Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 16 Next >>
Topic: New Spider-Man & Marvel Movie Rights (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2011 at 6:37am | IP Logged | 1  

I'm apparently behind the times, but there is a new Spider-Man debuting in the Ultimate Universe this week.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/comics/2011-08-01-black-spider- man_n.htm

While I think more diversity is great in comics (although I really dislike Ultimates), I have to wonder if this has any influence in Marvel Movie Universe plans.  As I understand it, Sony has the movie rights to Spider-Man tied up, so no Spider-Man in any sort of New Avengers spinoff (you know that's coming when RD jr. gets tired of playing Stark). 

Could this new Spider-Man be fair game for their movie continuity, or does Sony have a stranglehold on any species of Spider-Man iconography, etc?

Edited by Craig Robinson on 02 August 2011 at 6:46am
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2011 at 6:44am | IP Logged | 2  

Marvel has just gone flipping NUTS!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Kirk Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2011 at 6:51am | IP Logged | 3  

Could this new Spider-Man be fair game for their movie continuity, or does Sony have a stranglehold on any species of Spider-Man iconography, etc?

My hunch would be that even if Marvel put a new guy in the suit, so long as he's called "Spider-Man" they can't use him in their films while the Sony contract is in place. 

I would also imagine that Sony also has rights to all Spider-Man related properties, such as his rogues gallery, his supporting cast, and anything else associated with the character.

Kirk Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2011 at 6:53am | IP Logged | 4  

Oh, and regarding the "new" Spider-Man...

Boy, it REALLY didn't take very long for Marvel to royally screw up a hot property, did it?

Craig Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2011 at 7:29am | IP Logged | 5  

I think also read somewhere (IGN maybe) that Sony relinquished TV rights back to Marvel?  Is this the first sign of what may eventually become a Donald Glover Spider-Man TV show?

IGN is work blocked, but here is a link to the TV rights story. 

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/comics/news/a175597/sony-relinqu ishes-spider-man-tv-rights.html

Edited by Craig Robinson on 02 August 2011 at 7:31am

Kirk Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2011 at 7:43am | IP Logged | 6  

Is this the first sign of what may eventually become a Donald Glover Spider-Man TV show?

I think it has more to do with the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon set to debut next year than a live-action TV show. 

JT Molloy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2011 at 10:22am | IP Logged | 7  

I'm sorry, but until they introduce a Spider-Man who is of Irish descent, has a light complexion, green eyes, reddish blonde hair and is an artist, I simply cannot relate to the character.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 August 2011 at 10:31am | IP Logged | 8  

More creative bankruptcy. Remember the Black Panther? Remember Luke Cage?

Somewhere along the line -- and, sadly, it's not recent -- Black characters at Marvel suddenly were only allowed if they adopted the names of existing characters. Iron Man. Captain Marvel. Giant-Man (who'd begun with the staggeringly original name "Black Goliath"). Nick Fury. Now, a Black Spider-Man.

I'll admit to having created only a handful of Black characters, but at least NONE of them were forced to follow in some White guy's footsteps.

Aren't Black audiences weary yet of this modern-day Minstrel Show?

Corey Morgan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2011 at 10:54am | IP Logged | 9  

Quite a few of us are weary of this, JB (I now have this hilarious image of JB standing here with his fist in the air;).  And if asked, would rather that a new black character (or for that matter, any of the previously existing ones) be allowed to flourish on his/her own merits (and that of the folks writing them), rather than latching onto the coattails of a previous character (whether white, black, yellow, green, etc) for legitimacy. 

A comic book character being something other than white shouldn't be a 'gimmick'. (and thereby validating the belief that "caucasian" is the default race in comics) And M***** should try trusting that people aren't going to run from a character that isn't white or otherwise connected with a previously existing white character. 

Edited by Corey Morgan on 02 August 2011 at 10:57am

Juan Jose Colin Arciniega
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2011 at 11:03am | IP Logged | 10  

I don't believe that changing a character in order to be "politically correct" is the right approach...how long until we get a "Black Superman"?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Peter Svensson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2011 at 11:06am | IP Logged | 11  

The big issue is that comics featuring new characters don't sell well in today's market, which is mainly nostalgia driven. So if DC and Marvel want to make their lines more diverse so that they better reflect the real world, they're pretty much forced to introduce legacy and replacement characters who readers will try because they're familiar brands rather than new characters. It's a really terrible situation, and reflective of the awful state that the industry is in, but I can't blame them. The market is saturated with superhero books so that adding new ones is effectively impossible. If you're buying Batman and Superman and Flash, you have little incentive to also try NEW UNTESTED HERO! (Who happens to be a minority.)

That the tiny amount of new characters who have managed to retain some degree of footholding in the comic industry is slim, and yet the majority of them are white disappoints me. Witchblade? White woman. Deadpool? White man. Invincible? White man. Because most comic creators in this industry are straight middle-class white men, when left to their own devices they tend to create straight middle-class white men as their lead characters.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Paul Anthony Llossas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2011 at 11:26am | IP Logged | 12  

"I don't believe that changing a character in order to be "politically correct" is the right approach...how long until we get a 'Black Superman'?"

One appeared at the end of "Final Crisis".

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Page of 16 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version