Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 152 Next >>
Topic: DC Relaunch Discussion Thread (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2011 at 7:20pm | IP Logged | 1  

Someone needs to bitch-slap Jim Lee with a DC style guide
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2011 at 7:23pm | IP Logged | 2  

I like the idea of Cyborg in the JLA. Been wanting to see it since the SUPER POWERS show in the 80s!

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2011 at 7:24pm | IP Logged | 3  

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=32566

Second story about this.

The thing is, everybody and their mother outside of DC Comics is saying DC Comics needs to stop pandering to 40 yr old perverts and start garnering new readership.

But whenever someone says "New Readership" to DC or Marvel, all the corp-heads hear is "We need more adult readers drawn to comics."

What the f*ck is wrong with these people? Your new readers are f*cking kids. Kids will read comics, just like they'll read Harry Potter and LOTR and Twilight and anything else that appeals to them. And you appeal to kids who read by giving them something to read, like a story, with sh*t happening, with action, with chases and boogeymen and a little bit of the old lovey-dovey with some mostly-unattainable girl. You never give them what they want, and they want it. That's how I grew up reading comics. And right around the time I realized I was getting what I thought I wanted, was the first time I ditched comics as a teenager.

If DC and Marvel were actual publishing companies, they'd understand one concept immediately: kids will read if you give them something they want to read. And if you produced comics that kids could identify with, instead of what a bunch of douchebag adults like us can identify with, then you'd be selling way more than 80,000 f*cking Justice League books.

But who the hell is listening up there? The only reason I'm angry about any of this is because I think comic books represent yet another important cultural medium, like music and movies, that was ruined by corporate greed.

Everything sucks. Badly. Writers don't know a story from their a**hole. Artists are hacks who have never studied an anatomy book in their life. Collectively they think in hubris terms: No one has ever thought of this before. And of course someone thought of it before. And did it better, you self-important pr*ck.

Comic books about superheroes are an embarrassment. Not just as a genre within a medium, I mean they reveal "creators" to be sophomoric, trite, self-congratulatory mutual c-suckers. This reveal that a vast amount of good writers and good artists are not allowed into their frat house. This isn't about what artists/writers are not allowed to do, as was the case in the 1960s-1970s-1980s. This is about what they can't stop themselves from doing.

Back to Top profile | search

Craig Ashforth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2011 at 7:32pm | IP Logged | 4  

I just wish they'd stop concentrating on 'events' and year-long story arcs and just write good superhero stories involving the characters within the universe instead of having to redefine said universe around the characters every year or so. 

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2011 at 7:35pm | IP Logged | 5  

QUOTE:
I'll go case-by-case on the books and see what sounds interesting to me.

Tim is wise.

Kirk Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2011 at 7:40pm | IP Logged | 6  

I don't know if it's been mentioned here yet (I didn't see it) but it's been brought up that this is happening simultaneously with DC releasing new comics digitally.

So obviously this makes perfect sense now - they want a clean slate for potentially new online readers.

Joe S. Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2011 at 7:45pm | IP Logged | 7  

I think it can be taken for granted that within a year or two previous continuity will be reinstated, costume redesigns will be dropped, and books will revert to their old numbering. The interesting question is whether it'll happen piecemeal or all at once. Could be a new DC Implosion...

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2011 at 7:55pm | IP Logged | 8  

According to the letter to retailers from DC:
 QUOTE:
Over 50 new costumes will debut in September, many updated and designed by artist Jim Lee

So Jim Lee's not redesigning all of DC's characters. I'm interested to see who else is redesigning the costumes and which characters they're paired with.

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2011 at 8:01pm | IP Logged | 9  

In that promo piece above I noticed a few things that confuse my brain.
I don't see a power ring on Green Lantern's finger.
Superman's 'S' is wwaaaay off-model.
Cyborg is the ONLY cheerful looking one. Which is weird because Victor Stone was never a cheerful character.
Wonder Woman's new new costume sucks.

Craig Ashforth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2011 at 8:18pm | IP Logged | 10  

Would Superman's new collar not make it more difficult for Clark to hide the costume under his civvies? Or will he wear a polo/turtleneck sweater?

David Kingsley Kingsley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2011 at 8:26pm | IP Logged | 11  

As someone who usually finds Jim Lee's art serviceable, I must say that the posted illustration does not inspire much confidence. The 'V' collars will be dated by the time that this sees print and the chin pads would have been dated fifteen years ago.

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2011 at 8:32pm | IP Logged | 12  

I like this guy's reaction.

http://www.comicrelated.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10680

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 152 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version