Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Kitty Pryde Model Sheet (1978) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2011 at 8:23am | IP Logged | 1  

Office politics, eh?  The things that kids aren't even aware of before they enter the work force...
Back to Top profile | search

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2011 at 9:44am | IP Logged | 2  

I have always thought the school idea is a little weird. It is as JB pointed out, they should be teachers, not students, because they are so great. Now I'll shut up.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2011 at 11:15am | IP Logged | 3  

Mr. Byrne, is it possible Shooter had an assistant who may have reminded him that YOU were the person who thought up the idea of a student group of X-Men?

When people's egos are huge they tend to have selective memory on important occasions.

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2011 at 12:06pm | IP Logged | 4  

Given the current popularity of youth fiction and books & movies of Harry Potter and the like, I think there could be some mileage out of the school idea, especially if it's made to feel like a real school, with structured classes (including "normal" classes in literature, math, history etc something that didn't seem to be taught at Hogwarts), various cliques and sub-groups and balancing school and teen-age concerns with super-heroic action. One of the things I think helped make the tv series Buffy fun and popular was how the action and adventure often worked as metaphors and vehicles for various teen-age angst.

One of the problems with various incarnations of New Mutants and such was how quickly they become yet another superhero group. The semblance of them being students going quickly by the wayside.

Love that pic and idea of Caliban BTW. Pity that's as far as he got.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2011 at 1:05pm | IP Logged | 5  

I really like the original concept of the New Mutants with them all being teens dealing with their powers, the pressures of school, teen angst and with the occasional guest appearance by members of the X-Men. Didn't really make sense that none wore masks. Not really the best way to hide their identities.

The New Mutants also did a good job of making us realise how experienced/expert the full team were.

Dan Avenell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2011 at 1:29pm | IP Logged | 6  

In the movies, with mutants so hated and feared, it seems a bit unlikely that there are dozens of young teens whose parents have trusted Xavier to take their kids away, no? And never told the authorities about it. Unless he 'persuaded' them with his mental powers. So about 5 -10 makes more sense.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 28 December 2011 at 1:58pm | IP Logged | 7  

It's interesting to meet younger female comic book readers who love Kitty.  I like that I was there at the beginning, and she has grown to be a female fan favorite.  Not a lot of young female characters that girls could identify with back then.

For me, Kitty is defined by the one/two punch of "Days of Futiure Past" and then soon after, JB's final issue - UNCANNY X-MEN #143 "Demon".  Two amazing stories!!

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2011 at 3:48pm | IP Logged | 8  

Dan, the second movie seem to run with the idea that parents neither
knew their kids were mutants nor what the school's real purpose was.
The parents just thought it was a special academy.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 December 2011 at 9:51pm | IP Logged | 9  

It's interesting to meet younger female comic book readers who love Kitty. I like that I was there at the beginning, and she has grown to be a female fan favorite. Not a lot of young female characters that girls could identify with back then.

••

Many female fans have thanked me for Kitty over the years -- tho, alas, the pleasure of this is somewhat muted by Chris having written the character so very differently from what I intended.

"An average teenage girl who suddenly finds herself with mutant powers."

That lasted precisely up to this scene in her first appearance:

With a single balloon, Chris demolished my "average" teen. sigh

Fritz Short
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2011 at 4:23am | IP Logged | 10  

The only other way school uniforms excite me,...but I digress...

The New Mutants and Alpha Flight coming individualy to print at similar times aside,were Beta/Gamma Flights already the New Mutants presented more effectivly?.Or did Chris just add "Flight" to Alpha and the other cadet teams were already in place waiting for"The Call" like graduating students of the School for the Gifted?

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 29 December 2011 at 10:25am | IP Logged | 11  

JB:  "One slightly amusing -- perhaps even bordering on ironic -- moment that came out of the birth of the New Mutants was Shooter calling me up one day to ask if I intended to 'make trouble' over this book. It seemed he actually remembered the idea had originally been mine, and wanted to know if I intended to make any 'claim' on the book -- like, for royalties, for instance.

I assured him that if Chris promised to make no 'claim' on ALPHA FLIGHT, which was also in launch mode at that time, I would make no 'claim' on NEW MUTANTS.

(Chris' only contribution to Alpha Flight, as some of you may recall, had been the name of the group.)"

I don't recall this story, so I am glad you posted this JB.  You really were integral to what became a major aspect to the future of the book after you left.

I like that you agreed to keep Alpha Flight in a "trade".  As readers, it was our first glimpse into how you would create fully original characters and stories.  It would only get better with NEXT MEN.

Robert LaGuardia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2011 at 10:55am | IP Logged | 12  

JB since both the names Ariel and Caliban are from The Tempest did
you envision a connection between the characters?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version