Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: JB Classic Original Page Sells for $65,000 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2011 at 8:17pm | IP Logged | 1  

Knut, your auction con is an interesting notion and I'm sure it occurs.  However, in order to bid $101K on a $1K valued comic book or painting, you probably need to have someone bidding against you to drive up the price to that level.  Certainly there could be a shill plant artificially competing and helping to bid up the price, but it's not as simple as just the debtor jumping the bid from $1K to $101K to pay off his debt.  You need a third person complicit in the scheme to drive up the price more gradually and justify the exorbitant final bid.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Will Grief
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2011 at 12:30am | IP Logged | 2  

Hi all...coming out of lurk mode to add my 65,725 cents...

I was the underbidder on this page.

People tend to pigeonhole a person's motivations for doing something outside the norm...in this case bidding more than expected amount of money for a page of comic art.  Although I can't speak for my competitor who won the page, I had several reasons for bidding that high....but I don't think 'status' would be up on that list...as I'm sure most of you will attest to the fact that you've never even heard of me.  :) 

Although this is the penultimate page of the death of Phoenix...and not a splash and not a cover...for me that didn't matter...this page was the best page of the book, if not the whole run.  The emotion portrayed in her face in the 2nd and the last panels is unmatched....exhaustion, surprise, sadnesss, realization/revelation---then to fear, desperation and loss of self-control.  Without even reading the words...those two panels essentially tell the whole story of her descent. 

So for me it really wasn't so much status...nor a commodity to profit from.  Rather it's an awesome piece of artwork from the main title I collected as a kid...and I figured it was my only opportunity to ever buy it.

I have always wanted a page from 137...and this was the one page in 137 that I was willing to 'sell the farm' for...unfortunately my farm wasn't worth enough. :)  

BTW....I would not expect the prices of pages from your run on X-men to drop anytime soon...at least not until the people that collected the book when they were kids get older and die off in 40-50 years or so.  The collecting bug + a little nostalgia is a huge driving force for many people to empty their wallets (including myself!).  Later artists (or the latest 'hot' artist) will never carry the same nostalgic weight...

Thanks for reading!

-Will

Back to Top profile | search

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2011 at 1:33am | IP Logged | 3  

"Here's a way to test the true personal value of art: "

I know, the fact that prices in the original art market are highly subjective is my point.

Because in terms of "fine art considerations" such as age, historical importance, placement within a stylistic development phase, technical skill and contemporary popularity, size and complexity of artwork, the fact that the artist is dead etc. that may to some extent be labelled "objective", a series like Caniff's Terry and the Pirates, especially a Sunday page, would be considered a comics equivalent of a Rembrandt.

In assessing its intrinsic "value", one would suppose such a piece to be worth more than a recent, small and fairly simple, yet beautiful piece with no special significance by an artist who is still very much alive.

That is what makes a lot of the current original art pricing so evocative of the speculator boom of the '90s.

Everybody knows that there is a multitude of reasons why a copy of Action Comics 1 from 1938 is worth a lot of money. A lot of those are fairly objective, having to do with historical significance, scarcity et al.

While in the 90s, freshly published comics with a million copy print-run were being squeezed into the stratosphere in terms of price.

That's my point. Something like a Terry and the Pirates page is like a copy of Action Comics issue 1.

Though I don't object to the fact that deep-pocket collectors aren't clued in on this. It means that at some point I might afford one, too.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2011 at 4:45am | IP Logged | 4  

Will wrote: "...in this case bidding more than expected amount of money for a page of comic art.  Although I can't speak for my competitor who won the page, I had several reasons for bidding that high....but I don't think 'status' would be up on that list..."

And there you go...
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 18 November 2011 at 9:15am | IP Logged | 5  

Thank you for coming forward, Will G - I too think the Dark Phoenix saga is a significant story, and I think it even goes beyond nostalgia.  I was talking X-Men with a girl in her late twenties, and loved the Dark Phoenix saga.  She wasn't as familiar with JB's other work as she is more into the independent title, but X-Men is a title that crosses over many reading groups.  And JB is a key element in the X-Men's rise from obscure title that had been cancelled to one of the most popular books out there.

I honestly feel that the motivations that lead to high prices on comic book art are no different than any other piece of art.  There's no difference in my mind. 

I think buying original comic book art is a potent combination of two different forms of collecting - fine art collecting and movie prop collecting.  It's obviously artwork, but it dabbles in the movie prop world because it is that same sense of having something that was actually used in the process of making a legendary part of popular culture.  This is an actual production page.  I'm sure Steven Spielberg paid a king's ransom to have the "Citizen Kane" sled in his office, and nobody asks him why he paid so much for a hunk of wood with some metal bars slapped on the bottom.  And if you have an animation cel from a classic animated movie or TV show, people don't question the price. 

It's all original art.

Ivan Black
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2011 at 9:24am | IP Logged | 6  

You should get that amount for each and every page you draw JB! :-)

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2011 at 9:44am | IP Logged | 7  

Well, I get why you were bidding Will, but I still think you're nuts! Kidding aside, you could have a hell of a JB commission for a fraction of that price.

I mean, could you imagine have a 30"x40" montage commission of that story arc? That would be a great piece of art!

Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2011 at 9:47am | IP Logged | 8  

Thanks for the perspective, Will. You bring up some interesting points and make me wonder about my own comic art possessions. Will my children ever have the same fondness I have for these pieces? Being pragmatic about the fact it is only paper, pencil and ink with artistic license or viewing my works as investment never worked for me. I look at the art I have and get transported back to my youth, my ignorance and my enthusiasm. They are my own little time machines or "jig" enablers (thanks, Chief). I'm glad to know the page could have gone to a like minded individual and quite sad now that you lost the auction.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2011 at 9:59am | IP Logged | 9  

John Byrne wrote:
...When civilians find out I have a comicbook collection, their first questions are "What's the oldest comic you have?" and "What's the most valuable comic you have?" Not necessarily in that order...

Those are also the most common two questions I am asked by the civilians who pop up at my shop.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Craig Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2011 at 9:06pm | IP Logged | 10  

^ I get the "what's the most valuable comic?" a lot from co-workers when they discover I collect comics.  They are invaluable to me.  I do not intend do sell them.  It is a shared hobby with my son, and one of the really meaningful things I can pass onto him when my days are done.

I get "what's the oldest?" mostly from other collectors.  In my experience, that's most often the litmus question for the whose collection is better pissing contest (which I often lose).

I actually just double checked: my two oldest comics are Uncanny X-Men 172 and Green Lantern/Green Arrow 1, both apparently from 1983.

I've been meaning to pick up Talia al Ghul's first appearance in Detective, so that will win by a landslide, once I find it at a reasonable price.

Edited by Craig Robinson on 18 November 2011 at 9:24pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 November 2011 at 5:02am | IP Logged | 11  

… Talia al Ghul's first appearance…

••

Is that her name these days? Given that Kara become Kara Zoe-El I would not be surprised. But "Ra's al Ghul" is (or was) a title, not a name.

Imran Ahmed
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2011 at 8:29am | IP Logged | 12  

Having 3 Byrne covers from the 80's hanging on my wall is very cool to me and helps to justify why I have to work so bloody hard, so I can certainly understand why people are willing to spend large amounts on them.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version