Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 254 Next >>
Topic: What are you reading now? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2013 at 7:08pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

82) "The War of the Worlds" by H G Wells, read by Christopher Hurt

The classic sci-fi/horror story (cover copy says it's the first book that proposed intelligent life on other planets; need to look in to that) of aliens from Mars coming and destroying life on earth. I had forgotten how much of a horror novel this is, told from the point of view of an unnamed narrator, as he witnesses the destruction and murder with no idea of why or how anyone can stop the aliens. Surprising, with such an early sci-fi story, how much Wells gets right (IMO) about how alien life might interact with us, and what an excellent choice it was to not give us any inkling as to why the aliens were doing what they did.

The spoken narration was a detriment in this case: the reader spoke almost glibly throughout, never changing his cadence as he describes the horrors, giving a poor counter-point to the relentlessness of the invasion.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2013 at 7:19pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I'm listening to Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything and
reading his Neither Here Nor There. He's become a favorite of mine.
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2013 at 8:33pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Hello Darlin' by Larry Hagman
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Derek Cavin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2013 at 6:20pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

David Bowie: Starman by Paul Trynka

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2013 at 10:51pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Thomas - 

"Short History" as read by the author? 

And how many disks? The book is a read doorstop!

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2013 at 11:21pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

83) "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee

A story of growing up in rural Alabama during the Depression, from the point of view of a young girl whose lawyer father is defending a black man being tried for rape of a white woman.

I read this a few years ago (in part because my step-sister had just named her son Atticus for the lawyer father (she and her partner are both attorneys, and she and her mother were librarians, so kinda a natural fit), and now my son is going to read it for school, so thought I would take the opportunity to read it again.

Truly an American Classic: the story itself is fairly gentle for the most part, each chapter almost a short story of Scout's life and growing up. The trial that is the backbone of the book sort of simmers in the background until it is told in detail, and its conclusion is inevitable. Can't wait for my son to read it so that I can get the perspective of a teenager on this story.

Fabrice Renault
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2013 at 1:23am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The Master and Margarita, by Mikhail Bulgakov.

Philippe Pinoli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2013 at 4:34am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Just finished my chrismas gift :

Micro (the last and posthume Crichton)...a bit disapointing
Enigma (the 2nd Thomas "Pompei ,Vaterland, Archangel, Cicero's trilogy,  all greats" Harris), a bit disapointing too

Just finished my first Jack Reacher (following my father's advice and Tom Cruise's)(Running Blind)....GREAT stuff ! 16 more to go !

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 February 2013 at 5:42am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

QUARTERED SAFE OUT HERE, George MacDonald Faser

The author is perhaps best known for his Flashman books, but this is his memoirs of his time as a soldier in the British Army in Burma, during WW2.

Some of you will recall that this was the theater in which my father served, so I grew up with an awareness of that fighting, the names of famous battles drifting by in Dad's conversation, even tho he "didn't like to talk about the War." In adulthood, I eventually realize the main reason for his silence was that he'd served as a company clerk, and had not actually seen combat! So, coming upon this book, I was intrigued to read the experiences of someone who had actually lived what Dad could only hint at.

First thing to strike me is that the book is decidedly non-PC. It was written in the mid Seventies, before such delicacies were thrust upon us, and in the opening sentence Fraser refers to the enemy collectively as "Jap". Not "the Japanese" or even "the Japs". Just "Jap". That aside, within a few pages he has already managed to give me a sense of what it was like to be inside his head as a 20-something in the middle of a bloody jungle war.

The title of the book, for those not familiar, come from the opening stanza of Kipling's GUNGA DIN, which I also read first (and often) as a child.

You may talk o' gin and beer
When you're quartered safe out 'ere,
An' you're sent to penny-fights an' Aldershot it;
But when it comes to slaughter
You will do your work on water,
An' you'll lick the bloomin' boots of 'im that's got it.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 February 2013 at 5:45am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

…cover copy says [THE WAR OF THE WORLDS is] the first book that proposed intelligent life on other planets; need to look in to that…

••

Not really. From the earliest days of realization that the Sun was a star, and that the stars were therefore suns in their own right, authors began speculating about life on other planets, even on the Sun itself! Wells was the first to suggest that life might turn out to hostile, tho!

Jeremy Simington
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2013 at 6:14pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

MARKED MAN with writing and art by Howard Mackie. Fantastic stuff! This original GN was published in Dec. 2012. The main character is a career criminal and the story is in the "job gone wrong" vein, though that brief description doesn't do it justice. As I was reading it, the thought I kept having was that this is old-school comics story-telling (pacing, characterization, action) but it felt modern. Thank you, Howard Mackie, for producing something awesome.

Chris Cottrill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2013 at 7:48pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Dear hacker: letters to the editor of 2600

So it's been a fun read for a non fiction book. It's kind of a look back for 
me. What a long strange trip from 80s computers and phone phreaking
to now.

<< Prev Page of 254 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version