Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek
Topic: Enterprise Float in Rose Parade (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 December 2011 at 1:12pm | IP Logged | 1  

Even if it was the JJ Abrams nuVersion, I got to fulfill two longtime dreams this week, helping to decorate a Rose Bowl parade entry and that float turned to be the Starship Enterprise!

As this was Paramount's first foray into floats (the last Enterprise to appear was the NCC-1701D in 1992 to celebrate Star Trek's 25th anniversary but it was actually built by Nestle), the process was a bit disorganized, if congenial.  That's me under the saucer section above - my work on the Enterprise was a little hairy as I was standing / kneeling on two narrow, wobbly planks more than ten feet off the ground (it was higher than it looks in this picture).

It turns out the floats aren't only decorated with flowers... the rule is that the materials must just all be plant parts, which includes stems, leaves and seeds.  I was using almost entirely sweet uber white rice, gluing it with standard Elmers in small, painstakingly slow one inch sections at a time.

You can see the detail of the rice best in this picture of part of the left nacelle - the black section is actually onion seed, which is apparently one of the darkest, purest blacks to occur in plants, so it is popular on floats, if expensive to use.  The unfilled sections behind my head and to the right are where the NCC - 1701 later went (you can see the NCC part).  It is a somewhat slow, awkward process... I ruined my pants and shirt and needed to load up on Advil afterwards - but it was a true thrill to participate and I will always treasure the experience!

The ship (and the whole Paramount float, which features other familiar friends including a Transformer and the famous Bluhdorn gate from SUNSET BOULEVARD) will be part of the Rose Bowl parade this year starting at 8 a.m. PST on January second.

Edited by Rick Senger on 31 December 2011 at 3:45pm
Back to Top profile | search | email

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 December 2011 at 2:26pm | IP Logged | 2  

Congrats Rick!  Thanks for sharing!

Unfortunately, the Trek Movie link I posted in the Model thread said that they had confirmed with Paramount that it was going to be the TOS Enterprise...  Your photos say otherwise.  Bummer.

Edited by Bill Mimbu on 31 December 2011 at 2:27pm
Back to Top profile | search

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 December 2011 at 3:07pm | IP Logged | 3  

Bill- yes, it is the current movie version, definitely not TOS.  Seeing as Paramount invested many thousands of dollars at a minimum (some floats cost upwards of $500K to a million), I can understand why they'd want to market the current incarnation (and upcoming movie release) rather than the aesthetically superior original.

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 01 January 2012 at 11:39am | IP Logged | 4  

There's a gigantic humanoid monster attacking the Enterprise!  He's smothering it with flowers!!  Fire at will!!!  Fire at will!!!

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 January 2012 at 2:08pm | IP Logged | 5  

We did the tour of floats before the parade last year.  They are really something to behold, and the hundreds of volunteers working on just those couple dozen had a ton of work in front of them.  I plan on volunteering when I'm back down there next Christmas (my in-laws live down there and we do every other year in L.A.).

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version