Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 14 Next >>
Topic: Q for JB - JLA Avengers (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2011 at 5:20pm | IP Logged | 1  

This series, much like Next Men and the recent Games graphic novel,
fulfilled the promises of youth for me, and it was absolutely beautiful.
Much like Watchmen before it, the simple beauty of the art more than
atones for the shortcomings of the story.

I'm glad it was published, I'm glad I bought it and read it when it came
out, and I'm pleased to own the absolute edition. I only own two. The
other? Watchmen :-)
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 October 2011 at 5:27pm | IP Logged | 2  

I think it would have been better served with a smaller cast and a more concise story. Keep it simple is my motto.

••

I was thinking about this earlier. Thru the magic of hindsight, I'd probably have used the original Avengers and the original JLA, set in a non-specific time period. Have the JLA go to New York to check out the Avengers, since the latter group has a dangerous monster -- the Hulk -- as one of their "members".

Sure, some fans would have been ticked off that the book wasn't about the most current members, or, more likely, every single member -- but a wise man once said you can't please everybody!

Back to Top profile | search

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2011 at 5:29pm | IP Logged | 3  

Ted - only two Absolutes? Man, I'm addicted to those things! I wish I had that kind of restraint! 

That having been said, I'm grateful to the world that produced JLA/Avengers in just such a format, purely for the beauty of the artwork therein! I've got my copy signed by Busiek, and I look forward to the day when I can add Perez' name (and maybe a head sketch) to it!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 October 2011 at 5:32pm | IP Logged | 4  

I look forward to the day when I can add Perez' name (and maybe a head sketch) to it!

••

On behalf of artists everywhere, may I suggest you don't ask for that sketch. Let George offer, or let it pass.

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2011 at 5:47pm | IP Logged | 5  

My copy is not signed, Brad, but George and Kurt have signed my
three Avengers oversized hard covers.

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2011 at 5:54pm | IP Logged | 6  

Exasperating book.

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2011 at 6:30pm | IP Logged | 7  

On behalf of artists everywhere, may I suggest you don't ask for that sketch. Let George offer, or let it pass.

---

I wouldn't dream of asking such a thing, JB, but I appreciate the reminder. 

The only headsketches I've got so far are one by Joe Rubenstein of the Ted Kord Blue Beetle in a Justice League book, and one of Morpheus in a Sandman Absolute by Neil Gaiman. Rubenstein signed the book then asked if I wanted a headsketch. I said "sure, how much?" and he said "just pick a character, I'll do it for you if you're willing to leave your book for few minutes while I finish a couple others up first." 

Gaiman just did it while signing. It was at a bookstore event and the staff had come through the line getting everyone to spell their name on a post-it and putting it on the page to be signed so it would go faster. I picked up a copy of The Graveyard Book to get signed for the friend who told me he was in town, and I took my Sandman Absolute vol.3 for me. He put my friend's name on a tombstone with some grass at the base and a moon and cloud in the sky, and then he signed my book and drew the Morpheus really quick. Totally wasn't expecting that! The 15 year old kid in front of me got his Batman book signed and Gaiman drew the batsignal for him and wrote "Bats-Wishes!" before signing. 

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2011 at 6:53pm | IP Logged | 8  

Thru the magic of hindsight, I'd probably have used the original Avengers
and the original JLA, set in a non-specific time period. Have the JLA go to
New York to check out the Avengers, since the latter group has a dangerous
monster -- the Hulk -- as one of their "members".

---

Aaaargh! Now that's a story I would have loved to read.

Pierre Villeneuve
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2011 at 8:56pm | IP Logged | 9  

"Bear in mind that the second Perez image above was NOT for the
JLA/Avengers that published this decade, it was a recreation of the aborted
1983 crossover cover, meaning not meant for publication. Also, it appears
to me that the recreation was drawn at a smaller dimension than the
original. I wouldn't be looking at the quality of the second work too harshly. "

Vinny; I believe Perez did some recreation of that piece. But the second image posted is from the JLA/Avengers issue #3 page 12. ;)

Dan James; I am green with envy. I HAVE to ask... How much did you pay for it?? (No you don't have to answer)

"In one thing I read, Kurt said he wrote this series as a farewell for fans
because NuMarvel was changing the way comics were being written. "

Kip Lewis; That does not surprise me in the least.... that is exactly how it felt reading the comics. Agreed... it was not perfect... but damn how it was fun. I had a similar feeling reading the New Teen titans; Games OGN lately.

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 22 October 2011 at 10:12pm | IP Logged | 10  

My biggest complaint about the series is that it felt so cluttered -- like Busiek couldn't decide which characters to use, which versions of the teams to go with, which previous story lines to ripoff pay homage to.  So he just went with everything.

Edited by Thom Price on 22 October 2011 at 10:12pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2011 at 10:36pm | IP Logged | 11  

I found the series to be a great deal of fun, in the sense that it WAS such an epic exercise in fan-think. So many conundrums, inside jokes, comparisions, etc... It's exactly was many fans would try to do themselves if given such a book to work on.

Overall, I found the characterizations to be solid, but the friction between the two continuums grew a bit thick sometimes, as each team perceived the other to be somehow intrinsically opposed to them, almost a take on Morrison's "Earth 2" novel that he did with Quitely.

All that being said, I would have preferred the single universe approach. What we got didn't rankle my nerves too much, but it was simply "more of the same" with the cosmic scale, the multiverses, the constant "reboots" altering the timeline...

It felt more "DC" because DC's stock-in-trade at the time this was published was again, through constant fan-think, exactly this sort of multiversal rigamorale... Parallel universes, counterparts upon counterparts, constants reboots and restarts rejiggering the timeline and altering everyone's memories and perceptions...

Using the parallel dimension trope to explain why the two teams had never met was really the easy way out for the writer. Making this their "first" encounter ever made it easy to play all of his long-held cards without acknowledging any of the other team-ups or having to come up with reasons for why the world's two premiere super-teams interact with one another so rarely.

Also, the plot begins to write itself once you show that there are two universes... Obviously, they must be in opposition... Perhaps in danger of colliding... The big gun villains in the two universes, perhaps they have plans dependent upon there being two worlds...

With that, the way into the story becomes the whole story.

In one of the rejiggered timelines shown in the book, the teams have always co-existed on the same Earth and are shown having a JLA/JSA style get-together aboard the satellite, trading quips and conversation as if they were all long-standing acquaintances rather than wary, hostile strangers bent on defending their home dimensions from odd-seeming alien invaders.

Oh, to have had the whole thing take place in that briefly-glimpsed reality...

Steve Horn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2011 at 11:47pm | IP Logged | 12  

JLA/Avengers is my favorite comic book story of all time.

<< Prev Page of 14 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version