Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: JBF Reading/Viewing Group: LAB RATS #1 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 January 2012 at 6:44am | IP Logged | 1  

The book that was killed by the internet. Trashed, savaged, shredded before the first issue had even come out. Retailers refusing to order it even for customers standing there with money in their hands.

May have been the worst book I have ever done -- but if so, very few people even got the chance to discover this for themselves. (And, curiously enough, those who actually read it seemed not to mind it too much.)

Back to Top profile | search

Jeff Priester
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2012 at 6:47am | IP Logged | 2  

I was bummed to find out the series was not continuing.

Those characters grew on me, especially Poe & Diana. I was also looking to learn more about Quinlan's background.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 January 2012 at 6:53am | IP Logged | 3  

…Diana…

••

Did you really read her name as "Diana"?

I gave the character the gender-neutral name "Dana" because I originally planned to keep her gender "secret". I'd grown very tired of fanboys complaining that muscular woman looked like men, or Superman with long hair looked "just like Wonder Woman". So I decided to mess with their heads a bit.

Ultimately, even before the first issue was started, I changed my mind. Just didn't seem worth the effort -- and messing with the heads of microbrains is way too fish-in-a-barrel. But I kept the name.

(I did have the small satisfaction of seeing some idiots complaining that they couldn't tell if Dana was male or female -- even tho I'd used female pronouns thru-out. Yes, comics are a "visual medium", but you're supposed to read the words,, too!)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 January 2012 at 6:57am | IP Logged | 4  

One of the things about which there was much complaint from the internet was the hairstyles of the characters. Each and every one I took from then-current "teen" magazines, but I was repeatedly informed they were "out of date".

Reminding me that the place to go for up-to-date fashion data is, of course, male comicbook fans.

(There was also much shrieking over the Alex character using "Dude". "Is this book supposed to be set in the '90s?" asked one griper. "NO ONE uses 'dude' any more!" Yet I could not turn on the TV without hearing it -- and Kevin Smith seemed incapable of speaking at all without using either "dude" or "fuck" every other word. Again -- comic fans are the ultimate arbiters of taste and style, right?)

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2012 at 7:58am | IP Logged | 5  

I liked Lab Rats, but I don't have much memory of specifics anymore.  Compared to Blood of the Demon or Doom Patrol it's the "worst" DC book you had in that era.  (My least favorite, that is.) I think my favorite aspect if Lab Rats is how you managed to make all the characters visually unique.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jeff Priester
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2012 at 9:37am | IP Logged | 6  

"Did you really read her name as "Diana"?"

Whoops, just a typo.

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2012 at 10:29am | IP Logged | 7  

I had no idea about the internet haters back then, it was just the new DC Byrne comic to me. I picked it up, enjoyed it and it was over quick. I remember thinking back then that it seemed odd to me that a Byrne comic would be canceled so soon, but I just chalked that up to not every comic is a homerun, no matter who you are. 

I didn't have internet until about 1999 or so. It took me a while to find the Byrne Forum and from there to branch out to other comic related sites. I just had no clue. I've since learned of the many negative sites, but I tend to stay away, I get tired of the constant negativity and ignorance real quick. People are proud to get banned, just seems an odd thing to hang your hat on.

John Leach
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2012 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 8  

I really liked this series, and was sorry to see it go.

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2012 at 10:58am | IP Logged | 9  

Page 21 illustrates something I first noticed in JB's art decades ago. Regardless of what group of characters he's working with, he can draw them in silhouette, and still make it immediately obvious who's who. That's a pretty rare skill.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 January 2012 at 11:04am | IP Logged | 10  

LAB RATS was a title that went thru a lot of incarnations, in my head, over several years. It began as my "answer" to TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES, with the heroes being actual laboratory rats with artificially enhanced intelligence. (This was long before PINKY AND THE BRAIN.). Then it became laboratory rats who had the intelligence of a team of humans somehow trapped inside them.

It went to sleep for a while after that, occasionally stirring, since I thought it was a good working title. Then I read some articles about runaways, and saw a new incarnation, a particularly "dark" one.

Unfortunately, since I cast my team with "real" teenagers, not the usual steroids 'n' silicone contrivances, I suppose it never really had much of a chance.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 21 January 2012 at 11:13am | IP Logged | 11  

Brad Brickley wrote:
I had no idea about the internet haters back then...

If you ever popped your head into the previous incarnation of this site on the old Magnus board, you would have read about as much hate and bile for this series as anywhere on the net.  It's one thing to say that a particular series isn't your cup o' tea, but it takes a "special" kind of person to post on the board of a creator about how much their work sucks.  Anonymity is such a wonderful thing...he said with sarcasm dialed up to 11.

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2012 at 11:55am | IP Logged | 12  

I have to wonder if some of its failure could be contributed to just lack of marketing on DC's part. I was buying quite a few comics at the time and I was completely unaware of this book coming out until I saw the first issue on the stands. Made me realize the companies really seemed out of touch with selling and marketing in order to grow business, thinking that just producing product will somehow lead people to find them.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version