Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: OT: Jesus Christ: Super-Hero? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2011 at 8:16am | IP Logged | 1  

My wife had NEVER read a comic book before Sandman and Preacher......Philistine. She liked The Death books too.

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 February 2011 at 8:36am | IP Logged | 2  

Jesus was a regular in GHOST RIDER while Tony Isabella was writing the book -- at least until the Powers that Were at Marvel realized what was going on and Johnny Blaze's "friend" became somebody else.

Maybe it's time for that adaptation of the Book of Matthew I have been threatening to do for so many years now!

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2011 at 8:42am | IP Logged | 3  

Joe Casey did an X Men story with the evil Church of Humanity, whose Pope-like leader wore a robe that featured a cross...until Joe Quesada got wind of it and ordered the symbol removed.

Paul Simpson Simpson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2011 at 8:57am | IP Logged | 4  

Jesus was a regular in GHOST RIDER while Tony Isabella was writing the book

++

I was pretty young back then and that one went right over my head.

All of this nonsense stems from our society giving weight to every idiot who screams " I'm Offended " no matter how stupid the so called offence.

--

(Edited to distinguish quote from response - JB)

Edited by JohnByrne2 on 01 February 2011 at 10:57am

Roger A Ott II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2011 at 10:03am | IP Logged | 5  

Well, of course!  Our culture is becoming way too sensitive about way too many things, so imagine how bad it will be in another 50-60 years, when everyone with a backbone will be too old to do anything about it.

Edited by Roger A Ott II on 01 February 2011 at 10:04am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2011 at 10:10am | IP Logged | 6  

I don't find the Swamp Thing idea offensive personally but I can see why DC'd have deemed it a commercial risk and I think the creators involved should've been mature enough to accept the decision. DC was footing the bill for it so it was the company's choice to make.

Edited by Martin Redmond on 01 February 2011 at 10:17am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 February 2011 at 11:00am | IP Logged | 7  

Well, of course! Our culture is becoming way too sensitive about way too many things, so imagine how bad it will be in another 50-60 years, when everyone with a backbone will be too old to do anything about it.

••

You're forgetting the inevitable pendulum effect. During the Seventies, when everything was wild and crazy and nothing seemed to offend anybody -- or, at least, anybody of consequence -- I expressed my concern that the pattern of history would assert itself, and we would swing to the opposite extreme. My spider-sense tingled the first time I heard the term "political correctness".

50 or 60 years from now, we'll probably have swung thru another period of complete abandon, and be heading BACK into one of repression!

Paul Simpson Simpson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2011 at 11:31am | IP Logged | 8  

I miss the days of a good offensive Richard Pryor or Redd Foxx album. It was funny because it was offensive. I was a kid so I did not always understand what they were talking about, but it sure was funny.

Thanks for the edit JB. My bad.

Edited by Paul Simpson Simpson on 01 February 2011 at 11:36am

Pete Carrubba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2011 at 11:38am | IP Logged | 9  

I agree with JB. PC is nothing more than a way to control language, and thus, thought. George Carlin did a wonderful bit on euphemistic language that addresses it quite nicely.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 February 2011 at 11:48am | IP Logged | 10  

I have commented before, on more than one occasion, that some of the current "generation", so eager to take offense at everything and anything, would suffer a severe case of exploding headitis, if they could time travel back to Marvel in the Seventies. Then the thinking was informed almost entirely by the eternally non-PC NATIONAL LAMPOON, and it seemed that no one could ever really be offended by things that were so totally off the wall -- so utterly and deliberately extreme. Some example (and watch these get ME in trouble now!):

• It was the habit in the Office to refer to CAPTAIN AMERICA AND THE FALCON as "Captain America and the Fowl Coon".

• Black Goliath was frequently referred to as "The Big Nig".

• One writer expressed his desire to do a Black Goliath story titled "The Jig is Up".

• Another wanted to put the credit names on furniture on the opening splash of an issue he scripted, so the name of a Jewish member of the team could be lettered on a lampshade.

• And, of course, the various examples of "fuck", "shit", and other such words worked into backgrounds are infamous.

And if there was anyone who didn't think these were "funny", they sure didn't say anything about it at the time!*

-----

* Altho in the PC world in which we live today, there are plenty of people now all to eager to talk about how "difficult" it was to work at Marvel in those days. Retroactive offense?

Paul Simpson Simpson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2011 at 12:14pm | IP Logged | 11  

From my reading of interviews and such a bunch of those guys back then were children of the 60's and leaned liberal. Sounds like a good case of retroactive liberal guilt. It's sad that the generation who stood up for freedom and equality has become a bunch of do what I say morality nannies and foisted their shit on my generation.

Edited by Paul Simpson Simpson on 01 February 2011 at 12:15pm

Jesus Garcia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2011 at 12:43pm | IP Logged | 12  

Mel Gibson's The Passion impressed me in the following way: I realized that the abuse the Christ endured -- the scourging scene was very grraphic and culminated in ribs showing through the flesh -- placed him in a superheroic position.

Assuming he had full "God abilities" at this disposal, he could have placed himself out of harm's way. He had the power but chose not to use it. Somehow, my exposure to scripture had failed to fully make me understand this point; seeing it graphically like that, brought about a stunning understanding.

It hit the same note that is struck when The Batman choses not to use deadly force on his opponents.

However, I don't think Christ could be a superhero with ongoing tales because it's a case of "I came, I saw, I conquered -- the end." The power of his passage would be diminished by sequel appearances. At best, you could do untold tales.

Makes me think of Adam Warlock under Jim Starlin. The 1977 Avengers Annual was probably one of the most thrilling comicbooks I<ve ever read because it lived up to it's premise of Warlock being with Warlock at the end. And it was intended to be and END. Further appearances of Warlock just serve to dilute the impact of what I consider the finale to the story.

The other thing is that, as depicted in the Bible, Christ only uses his powers ocassionally or not a all: mostly he talks. Not very interesting for fans expecting action.

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version