Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: "Fine" art steals from comics...again (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2011 at 10:59am | IP Logged | 1  

http://www.scottedelman.com/2011/12/17/a-few-words-in-defens e-of-jack-kirby-sal-buscema-irv-novick-and-other-anonymized- artists/
Back to Top profile | search

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2011 at 11:13am | IP Logged | 2  

Lame.

Albert Holaso
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2011 at 11:22am | IP Logged | 3  

I actually wrote a comment on that...its awaiting moderation but here's a view of it...

I have drawn comicbooks for a number of years and I am formally educated with a degree in Fine Arts. I don’t find Sharon Moody’s work offensive. I could understand Scott’s perspective and I could see how all the commenters so far can mistake her presentation as stealing but you all are missing the point!

Sharon’s art is NOT in the line work. Its in the presentation of turning the page! She is making appropriate social commentary on the dying medium of comicbook pop culture with the advent of digital media. I applaud her work and to me as a former comicbook artist, it feels very sentimental!

Sharon’s point is obvious because I was once a traditional comicbook artist and now I work in digital entertainment. I miss the days of newsprint comics and I know comicbooks as an artform on paper WILL fade away.

Albert Holaso
Play Woodland Heroes on Facebook!http://apps.facebook.com/woodlandheroes

Stuart Vandal
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2011 at 11:23am | IP Logged | 4  

So, if I copy the Mona Lisa, for example, but picture it frame and all with a slight tilt on it, I can claim original art and sell it not as a reproduction but as my own unique creation? Heck, I know, I'll copy the "artist" who is selling all this comic reproduction as her unique work, but reverse the picture so it's back to front - tough if she complains, because it's clearly my totally original and not in the least derivative work.

That's what annoys me so much about this kind of thing - if these plagiarists copied "real" art and tried to pass it off as their own, they'd be run out of town. But it's okay to do it with comic art, because everyone knows comic artists are nobodies and the art isn't valuable until a "real" artist copies it and sticks it in a gallery.

/sarcasm mode. But not /utter disgust mode.

Albert Holaso
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2011 at 11:25am | IP Logged | 5  

ah...sorry about the previous post.  I cut and pasted from the original site and it took the display tags with it.  Here's another copy:

I have drawn comicbooks for a number of years and I am formally educated with a degree in Fine Arts. I don’t find Sharon Moody’s work offensive. I could understand Scott’s perspective and I could see how all the commenters so far can mistake her presentation as stealing but you all are missing the point!

Sharon’s art is NOT in the line work. Its in the presentation of turning the page! She is making appropriate social commentary on the dying medium of comicbook pop culture with the advent of digital media. I applaud her work and to me as a former comicbook artist, it feels very sentimental!

Sharon’s point is obvious because I was once a traditional comicbook artist and now I work in digital entertainment. I miss the days of newsprint comics and I know comicbooks as an artform on paper WILL fade away.

Albert Holaso
Play Woodland Heroes on Facebook!http://apps.facebook.com/woodlandheroes

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2011 at 11:28am | IP Logged | 6  

If she gives no mention or CREDIT to the ACTUAL artist, then she is a thief and a plagiarist.

Albert Holaso
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2011 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 7  

I agree that her work is derivative but not in a bad way and I don't know if she has but she should give proper credit to the original source. - And I'm fine with that.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 December 2011 at 11:35am | IP Logged | 8  

••

Goodbye.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 December 2011 at 11:37am | IP Logged | 9  

In literature there is a word for this kind of "work" -- PLAGIARISM.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2011 at 11:55am | IP Logged | 10  

`I am formally educated with a degree in Fine Arts`

Don`t you just hate it when people use supposed education to justify why their opinion is morally superior to yours! I have no qualifications in art,i just know that theft is theft no matter how you dress it up.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Valmor J. Pedretti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2011 at 12:52pm | IP Logged | 11  

Also, the fact that a format is not as popular as it once was by no means will mean that it'll be extinct that soon.

Vynil, although not as big as digital music, is still around. It turned from obsolete to an deluxe object.

So maybe printed comics will not have the big printing numbers they once had, but probably there'll be always people who love them enough to keep working on it.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 December 2011 at 1:13pm | IP Logged | 12  

Imagine if some "artist" got an old fashioned projector and a copy of some Disney movie made within the last thirty or forty years, and then set it up in a gallery, playing the movie against a blank wall, and saying it was a "comment" on how everything is going digital these days.

How long before Disney shut 'em down -- hard?

This kind of thing happens with comics only because of the extreme contempt most people have for the form. Comics are not "art", you know. When Roy Lichtenstein plagiarized Alex Toth, or Steve Ditko, or Jack Kirby, he was ELEVATING their pathetic creations.

FEH!!!

Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version