Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Jim Shooter: Hank Pym Not a Wife Beater (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2011 at 7:52pm | IP Logged | 1  

Apologizes if this has been posted already.

http://www.jimshooter.com/2011/03/hank-pym-was-not-wife-beat er.html

"In that story (issue 213, I think), there is a scene in which Hank is supposed to have accidentally struck Jan while throwing his hands up in despair and frustration—making a sort of “get away from me” gesture while not looking at her.  Bob Hall, who had been taught by John Buscema to always go for the most extreme action, turned that into a right cross!  There was no time to have it redrawn, which, to this day has caused the tragic story of Hank Pym to be known as the “wife-beater” story."

Back to Top profile | search

Wayde Murray
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2011 at 8:24pm | IP Logged | 2  

Too little, and far, far too late.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2011 at 8:31pm | IP Logged | 3  

Wow, so it wasn't even (supposed to be) that one time.

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2011 at 9:27pm | IP Logged | 4  

Wasn't he EIC at the time? Couldn't he have, oh, I dunno... forced someone to write a scene a few months later explaining it? Couldn't he have written that scene himself as writer of the series?

He seemed to love him some hands on approach to correct things that weren't mistakes. One gets made... and he says nothing for 30 years?

Interesting. I call BS. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2011 at 9:31pm | IP Logged | 5  

I wonder if the artist would agree with what Mr. Shooter says.

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2011 at 10:32pm | IP Logged | 6  

Shooter has said that before he took over, there was minimal editorial oversight, and it was typical for a book to go from penciller to scripter to letterer to inker without being seen by the editor until it was finished.  But he changed that, and instituted the policy of having it go through the editor at each stage of production.  Given that, it's hard to believe such a mistake could have happened without the editor noticing.  For that matter, if the book was done Marvel-style, Shooter himself should have seen the error when he received the pencilled pages to dialogue (I'm pretty sure he wasn't writing full script at this point, was he?).  And why wasn't there time to redraw it, if it was that important of a story point?  How long would it take to get Romita or someone in the office to redraw and paste up one panel?  I'm skeptical of this story.

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 29 March 2011 at 10:33pm

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2011 at 10:36pm | IP Logged | 7  

Sorry that the name HANK PYM only ever comes up in connection to this.

Poor guy deserved better.

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2011 at 12:18am | IP Logged | 8  

Even if what Shooter says is true... Pym got the shit end of the stick with this "storyline" which was really just one panel.

He was crazy at the time, having suffered a mental breakdown after being brainwashed by Ultron, and he was planning an attack on the Avengers so he could get back in their good graces after being suspended for being too volatile. 

Heck, the storyline after had him being brainwashed by another villain, didn't it? 

Anyway, the point is, he was not a "wife-beater" - he hit her ONCE and he was INSANE when he did it. It was a villain's fault; though you could have him feel guilty about it afterward, he wasn't necessarily responsible. That would have been a classic Marvel moment there. 

But NOOOOO!!!! Instead, that one moment defined him forever, and to this day he's known as the guy who hits his wife. I suppose it didn't help that the writer - some guy named Jim Shooter - had Jan divorce him after he was kicked off the team for good at that point.

Maybe the "artist" drew that wrong too and they couldn't change it on time before it went to the printers? 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 March 2011 at 4:13am | IP Logged | 9  

The notion of there "not being time" to have something redrawn is preposterous. If nothing else, the INKER could have redrawn it.

And remember, this is the same Jim Shooter who, with the deadline screaming for mercy, had plenty of "time" to get ENTIRE PAGES redrawn in the return of Jean Grey story in FF, after I announced I would be doing SUPERMAN and therefore had to be PUNISHED. There was also an AVENGERS issue that was terminally late by the time the plot got to me, up in Canada, so Roger Stern, as editor, told me to do loose breakdowns and he would get several inkers to finish them. Alas, Shooter was in one of his "moods", and so, despite the lateness of the book and Roger's protests, Shooter insisted the pages be sent back to me to be "finished properly". Plenty of time for THAT, apparently!*

This is, of course, operating on the assumption that there really WAS something that needed to be changed, and that the penciller had not merely drawn exactly what he was told to draw.

__

* When Shooter complained to me that I had left out backgrounds in many panels (this was the second part of the Absorbing Man story) I pointed out that I had done so only where the backgrounds would be covered by copy, and that the inkers, pressed for time, would probably have dropped what little would have been visible anyway. This was the issue that was lost in the mail, en route back to me, and so had to be inked on overlay, over xeroxes. True to my prediction, the inkers left blank the same areas I had left blank, which were subsequently filled up with balloons and captions.

Thanos Kollias
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2011 at 4:25am | IP Logged | 10  

Bullshit. The story doesn't read in any way to support what Shooter says. The Avengers later meet Jan who is wearing glasses to hide her black eye and then when she takes them off and reveals it, Hank makes no effort to claim t was a mistake.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2011 at 4:26am | IP Logged | 11  

The portrayal of Hank Pym as a wife-beater was regrettably continued in the ULTIMATES story. Never one for subtlety, Mark Millar even took the idea 10 steps further.  

Thanos Kollias
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2011 at 4:45am | IP Logged | 12  

Time for me to add my "I hate Millar's work" comment...
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version