn (THE LAST GUNFIGHT).  As it happened, I had an earlier book of his sitting on my shelf and decided it would be my next.  It didn't disappoint at all.  GO DOWN TOGETHER: THE TRUE, UNTOLD STORY OF BONNIE AND CLYDE was excellent.  Every bit as riviting as THE LAST GUNFIGHT.  It was a story I had only heard via myth and the 1967 film.  Guinn, as is his wont, shined a light not only on Bonnie and Clyde's history, but placed it in the larger context of rural Texas and, specifically, booming Dallas. Although familiar with much of it, the details and exhaustive research are what really sets Guinn's work apart of that of his contemporaries.  If you have any interest in the much mythologized story of these two people, the facts are far more compelling and this book is highly recommended. 
Back to Top profile | search

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2012 at 12:09pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I just started THE LAST GUNFIGHT last night.  So far, so good!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rich Marzullo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2012 at 5:43am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Currently reading THE SIRENS OF TITAN by Kurt Vonnegut for the fourth or fifth time. Quite possibly my favorite book.

Rich Marzullo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2012 at 5:45am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Fabrice, how are the FOUNDATION books? I love everything Asimov, but had a hard time getting into that series. I really need to give it another shot at some point.

Tshombe K. Hamilton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2012 at 8:23am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. I am surprised how good it is.

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2012 at 10:08pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

12) "The Somnambulist" by Jonathan Barnes

Enjoyable pot-boiler set in the end of the Victorian Era, but found it a lot of smoke and no fire: main character is supposed to be a wonder at solving mysteries, but we don't see any of this in action really; strange and wonderful characters throughout, but kind of like side show attractions (at times, literally) in that there is no depth to them. Would have been more interesting if there was a little more thought given to the characters themselves.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Steve Ogden
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2012 at 12:26am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

"Before Plan 9: Plans 1-8 From Outer Space" conceived and edited by Tony Schaab.

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2012 at 10:27pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

13) "Fahrenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury, read by Scott Brick

Yet another classic I have never read, even though I love Bradbury, in whose memory I chose this. Cautionary tale of a man coming to grips with a society that revels in the burning of books. The passages are alternately riveting, horrifying, and hilarious. 

Brick is an excellent voice artist, and will keep my eyes open for other books he reads.

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2012 at 11:47pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Just finished Vol.2 of The Best of Robert E. Howard (I think I have all of the Del Ray Howard Library now save for the horror and El Borak collections). I think he may be the best pure adventure writer of the 20th Century. 

The Deadly Streets by Harlan Ellison. Almost finished. Years and years of loving reading this guys interviews, and watching the, and I'm finally getting around to reading him. I decided to start at the very beginning with Ellison, and while I like his writing, the inner works of 1950's street gangs isn't really why I want to read Ellison. I might jump ahead to Ellison Wonderland and go from there.

Phillip K. Dick: Four Novels of the 1960's (The Man in the High Castle (which I finished), The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and Ubik)

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2012 at 5:56am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Just finished Vol.2 of The Best of Robert E. Howard (I think I have all of the Del Ray Howard Library now save for the horror and El Borak collections). I think he may be the best pure adventure writer of the 20th Century. 

Every time I think about Howard's body of work, I'm stunned by the fact that he wrote so much and inspired so many other writers with his work, all by the age of 30! So much accomplished in such a short life.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2012 at 10:45pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

14) "Bad Monkeys" by Matt Ruff

Mildly interesting novel of woman locked away explaining how she works for a super-secret organization that tries to rid the world of evil. Twists and turns, eventually leading nowhere.

I need to spend time reading books as good as the ones I'm listening to.

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2012 at 4:51pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

15) "Mr. g" by Alan Lightman, read by Ray Porter

A novel on Creation, for grownups with a scientific twist. Funny, irreverent, thought-provoking, everything a good Creation story should be; also leaves open and doesn't answer quite a lot. Highly recommended.

<< Prev Page of 254 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version