Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: The Two Franks - Sad Anniversaries (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2011 at 12:59am | IP Logged | 1  

The odd page layouts were one of the reasons that the Hawk book reprints stopped where they did. At one point the panels were read across two pages meaning that they would have to be printed that way, with possible gutter loss, or printed and read sideways on the page.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Paul Lloyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2011 at 3:05am | IP Logged | 2  

I've just started buying the Titan Dan Dare editions. The art is amazing. I'd also recommend taking a look at the Bellamy Thunderbirds art in the Reynolds and Hearn "Century 21" collections. 

Hampson did draw Spider-man for Marvel, once, as a center-spread in Marvel UK's The Titans weekly:

(edited because I got my Franks mixed up.) 

Edited by Paul Lloyd on 09 July 2011 at 3:08am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2011 at 3:11am | IP Logged | 3  

A couple of years ago I read the volumes available in Norwich library and stayed far longer than I intended, sheer joy.

I think it's about time I paid for the privilege!

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 July 2011 at 8:01am | IP Logged | 4  

Hampson did draw Spider-man for Marvel, once, as a center-spread in Marvel UK's The Titans weekly:

••

Hadn't seen that before.

Wish very much that I still hadn't!!

Back to Top profile | search

William Roberge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2011 at 8:32am | IP Logged | 5  

Some 11 year old did a nice job on Col. Dare

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 July 2011 at 9:43am | IP Logged | 6  

"... Calling Controller, Spacefleet H.Q. - 'SPA-ONE' Calling Controller..."

••

Here Bill quotes the opening lines from what I have noted is perhaps my favorite DAN DARE story, PROJECT NIMBUS.

More scrumptious art by Bellamy:

This was the page on which Hamson fans, many of whom had not been happy with Bellamy taking over the strip, now got the second Frank in full force. The editors had instructed Bellamy to "update" DARE -- Hampson's Space Fleet had been very much modeled on the RAF of World War 2 -- and he took them at their word. On this page we saw the new uniform tunics, for instance, no longer looking like they would have been quite at home on an airfield during the Battle of Britain. SPA-1 was a far cry from Hampson's school of space tech, too.

Notice also the redesigned SF badges, on Dan's cap in the title blurb, and on the shoulder flash of the jackets (seen also in my drawing, above). Look familiar?

Curiously, when Bellamy departed the ships and uniforms and other such designs began morphing back to the Hampson models -- most likely because it was Hampson's studio (minus Hampson) that took on the art chores.

The following page includes a short sequence leading to the weekly cliffhanger that was one of the most chilling I had read in a comic up to that point. Not much since has done much to eclipse it, either! People who feel they need to "write down" in order to write "for kids" should look at some of this EAGLE stuff!!

David Ferguson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2011 at 1:18pm | IP Logged | 7  

That art is a cut above. I've mentioned before that Dan Dare annuals were among my first comic book experiences. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 July 2011 at 5:35pm | IP Logged | 8  

Some more Bellamy DAN DARE, also from the TERRA NOVA storyline, in this case the second part, TRIP TO TROUBLE.

It was work like this that first got me thinking sound effects might be superfluous!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 July 2011 at 5:40pm | IP Logged | 9  

And here's a sample of the team of Don Harley and Bruce Cornwell, who followed Bellamy and brought the strip back to more familiar territory, having been members of Hampson's studio.

The green chaps are Treens, native to Venus. (In Dan Dare's reality, pretty much all the planets of the solar system seem to have intelligent life.)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 July 2011 at 5:45pm | IP Logged | 10  

And to somewhat round out the "set", here's some of the black and white work done on the strip by Keith Watson, also a former member of the Hampson studio.

Not up to the levels of Hampson and Bellamy, or Harley & Cornwell, but I'd still donate vital body parts in exchange for being anywhere near as good!

(I have tried many times to draw aliens and creatures with eyes like the character seen in the first panel of the second row, above -- and virtually every time the colorists have turned them into big goggle eyes!)

CJ Grebb
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2011 at 2:45pm | IP Logged | 11  

JB,

If the opportunity arose, do you think you have an epic sci-fi space-opera inside you? 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 July 2011 at 2:53pm | IP Logged | 12  

If the opportunity arose, do you think you have an epic sci-fi space-opera inside you?

••

Several. In fact, Chris Ryall and I have been talking about a possible "companion piece" for COLD WAR, if that one flies.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version