Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Moebius on Lettering (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 August 2011 at 3:31pm | IP Logged | 1  

I enjoyed your lettering the most on WW, once you started doing captions with little hands pointing fingers.

Now, THAT´S comics!

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 August 2011 at 3:36pm | IP Logged | 2  

As I recall, the font I used on WONDER WOMAN was the one I made based on Jack Morelli's lettering. He asked me what I would charge to make a font for him, and I said "I get to use it."

For most of the fonts I created, I would scan some lettering I liked from a comic or strip and build a font out of it, adding little modifications to make it "mine". In the beginning, I was not sure this was entirely ethical, so I didn't use any of the fonts. Making them was mostly to develop my skill in, well, making them!

Then a little history research revealed what I was doing was basically how fonts have been created since Day Two. Take an existing style, and modify it. Looking at the vast sea of professional fonts available, I sometimes could not even find the difference that qualified as a new font!

Anyway, history eased my conscience, and I started using the fonts I had made more liberally.

Back to Top profile | search

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version