Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 254 Next >>
Topic: What are you reading now? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2012 at 9:04pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

57) "The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde" by Robert Louis Stevenson, read by Martin Jarvis

In which we meet the good Doctor and a fiendish creature with seemingly no moral qualms whatsoever.

Interesting narrative, filled with lovely and turgid prose, very evocative of the times and a great way to start off fall; the concept of a hidden evil soul seems a very Victorian concept, just waiting for Freud to work out.

Interesting too when the story switches to letters for the last third or so of the book. Makes me wonder if there have been any great novels written as a series of emails. 
Back to Top profile | search | www

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2012 at 5:42am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Finished reading The Walking Dead Compendium 1 and 2 (from 01 to 96).
I am really enjoying the series, and noted that it became a typical old wild west story. Cannot wait to get my hands in TWD 104 and see what's next.
Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2012 at 10:06pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

58) "Circles" by James Burke

A collection of the essays Burke (famous for his "Connections" series back in the '70s, which he continued in the '80s and '90s) did for Scientific American back in the '90s. Seeing as I was reading 10-20 of these little 5-page articles at a time, got a little confused as to who was connected to whom; especially since he was referencing several of the same people in different pieces.

More so than his previous books, his speaking "voice" really comes thru. Like in the way he speaks in sentence fragments. To build up to a point. Great strings of puns throughout as well, as in his shows. 

Brian Burnham
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2012 at 4:30pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Marvel Comics, The Untold Story by Sean Howe................picked up off the new book rack at the library...starting it tonight

Edited by Brian Burnham on 11 November 2012 at 4:30pm

Valmor J. Pedretti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2012 at 7:03pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Just caught HOW MUSIC WORKS by David Byrne and should be starting any minute now!

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2012 at 7:19pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

A TEAM OF RIVALS by Doris Kearns Goodwin

Derek Cavin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2012 at 4:20am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The Book of Five Rings - Miyamoto Musashi
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 November 2012 at 6:03am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

MAIN STREET, Sinclair Lewis.

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2012 at 7:55am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

THE BREATH OF GOD: Holmes & Watson team up with occult detectives Dr. John Silence and Thomas Carnacki to investigate some apparently supernatural murders that involve The Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn and Alistair Crowley

Brian Burnham
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2012 at 8:30am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I finished "Marvel Comics, The Untold Story" by Sean Howe. Some interesting stories but overall a negative portrayal of Marvel. Not just currently but through the years. There was a extensive list of creators/ personalities interviewed listed in the back of the book. JB is not one listed (others not listed incl. any Kirby family) but JB is quoted several times. I assume the author took other interviewees word about what was or was not said by the people he didn't or couldn't talk to. I don't care for one side stories though when people are still alive to refute them. If a book says Thomas Jefferson and John Adams were friends based on letters they wrote and anecdotal evidence then we have to decide based on what was written. They are no living witnesses. I don't feel that the author tried to paint people in a bad light with preconceived notions but that doesn't preclude the people he did interview from having an agenda. I had a similar negative feeling after reading the E.S.P.N. book. Maybe I just remember Marvel from my childhood through rose (or Stan's Soapbox) colored glasses...............     

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2012 at 10:05am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Brian - Howe may have attempted to interview the people you're referring to, but they may have declined to participate.  We don;t know unless he mentions it in his book or it comes out somewhere else.  And many of the quotes could have been taken from other sources (of course if those quotes were incorrect or misleading in the first place the errors are perpetuated).

I generally find that third party accounts are fairly dependable unless the author has an ax to grind, and it doesn't seem like that's the case here.  While the book does reveal some unseemly behavior by some of the creators of our favorite comics (particularly in the early 70's) and presents Stan Lee in a less-than-flattering light on occasional, I think it does a pretty good job of presenting both sides of the story, especially in the case of the treatment of Jack Kirby.

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2012 at 10:32am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

John Irving - A Prayer for owen Meany

<< Prev Page of 254 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version