Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 16 Next >>
Topic: HBO: Game of Thrones (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2011 at 1:15pm | IP Logged | 1  

Ode to Boobage
By Geoff Gibson

Now when you're down in the dumps
And you've taken all your lumps
Nothin' gets you back on track
Like a girl with a lovely rack

If your down and out, feeling kinda blue
And you can't smile and sadness follows you
Well, a cure won't come from kisses or hugs
Unless its from a girl with bouncing jugs

Oh yeah, Boobs make me smile,
I've loved 'em since I was a child
And I love 'em still today
I'm a breast man, what can I say?

Back to Top profile | search | email

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2011 at 2:30pm | IP Logged | 2  

Note to self: Geoff does not possess the Criterion collection Blu-Ray of The Quiet Man.
Back to Top profile | search

Geoff Gibson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2011 at 7:30am | IP Logged | 3  

Oh how I wish there was a really well done remastered version of "The Quiet Man!"

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2011 at 1:13pm | IP Logged | 4  

A shot of Maureen O'Hara's washing her bossom with buttermilk. Boobage counts Jodi!

LOL OK that and the poem cracked me up!!!.
Back to Top profile | search | www

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2011 at 7:03am | IP Logged | 5  

Just finished the book A Game of Thrones. Excellent read!

As good as the series is so far its got a lot to live up to.  The second season should be amazing.

Arya Stark is my little hero. She was a favorite from the start of the series but now after reading about her fully fleshed out in the book I want to adopt her!

Tyrion Lannister could emerge as one of my favorite characters on TV ever. Right up there with Spike from Buffy, Omar from The Wire.

I can't wait for the next episode even though I kinda know whats gonna happen.  I'm still very excited for it.

Wayne K Purdy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2011 at 1:07pm | IP Logged | 6  

Interesting episode last night. I had no idea that Renly and Loras were gay. At first I thought it was just HBO making the series more gritty but maybe GRRM was dropping subtle hints all along. I found this discussion about the books http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/mlarchives/faq/lorasrenly.html

Thanos Kollias
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2011 at 1:21am | IP Logged | 7  

I though this was the weaker episode so far. WAY too many talking heads. Especially the scene with the King and his queen. Boring!
I don't know how it happens in the books, but the whole thing with Stark being fired from the Hand position made little sense to me.
Back to Top profile | search | www | email

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2011 at 4:21am | IP Logged | 8  

Yeah, they took the very subtle Renly/Loras relationship and put it way out in front.  I made it to the fourth book before I finally picked up on the hints.  The problem with putting it out in front is that a whole bunch of later plots and character moments get ruined because you've learned stuff out of order.  I imagine that HBO wanted to show how edgy they could be.  Even apart from that, the actor they chose for Loras, man, he looks so skinny and waifish that Arya could kick his a**.  He's supposed to be a capable knight but he looks like the younger, skinnier boytoy of a J Crew model.  Renly as well is supposed to be like Robert in his prime, but they made him pretty wussy too.  I think the casting alone undercuts what GRRM was doing with those characters in the book. 

And speaking of HBO and gratuitous sex scenes...that scene with Roz and Theon, repeated all of the Greyjoy Rebellion back story that we got in the Tyrion scene a couple episodes ago, and even the scene with Bran right before it!  Totally superfluous.

Stark quit as the hand because he refused to go along with Robert on the killing of Visarys, Dany, and her child.  I also think that Ned had been disillusioned enough by Robert, and saw that he was out of his depth with the politicking that he was looking for any excuse to get the heck out of dodge.  However, I don't believe he's fully *done* as the hand.  Wasn't there a line of dialogue about Robert cooling down?

Edited by Jozef Brandt on 17 May 2011 at 4:25am

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2011 at 10:23am | IP Logged | 9  

Definitely was a weak episode, with all the talking.  Just when I thought they removed the sexual hook they were using to get fans of Spartacus involved, they dig it in big time with the Greyjoy/Roz scene.

I was also very surprised they went so far as to show the Lysa breast feeding shot.  I sure wouldn't let my son do that.

Wayne K Purdy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2011 at 11:23am | IP Logged | 10  

The breastfeeding scenes were creepy as Hell in the books, even more so when you actually got to see it. Also,  in the book there is a moment where Robert does cool down, and if I remember correctly, he even comes around to Ned's way of thinking.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2011 at 2:49pm | IP Logged | 11  

Regarding the breast feeding shot...you`ve obviouly never seen the U.K. comedy show `Little Britain` try youtube `Little Britain Bitty`

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2011 at 7:25pm | IP Logged | 12  

Ugh - as good as the scenes with Dinklage are, the ones in the sky cell are idiotic.  Who capers three inches from a precipice like that every chance he gets?

