Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Northstar question for JB (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2011 at 6:40am | IP Logged | 1  

I see. I was always partial to his blue and white X-Factor look, with the school uniform being second. However, I was never a fan of the "slim" visor...
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 March 2011 at 6:50am | IP Logged | 2  

Perhaps it was easier with the yellow on his chest and back to render Cyclops still as he was originally conceived, namely, "Slim" Summers. Without that, just the bare black, maybe it was too tempting to beef him up?

••

Beefing him up was deliberate. The order came down from On High to make him look "more like a leader". I slammed into this head on with my first issue, where I tried to bring him back to his former proportions.

Marcel Chenier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2011 at 6:53am | IP Logged | 3  

Whenever I unexpectedly see random old-school JB/Austin X-Men clips it takes me back instantly to the feeling of where/what I was when I first read them.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2011 at 7:00am | IP Logged | 4  

Lee-Kirby made Cyclops into one of the best team leaders in comicbook history by dint of his intelligence and courage -- not the size of his pecs. Does every leader have to resemble Captain America?! Sheesh. And it seems also that after the classic original look, Reed Richards was also rather beefed up. But his look definitely returned to Kirby form with the advent of JB, and that was great to behold.

Also, back on Cyclops, his "slim" figure fit perfectly into his sense of insecurity vis-a-vis Jean, especially with genuine blonde god beefcake Warren Worthington as his competition! Nu? Man... how PERFECT did Lee-Kirby set things up?!

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2011 at 7:38am | IP Logged | 5  

I've always loved that panel of Cyclops zapping Northstar!

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2011 at 8:22am | IP Logged | 6  

"And it seems also that after the classic original look,
Reed Richards was also rather beefed up. But his look
definitely returned to Kirby form with the advent of JB,
and that was great to behold."

Kirby himself beefed him up, if you go back and take a look
at the early issues.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 March 2011 at 9:24am | IP Logged | 7  

Kirby tended to beef everybody up! Certainly Reed and Johnny packed on several pounds of muscle in the first few years of the book. It was all part or Marvel's (unconscious?) drift away from being "The Little Company that Could".

Armindo Macieira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2011 at 9:24am | IP Logged | 8  

I have to say that I like this visor better... seemed more "slick" maybe...
Back to Top profile | search | www

Bill Catellier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2011 at 5:31pm | IP Logged | 9  

Love how that panel shows Cyclops blasts the way they're supposed to work.  Concussive force not laser blasts.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2011 at 6:12pm | IP Logged | 10  

I remember this issue had a major "waitaminnit" moment for me. The X-Men come to the Calgary Stampede, where they find Wolverine and Nightcrawler. Suddenly Alpha Flight appears from behind them, complete with little caption boxes letting the reader know who they are.

Then there's a brief cutaway of Banshee, Colleen Wing and Misty Knight trying to get into the Stampede, and when we return, we find shenanigans are afoot:

"Hey waitaminnit," sez 13 year-old me. How does Colossus know Northstar's code name? Did they all stop and trade business cards during the cutaway, or is his secondary mutation the ability to read caption boxes?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Craig Howrie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2011 at 8:40pm | IP Logged | 11  

It's always nice having some discussion about Northstar (albeit, the Northstar that was).  I instantly gravitated to the character back when I scored Alpha Flight #1 (thank you, Grandma) and connected with Northstar, even going as far as getting Mom to make a Halloween costume for me ('And you're wearing the cape.  Flying superheroes should have capes,' said Mom.  I took it off as soon as I got inside the school doors that day).

Interesting to go back and reread the first 28 issues and find all that subtext, just waiting for me.  I identified with the only gay character before I even knew what was happening.  That's good, inclusive comic books.  In a very subtle way, John Byrne managed to ease my adolescent anxieties just by including a 3 dimensional, thought-out character like Northstar.  So, I suppose a big thank you is in order!

Thank you, John Byrne!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 March 2011 at 1:22am | IP Logged | 12  

How does Colossus know Northstar's code name?

••

And that, right there, is why I try to bring in the "introductions" in unobtrusive (as possible) lines of dialog!

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version