Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 16 Next >>
Topic: New Spider-Man & Marvel Movie Rights (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2011 at 1:11pm | IP Logged | 1  

He's not a Silver Age character. He's a modern retcon (2003), and exactly what I'm complaining about: shoehorning a Black character into an existing White character's role, rather than coming up with something actually NEW.

But somehow I suspect you know that.

Speaking of the character Isaiah Bradley, I rcall Priest saying that when he was putting together the comic called The Crew for Marvel, he created an original black character called Joshua X with no connection to any other Marve character, but Marvel (specifically Quesada and Jemas) asked him to make that new character the son of Isaiah Bradley. So we now have a case of a stand alone new black character with his own stand alone origin now being tied to an existing character at the request of the editors.

Back to Top profile | search

Jason Larouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2011 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 2  

It's funny how in the last 10 years Marvel has taken the approach of writing all their big storyline ideas on the basis of whether or not they will get covered by USA today.

Corey Morgan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2011 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 3  

I remember reading The Crew and was wondering why Joshua X couldn't just be any new black character, but had to be tied into Isaiah Bradley.  Not every character (of any race) HAS to be connected to someone else does he?

I think additional stories about Isaiah Bradley would have been great, especially since a black superhero during the 40s and 50s would have had to deal with issues not just pertaining to hitting badguys.  Unfortunately, the powers that be simply stuck him in prison after the war, which was definitely taking the easy way out, in my opinion.

Stuart Vandal
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2011 at 1:22pm | IP Logged | 4  

"Then again, we could get into the fact that even though continuity wise, Isaiah Bradley came before Steve Rogers"

A small correction. Isaiah doesn't come before Steve, continuity wise. Steve was already active as Cap in the Invaders by the end of 1941 (that team came together in the days following Pearl Harbor). Isaiah didn't enlist until after Pearl Harbor. The Truth was intended as a What If? type story set outside regular Marvel continuity. However, once the decision was made to bring it into regular continuity, The Truth's own established timeline made Isaiah part of an experiment to recreate the lost formula, rather than a prototype for Steve.

Corey Morgan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2011 at 1:30pm | IP Logged | 5  

Correction noted.  And with that, most of my outlook on the character changes, because Retcon or not (or is it really a retcon, as they didn't necessarily change continuity, as they just shoehorned some additional stuff in there), it is indeed an example of attaching the name of a white character to a black one to give him legitimacy.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2011 at 1:31pm | IP Logged | 6  

Then again, we could get into the fact that even though continuity wise, Isaiah Bradley came before Steve Rogers, he was still the BLACK Captain America (or that his son patterned his costumed persona after Bucky).

-----

In the end, it was clarified that Isaiah Bradley was part of an experiment to recreate the Super-Soldier Serum after Erskine's death. So he was still second banana.

Speaking of Patriot, I really like the character, but his origin is ridiculous. He appears, claiming that he received his powers from a blood transfusion from his grandfather. But it turns out he was lying and was using illegal drugs to fake his powers. Then he comes clean, gets injured, gets a blood transfusion from his grandfather, and ends up with the same powers that he was faking through the scenario he originally lied about. Contrived.

Paul Simpson Simpson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2011 at 1:33pm | IP Logged | 7  

Never under estimate white guilt. I can hear the cries in the halls of Marvel now " I made Spider-Man black. See how sensitive and tolerant I am."

I totally agree with JB. Why not create a valid black character. I showed this news story to my friends Clay and Dominique. They both said basically the same thing..."That's fucking stupid."

Jason Larouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2011 at 1:35pm | IP Logged | 8  

I like how they threw in half Hispanic too. Black characters must not hit enough demographics.

Corey Morgan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2011 at 2:30pm | IP Logged | 9  

Right.  And speaking of half black/half hispanic, we can't forget that there's a new Power Man out too.  Fits the exact same discussion we've been having.

Brian Joseph Mayer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2011 at 2:37pm | IP Logged | 10  

I don't mind the idea. Peter is still there in Amazing, and Avengers, and New Avenegers, and FF, and however many other books that will come out that month featuring Spider-Man.

Ultimate is another universe. They definitely made that clear when they killed off Wolverine. Its a chance to play and experiment. Spider-Man was the everyman character for the basic comic reader, in either universe. This is an interesting chance to test that concept. There are have been racially diverse heroes, but audiences have left them as B or C listers at best. I am curious and interested how time will treat diversifying a A list hero with an already built in audience.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2011 at 2:44pm | IP Logged | 11  

I wish DC would do something good with the (original look) Amazing Man.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2011 at 2:49pm | IP Logged | 12  

Anyone else feel their spider-sense tingling that this news story could, in fact, turn against Marvel in a big way if the general public realizes the new Spider-Man isn't the "real" one and just exists in an alternate reality? 

"Look, Spider-Man's black now! But wait, he's still white in the movies, the cartoons, and 95% of other comics. What's that? He's only black in a separate universe? Is that like a separate but equal separate universe? Well, I appear to have travelled back in time to 1960! How great for me!"
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 16 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version