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2011 at 7:41pm | IP Logged | 13  

And now Bronn decides to fight with his back to the Moon Door like a fool.

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2011 at 3:29pm | IP Logged | 14  

Next week's episode (THANK YOU, HBO GO) is much better.  I thought a lot of this week's was just bad.

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2011 at 10:37am | IP Logged | 15  

I took my time and finally finished the first book last night.  While quite a few events were pretty predictable, the curveball with Ned I just didn't see coming.  I figured out 'the seed is strong' watching the first episode, but probably wouldn't have so quickly just reading the book.

I think there's almost too much going on in too many places through the last quarter of the book.  I wanted more Jon Snow, Arya, Ned and Robb.  I wanted to see way less of Dany, that part of the story just wasn't working for me. I think her part could have been reduced here and spread out into the next novel, considering how much is going on with the other characters.  I want WAY more Tyrion.

The characters Martin has created are deep, and sometimes really unpredictable (I'm looking at you, Littlefinger!). The different sweeping landscapes are fleshed out nicely, always a concern of mine when reading fantasy (I'm typically worried about reading books with maps; they always seem to be poorly thought out with random points on a piece of paper, each with a specific environment found nowhere else in that world) Great stuff overall, and I just bought #2 on the Kindle.

Sean Mayer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2011 at 11:24am | IP Logged | 16  

Ryan, just wait!  Clash of Kings is gonna blow your mind!

I'm rereading the series (halfway thru Feast for Crows now) in anticipation (long, long awaited) of the July release of the 5th book.

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2011 at 2:47pm | IP Logged | 17  

Yeah, if you like Tyrion, you're gonna love books two and three (and HATE book four because he wasn't in it - but he's back for book five, which YOU won't have to wait five years for, ya lucky bastard!).

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2011 at 4:17am | IP Logged | 18  

I'm about a quarter into A Storm of Swords and I am praying that the series lasts long enough to deal with this book.  I just gotta SEE the citizens who dwell on the other side of The Wall come to life!

My daughter asked me to describe A Game of Thrones to her.  The best I could come up with was Lord of the Rings meets The Sopranos.

At the time it made sense.....

Brian Burnham
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2011 at 3:46pm | IP Logged | 19  

Never having read the books, I am enjoying the HBO series immensely.  I ordered the 4 books in a collection from Amazon for slightly less than $20.  The only problem is deciding if I want to read them now and spoil the future seasons or not.  I like not knowing what is coming.  It's a dilemma but a nice one to have.

William Roberge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2011 at 4:47pm | IP Logged | 20  

Ryan said it all for me......I'm starting book two this weekend.

Back to Top profile | search | www | email

Marcel Chenier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2011 at 5:20pm | IP Logged | 21  

My wife and I are loving this series!  We'll be picking up a couple of Kindles along with the series this weekend.  Looking forward to getting into the details the books have to offer.

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2011 at 9:27pm | IP Logged | 22  

Brian, for what it's worth I've read all the books and I am still enjoying the hell out of the series.  Obviously I don't know how it would feel to be in your shoes, but I can tell you that I feel great on THIS side of your situation.

I'm gotten a friend at work and her fiance into the books.  I feel like Johnny Appleseed!

Brian Burnham
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2011 at 4:12pm | IP Logged | 23  

Thanks Kevin.  I'll most likely wait to the end of this season and then read them.

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2011 at 1:25am | IP Logged | 24  

So, what did you fine folks think of Lord Tywin Lannister?  I think Charles Dance has fleshed him out well (the scene with Jamie is nowhere in the books) and I look forward to his interactions with Tyrion.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2011 at 5:54am | IP Logged | 25  

I've come to hate all Lannisters except for Tyrion.  

The actor playing Tywin did an amazing job with his lines while skinning that deer.  Scenes like that make the show stand on its on against the books.  

And speaking of the books.....I'm about done with A Sword of Storms.  Just a few chapters left.  The Red Wedding?  WOW!  I have never wanted to take up a sword to defend old 'friends' so badly in my life!!!  The series has really captivated me.  I am sure now who I am rooting for to emerge victorious for the Iron Throne but I have a feeling Mr. Martin isn't planning on a nice tidy ending to his saga.

Edited by David Allen Perrin on 30 May 2011 at 5:55am

<< Prev Page of 16 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version