Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Commissioned Artwork
Byrne Robotics > Commissioned Artwork << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: If I Had a Time Machine - 02.03.12 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 February 2012 at 10:27am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I laid out the piece in light pencil, then basically did the "finished pencils" with the gray tones. When they were done, I went in with the black pen.

++

That's very interesting to me, most of the artists I know would do the reverse. This certainly worked! Now I want to go pull out some markers and try it!

==

I imagine JB would have to do this to avoid the chance of smudging.

••

Yes, as I discovered long ago, black ink has a tendency to smear into colors or gray tones applied on top of it. Sometimes this can actually be used to advantage (I did it deliberately with some of the sewage in this piece, taking a second pass with the gray pen to smudge the black ink), but those occasions are rare.

And if it happens when you DON'T want it to. . .   OY!!

Also note that Wally Wood almost certainly drew the panel above this way, laying down the gray tones first, and then spotting the black holding lines as he deemed them necessary.

(One of the great frustrations of my career, to date, came when I convinced DC to let me use gray tones on OMAC. They agreed, conditional that they would also be able to publish a color version. Unfortunately, this meant that I had to draw the whole thing without tones, so stats could be shot, and then add the tones later. Which meant that I could not use the grays for holding lines, or volumes, since on the untoned pages there would then be no lines to hold the color. And then, of course, the editor LOST the stats!!!!!)

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 February 2012 at 10:29am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

While JB may cringe at his old work, its STILL some of the best work out there from that time period.

••

With this I would agree -- but only because Marvel was producing so much dross at that time.

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2012 at 10:35am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I think if there's a market for a Chris Claremont/Jim Lee series of Omnibus Editions, there must be a market for JB and Claremont's run.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 February 2012 at 10:39am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I think if there's a market for a Chris Claremont/Jim Lee series of Omnibus Editions, there must be a market for JB and Claremont's run.

••

The first part of Chris' and my run (108 thru 131) is in one of the X-MEN Omnibus editions, along with all of Dave's issues. Eventually, perhaps, they will get 'round to the rest.

If they can pause for a moment in their relentless reprinting of "Dark Phoenix", that is!!

Philippe Pinoli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2012 at 10:46am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I got this one Bob, seeing your avatar :)
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 February 2012 at 10:48am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

See why we need quotes from the posts being referenced?

Philippe Pinoli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2012 at 10:52am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Oups, understand why, I believed this was going straight below Bob Freeman's !!

By the way, Hi chief,

As far as I'm concerned, I would not offer you a Time Machine but if I could afford it...I'll have you redraw full X-Men 1-107 (the one before you)...you teased us so well in flashbacks...
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2012 at 11:27am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

If you were do something similar to Wood's panel, is there a type of scene that you think would work best?  To me, this approach seems like it would mainly work for more "simple" scenes and not the detailed pieces you like to draw.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 February 2012 at 11:40am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

If you were do something similar to Wood's panel, is there a type of scene that you think would work best? To me, this approach seems like it would mainly work for more "simple" scenes and not the detailed pieces you like to draw.

••

You cannot seriously be calling that Wood panel "simple"??

Joel Biske
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2012 at 11:44am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Yes, as I discovered long ago, black ink has a tendency to smear into colors or gray tones applied on top of it. Sometimes this can actually be used to advantage (I did it deliberately with some of the sewage in this piece, taking a second pass with the gray pen to smudge the black ink), but those occasions are rare.

Did you have this issue with the Duo Shade? I used to have more issues with the toner itself on the two shade boards, but I don't know that I ever had that problem wi h the ink running. I was using the Old Pelikan Yellow Label permanent ink. some of the newer ink/pens seem to use "permanent" rather liberally.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joel Biske
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2012 at 11:52am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

While JB may cringe at his old work, its STILL some of the best work out there from that time period.

••

With this I would agree -- but only because Marvel was producing so much dross at that time.

Well, yeah... but the work you were producing was still heads and tails above 90% of the industry at that time.... when I look back at the 70's-80's, I still have to go to the BIG names to find better. Even if you can look back at your old work and point out mistakes and show a progression like in this thread, that's what being one of the greats is.... being that much better than the rest of the pack.... you were, and you still are. 

Not really that different than successful musicians, sports figures (although there, there's the physical decline that shows up quicker)

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2012 at 1:53pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

And then, of course, the editor LOST the stats!!!!!
------------------------------------------------------------ -
DOH!!!

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version