Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 254 Next >>
Topic: What are you reading now? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2012 at 3:36pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Right now I'm listening to Ulysses by James Joyce. The reader is Jim Norton and he's great. I don't think it's a book I'd be willing to sit and read, so the audio is my best bet.

Also, I'm still listening to The Bible and reading the One Year Bible. One day at a time works better I think for this. I'll get this one done! I'm really trying to get the Classics in. 

As for "real" reading, I'm slogging thru Faulkner's Snopes Trilogy, but it's going slow for me. Sometimes I get in these modes where I just don't feel like reading too much. I'll keep at it tho. 

Back to Top profile | search | www

Fabrice Renault
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2012 at 4:09pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Rich,

Sorry for the late reply. I did not notice your post. I recommend the first three books Asimov wrote at first, then the "prequels" (2 books), then the following ones. All are quite good.
The only quibble I personally have is that Asimov tried to put both Foundation books and Robots books in the same universe.
Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2012 at 6:17pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Brad -

"Ulysses" is 27 hours?!? I would have to have a much longer commute to be able to get in to the zone to listen to that.

I once tried reading this, with the intention of getting thru it by June 19, but I had brought it on my honeymoon so reading really didn't work out.

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2012 at 6:22pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

18) "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins

(Okay, so I put off "Gods of Mars" for a bit, but this came in thru the library, and I really wanted to read it!)

Very enjoyable, action packed, lots of interesting subtext that is slowly reveiled (and not!) thruout the story. I whipped thru this in about 3 days.

Steven McCauley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2012 at 6:22pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

THE MAGICIANS by Lev Grossman.  Pretty fun read.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2012 at 7:52pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Butcher's Moon by Richard Stark. ('bout halfway through)

I don't usually post in this thread even though go through a few books per month, but I'm really excited about this one!

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2012 at 8:09am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Steven -

Love "The Magicians"! There's a sequel that's pretty good too!

William Roberge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2012 at 4:21pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I just started THE THIN BLACK LINE: Perspectives on Vince Colletta.

I've heard a lot about this book and wanted to check it out myself.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 07 July 2012 at 9:17am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Inspired by a series on A&E that I've really enjoyed, I picked up THE COLD DISH by Craig Johnson.  It's the first novel in his Walt Longmire mystery series.  In recent years I've tended to read more nonfiction, taking a break in-between three or four books to read a novel.  I guess my patience for fiction has grown rather thin.  Glad to say that not only was I rewarded for trying out a new author, his writing style has so impressed me that I've just now ordered the next two books in the series. 

What I like about this first entry, and what I understand is a hallmark of the author, is that it takes it's time setting up place and character.  Wyoming is every bit as big a character as the lead and supporting characters.  In doing so, the novel isn't fast paced.  It's not searching for clues every chapter.  It's not working every angle to death.  In short, it's not a roller coaster, although there are chapters of the book that do get a reader's heart pumping.  It's using the genre to explore character and what characters they are.  I'm absolutely invested in everyone Johnson introduces and suitibly intrigued enough to find out more about them.  The novel is part Western, part noir and, in several key places, part poetry.  If you're used to a mystery taking hairpin turns at 150 MPH, this book won't be for you.  But if you're willing to let the pace wash over you, willing to explore characters who have more depth in a couple of chapters than most modern novels give you in a full book, then you'll be richly rewarded.  Highly recommended. 

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2012 at 8:16pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

19) "Call of the Wild" by Jack London, as read by William Roberts.

Great adventure tale, where the protagonist just happens to be a dog. Escapes, friendship, deceits, this has it all. Wish I hadn't put off reading this.

Unfortunately, since this is seen as a kids' book (probably because the narrator is a dog) the reading is just a bit over-dramatic, which took a bit of the wind out of the sails. And since this is on the Naxos label, there are classical music interludes between all of the chapters.

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2012 at 1:28am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I love Call of the Wild, it's a great read. Jack London did a great job of bringing Buck to life as a real character. It's not just a kid's book.

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2012 at 4:43am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

THE CANARY TRAINER - second Nicholas Meyer Sherlock Holmes novel.

<< Prev Page of 254 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version