Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Galactus vs. The Celestials. Who wins? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2011 at 1:12pm | IP Logged | 1  

in the other thread, where we are having a great conversation about the Juggernaut vs. The Destroyer debate, with the Celestials being thrown in for good measure.  coincidentally, i was going to wait a few days to post this new thread about thse cosmic characters, but when we all started discussing  Juggernaut, Destroyer, plus the Celestials, i figured "what the heck"?

1st you have Galactus, who, in concept and in just raw power, is "the man" so to speak.  but that's if he is written right .  he is not being written right or even treated right by current Marvel IMO.  he is just all wrong now.

2nd you have the Celestials, who originally were not part of Marvel Universe proper.  but, when they were made part of what they now call Marvel Universe "616", it changed things for the cosmic balance.....or did it?  are the Celestials the most powerful cosmic characters now?

so, Galactus vs. The Celestials?  who wins?

what say you forum?  thoughts?  opinions?

Back to Top profile | search

Marin Balabanov
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2011 at 1:37pm | IP Logged | 2  

I guess Galactus could take on a couple of Celestials and defeat them.  My reasoning: It has been established in the Defalco/Frenz run on "Thor" that not every Celestial can destroy planets, they need a "special" Celestial (I beleive Exitar the Exterminator). Galactus on the other hand can destroy planets. If we take this as an indication of his power level, then he should be able to take on some of the Celestials.

The question is what happens when all Celestials team-up to defeat Galactus and perhaps even kill him. I believe Steve Englehart has established in his run on "Silver Surfer" in the 1980's that killing Galactus would cause a new big bang. If I recall right then John Byrne wrote in his description of the unwritten finale of the "Last Galactus Story" that when Galactus cracks open his helmet, the universe ends, causing a new big bang.

So a dead Celestial probably causes a great mess (perhaps on a planetary or even on a galactic scale), a dead Galactus causes the universe to be reborn.

But wait! Didn't Galactus "die" already once in the mini-series "Galactus the Destroyer", without causing the universe to re-boot? I am not sure how he came back, so perhaps that is a red herring.

(Sorry, edited for "reasoning" why Galactus is more powerful than single or a couple Celestials.)

Edited by Marin Balabanov on 28 March 2011 at 1:41pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Marin Balabanov
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2011 at 1:59pm | IP Logged | 3  

Dammit!

Not only am I nervous and slightly embarrassed to be the first to answer this very fanboyish question (please don't admonish me for this statement!), I forgot to make my point: Since Galactus being killed by the Celestials means that the universe ends, this means as well that the Celestials die with the universe.

So even in defeat, Galactus defeats them...

Brian Joseph Mayer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2011 at 2:31pm | IP Logged | 4  

But wait! Didn't Galactus "die" already once in the mini-series "Galactus the Destroyer", without causing the universe to re-boot? I am not sure how he came back, so perhaps that is a red herring.
I was under the impression that Galactus's death wouldn't bring about an automatic universal big-bang.  I thought it more a reveral of the current processes.  So if Galactus died in a few billion years the universe would cease to exist.

I think I have the idea from the Silver Surfer series from the late 80s or so when the Elders of the Universe were going to kill Galactus setting themselves up to take his place.

Edited by Brian Joseph Mayer on 28 March 2011 at 2:32pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2011 at 4:52pm | IP Logged | 5  

You can't judge Galactus or the Celestials power on their ability to destroy planets. The Surfer has destroyed planetoids, as have a few other heralds, so that is hardly the extent of their destructive potential. 

Galactus and the Celestials are very close in power, but there is really no reason that the Celestials, or a single high ranking Celestial at least, couldn't be slightly more powerful. There are several other cosmic entities that dwarf Galactus in power (Eternity, Death, the Living Tribunal, etc) anyway.

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2011 at 4:53pm | IP Logged | 6  

Galactus. William told me so.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

William Roberge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2011 at 4:57pm | IP Logged | 7  

Damn Straight!!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

William Roberge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2011 at 5:02pm | IP Logged | 8  

Marin Balabanov
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2011 at 5:03pm | IP Logged | 9  

Where is that from?

It looks awesome!

(Edit: Awesome!)

Edited by Marin Balabanov on 28 March 2011 at 5:03pm

William Roberge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2011 at 5:07pm | IP Logged | 10  

It was done by Giorgio Comolo.

Marin Balabanov
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2011 at 5:18pm | IP Logged | 11  

In Walt Simonson's run on "the Fantastic Four", I think that a future incarnation of Galactus starts to consume the whole universe. The Celestials being in the universe would have them consumed with it. (In the same run, the Sleeping Celestial woke up.)

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2011 at 6:02pm | IP Logged | 12  

It was a Celestial that turned Galactus into a living weapon consuming the universe against his will.

First I would say Celestials aren't all equal.  And most fight as a team.

Second, if you play the connect the dot game, Odin said Galactus is a near rival, but Celestials are as far above him as he is above Spider-man. OK that is hyperbole, but you get the point.

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version