Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 254 Next >>
Topic: What are you reading now? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2012 at 7:47am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Just put down Winter of the World.  I loved it! It's scope is just so huge and rich.

Randy, I've been working on the Reacher novels for a little while. I'm on the fifth book, Echo Burning.  I've been reading them in publicaton order but I think you could read them randomly as stand-alone stories and not miss much.  They seem to have a pretty similar formula.  Reacher is on the road, is drawn into some kind of crisis, bangs a hot chick, solves the crisis (kills all the bad guys), and moves on.  Having said that, books 3 and 4, Tripwire and Running Blind, both focus on the same girl and Reacher's attempt to live a normal non-wanderer, fixed address kind of lifestyle.  I think you should at least read those two in order.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 September 2012 at 9:36pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

44) "Last Chance to See" by Douglas Adams with Mark Carwardine, read by Douglas Adams

Brilliant travelogue, of Adams going on a number of trips to find highly endangered animals accompanied by a trained naturalist. As you might expect, his descriptions of not only the animals but also his journey to get to each are hilarious, and also poignant: some of the animals (as of the writing in 1990) exist as less than a couple of dozen of the species in the entire world.

Highly recommend this audio version of the book: takes it to a new level to hear the author relate his personal travels, and Adams' timing is a real treat. I saw him several times on his author tours; when he was in town promoting this book there were maybe 40 other people huddled with me in a basement. Hearing this again really takes me back.

Edited by Andrew Hess on 27 September 2012 at 9:40pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Philippe Pinoli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 September 2012 at 8:02am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Just finished The Fear Book & Whipping Boy by You Know Who.

Just began the latest SAS (does somebody know this in the US ?) before God & Goddess by You Know Who

Derek Cavin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 September 2012 at 3:52am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Derek Cavin: Bill Bruford The Autobiography

-----------------------

Reading this one right now and loving every page!

Awesome.  I really enjoyed this, a different approach to a biography.

Brian Burnham
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 September 2012 at 6:01am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Just starting A Wanted Man, the new Lee Child Reacher book.
Back to Top profile | search

Derek Cavin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 September 2012 at 7:57pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Time of the Twins - Weis & Hickman

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 September 2012 at 9:11pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

THE JACK KIRBY OMNIBUS VOLUME 1-- Haven't read any of these before.

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2012 at 9:11pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

45) "A Hero of Our TIme" by Mikhail Lermontov

Adventure/travelogue novel, written in 1839 by a Russian author/poet/painter/etc who might have become a great deal if he hadn't died in a duel at 26. 

This collection of stories, told from a variety of points of view, paints a picture of the main character, Pechorin, that is neither flattering nor complete but is meant to be "Byronic." The descriptions of the area in Russia it takes place, the Caucasus, are outstanding. And from what I hear, this character was a bit of an inspiration for Fleming's James Bond.

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2012 at 10:39pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

46) "Lemons Never Lie" by Donald Westlake, writing as Richard Stark

Just like Stark's Parker books, this is a tightly written, no-nonsense heist story where things start to go wrong nearly immediately and the book unfolds as the main character, Grofield, tries to pull himself out of a situation he tried to walk away from to begin with. Unlike Parker, tho, we get a glimpse of Grofield's life outside of crime, and some of his dreams as well.

Just did a bit of research, and Grofield was in several other novels as well. Might need to track them down as I am the Parker books.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2012 at 8:36am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

ESSENTIAL DOCTOR STRANGE VOLUME 1.

Very strange (no pun intended and I do not say that in a pejorative way). Gripping, though. And the type of stories you can immerse yourselves in ,particularly those featuring Dormammu.

By the way, rather than start a new topic, I was going to buy ESSENTIAL X-MEN VOL. 1 as I have only read 2 classic X-Men tales, the first issue and the second issue featuring The Vanisher. Went to order it on amazon, but ESSENTIAL X-MEN VOL. 1 starts with GIANT SIZE X-MEN #1 and UNCANNY X-MEN #94, meaning the previous 93 issues appear to be unavailable. Why haven't the first 93 issues been reprinted? I would like to see early tales, especially those featuring Juggernaut.

Does anyone know why they've skipped all of those issues? Thanks.
Back to Top profile | search

Robert Kowalewski II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2012 at 8:39am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Just finished "A Clockwork Orange", is it weird that when I read the book I hear Malcolm McDowell narrating(even the parts that didn't get put into the movie)?

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2012 at 8:49am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

By the way, rather than start a new topic, I was going to buy ESSENTIAL X-MEN VOL. 1 as I have only read 2 classic X-Men tales, the first issue and the second issue featuring The Vanisher. Went to order it on amazon, but ESSENTIAL X-MEN VOL. 1 starts with GIANT SIZE X-MEN #1 and UNCANNY X-MEN #94, meaning the previous 93 issues appear to be unavailable. Why haven't the first 93 issues been reprinted? I would like to see early tales, especially those featuring Juggernaut.

Does anyone know why they've skipped all of those issues? Thanks.

Robbie, they reprinted those early stories in three volumes that were called ESSENTIAL CLASSIC X-MEN.

I'm assuming they wanted to start with the more popular later X-Men stories when the Essentials began.

So the Silver Age stories are available, but not as easy to find.  
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 254 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version