Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Dr. Who
Byrne Robotics > Dr. Who Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: The Wedding of River Song ( Spoilers ) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2011 at 3:58pm | IP Logged | 1  

Brilliant ! I won't give anything away here, aside of saying - developments mean there is more to come beyond the end of this season ....
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Lee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2011 at 5:24pm | IP Logged | 2  

Great episode. Certainly more to come. I have a feeling we won't get the end to this story until the 50th anniversary season.

I think I was first on this board to suggest the use of [redacted] as a solution to [also redacted]. It's nice for my speculations to be proven right for once

Edited by Michael Lee on 01 October 2011 at 5:25pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Stuart Vandal
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2011 at 5:52pm | IP Logged | 3  

It's not really important, but you weren't the first to suspect that. I'd refer you to my post on 30th August in the Let's Kill Hitler thread.

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 01 October 2011 at 8:20pm | IP Logged | 4  

A cascade of Neat Bits that did not add up to a story. Too many cheats, too many dodges.

More than ever I am convinced Moffat did not have the end worked out when he wrote the beginning. In a way, I was reminded of the X-MEN days, with Chris. Chris would come up with "a great bit" (A mysterious astronaut rises from a lake and kills the Doctor!) and I would say "But then what?"

I have the feeling Moffat has no one asking that question.

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2011 at 8:53pm | IP Logged | 5  

Well, I knew the deliberate and convenient staging of the situation (the abandoned boat, the gasoline) meant he was probably staging an illusion, and with the way he used the Tesselecta, he was sort of playing fair by actually being there himself.

I do think that Moffat knew his out at the beginning, though. The burning did, after all, serve the dual function of "selling the bit" and removing the evidence that it was a "bit".

The "hole" that is left seems to be "the fall of the 11th" and "the question" which is probably being spaced out to coincide with the 50th and possibly a new Doctor. Tennant got 3 seasons + specials (I'd say 4 seasons, but that's not how they count them), and that seems to be about average for the Doctors. 3-4 seasons would bring Matt Smith right up to the anniversary and it might be that we'll see a new Doctor then.

Not that I want Matt Smith gone, he's my favourite Doctor and I think he's got a lot of mileage left, but it's a big chunk of career for a young actor and he's bound to get offers.

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2011 at 9:55pm | IP Logged | 6  

If you go by Tennant's statements, he left the show because he didn't
ever want the Doctor to get stale to him and feel like work. He
wanted to leave liking the role. But it seemed like he could have
stayed on with the show beyond 3 seasons.

As far as this show goes, I think the temporal elements of the show
were effecting my TV. It was jumping, pausing and blacked out bits.
I'm DVRing a later showing to see if I can get a cleaner copy.

John Harrison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 October 2011 at 12:10am | IP Logged | 7  

Fairly predictable .. i'm starting get a Lost vibe.. while I enjoy the show it seems fairly let's just pull something out of the hat solutions..

James Revilla
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 October 2011 at 1:02am | IP Logged | 8  

I loved everything but the cheat on the death. If him dying was a fixed
point and by her not killing him caused fine to rupture...the fact
remains she didn't kill him just a robot. Not quite the paradox I
expected.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 October 2011 at 1:15am | IP Logged | 9  

I`m sure that in another universe those Eye Drives would be called...Eye-pads!

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 October 2011 at 1:15am | IP Logged | 10  

The only fixed temporal event was River/Melody attempting to and appearing to kill him. I thought it was kind of dumb and I hope that the "quiet doctor" premise doesn't turn into "Batman is just an urban legend".

Also, the the whole thing with the companions being present seems either very sadistic or downright sociopathic though I suppose they are part of the fixed point in time nonsense.

Honestly I'm a little surprised that they didn't show the "vortex of time" shuddering or raging or developing gaps or something.

I think even fixed time versus "meh, screw it " time is probably a bad idea unless it is whimsically introduced and then mocked and laughed at shortly thereafter to keep things whimsical. Dr Who is about good tasting sausage not the means and process of how the sausage is made. 

Also if "Doctor Who?" was REALLY the first question then probably it is a fact that  should be hidden in the closet in a hatbox under some quilts so that it doesn't become "important" to people who want Dr Who to make sense over the long haul. 

I dunno. I'm probably not going to remember the 6th season very fondly the way I did the first, second, most of the third, the specials, and the fifth. Oh and I sort of liked the Donna episode where the doctor take a tour of a canyon of crystal planet by himself and has to deal with a strange monster that enters the tour vehicle, and it pretty much licks him until the stewardess throws the thing out at the cost of her own life.

Edited by Emery Calame on 02 October 2011 at 1:35am

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 October 2011 at 1:22am | IP Logged | 11  

The Doctor being perceived as having died, was the fixed point in time. It was always the Tesselecta by the lake, operated by the Doctor. The Doctor set that up in the first five minutes of the episode.

The "universe" doesn't care what happens in the fixed point, all that matters are the consequences of it. Namely the universal belief that the Doctor has died/will die there. Any future adventure may be chalked down to time-travel.

Yes, it's all timey-wimey and argle-bargle, but we all knew the Doctor would get out of it, and I think they did a good job of not making it easy. (That is, the Doctor's plan was quite simple and straight-forward, but making his friends stop trying to save him was hard)

Colin Fawcett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 October 2011 at 2:47am | IP Logged | 12  

Loved it. 

There was a cool River's eye view of events shown last night :

Spoilers obviously

Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version