Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: John Byrne Artist’s Edition (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2012 at 1:44pm | IP Logged | 1  

I've done some searches in the forum regarding IDW's Artist Edition line and, while I found references to various releases, I didn't find any comments directly from John Byrne regarding if he'd be open to such a project.  Has this subject been addressed in the past by him?

Given John's existing relationship with IDW, it would seem like a natural possibility.  That said, I've noticed over the years that John appears to sell off a lot of his art from a given project right away... so I'd suspect that there might be some complications with piecing together certain 'classic' story arcs?

The format really is fantastic and, despite the premium price, it would be a great way for the many Bryne art fans to see the raw work.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Paul Downey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2012 at 1:54pm | IP Logged | 2  

I would jump on a JB Artist Edition in a heartbeat!

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2012 at 2:52pm | IP Logged | 3  

Never mind.

Edited by Flavio Sapha on 28 February 2012 at 2:53pm
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 February 2012 at 3:17pm | IP Logged | 4  

One of these is unlikely, for my work, since the pages are long since scattered to the four corners of the Earth, and Terry Austin, who holds the largest single collection of such (from X-MEN) has no interest in releasing them for use by IDW.

And so it goes.

Brian Peck
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2012 at 3:39pm | IP Logged | 5  

If Terry was willing to let the pages for the Dark Phoenix story be used I am
pretty sure the remain pages could be tracked down for use. It is a pretty
tight knitted community of comic art collectors and while many of the pages
owners aren't known publicly, privately the pages could be found.

Edited by Brian Peck on 28 February 2012 at 3:40pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Thomas McMillian
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2012 at 4:53pm | IP Logged | 6  

Thanks for the quick answer!

One other option to consider:  For the upcoming "David Mazzucchelli's Daredevil Born Again: Artist's Edition," IDW is apparently using scans that Mr. Mazzucchelli had taken of the art prior to selling them (vs. IDW requesting to scan the art themselves).

Given that John's art appears to be scanned before sale (I make this assumption, based on the volumes of art posted on this site... not sure how far back scans go), perhaps giving the scanned files for a particular run to IDW would be an option?

From a business standpoint, I realize that there has been frequent self-deprecating remarks about John Byrne material not being as well-known in the current marketplace.  That said, I think that the case could be made that a "John Byrne Artist's Edition" book would sell as well, if not better, than Walter Simonson's recent "Thor" Artist's Edition (No disrespect to Mr. Simonson, of course... it's a great book).  The same could be said for "Born Again"'s popularity vs. particular John Byrne runs.

Of course, Marvel-related work might have a bigger audience than "Next Men" or other independent projects.  So far as I've heard, DC has refused to collaborate on any Artist's Editions.

Edited by Thomas McMillian on 28 February 2012 at 4:53pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 February 2012 at 5:12pm | IP Logged | 7  

If Terry was willing…

••

As I said. . . .

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2012 at 5:55pm | IP Logged | 8  

If they ever want to put together an Artist's Edition of, say, JACK KIRBY'S FOURTH WORLD #17 I'll provide scans of my pages!
 =0)

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2012 at 6:07pm | IP Logged | 9  

From a business standpoint, I realize that there has been frequent self-deprecating remarks about John Byrne material not being as well-known in the current marketplace. That said, I think that the case could be made that a "John Byrne Artist's Edition" book would sell as well, if not better, than Walter Simonson's recent "Thor" Artist's Edition (No disrespect to Mr. Simonson, of course... it's a great book). The same could be said for "Born Again"'s popularity vs. particular John Byrne runs.

-----

I think for the target market of these IDW Artist's Editions, all of these artists are well-known.

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2012 at 7:20pm | IP Logged | 10  

Speaking of just this yesterday with a chum.

I would not need an all-inclusive, complete story to spend the $.

Just show me the stuff we can find!

Plus, there are bound to be many whom WOULD oblige to a scanning of their collections.

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2012 at 9:33pm | IP Logged | 11  

Given the modern pages have no lettering (boo) I wonder how a newer series Artist's Edition would sell?  Or if that would impact sales at all? 

I've purchased all of them so far but one without lettering would really make me wonder about buying it.  

I'd love to see Namor by JB or any other number of series.  The Duo-Shade pages look amazing in black and white.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2012 at 10:55pm | IP Logged | 12  

I think it will be a while before any computer-lettered run of comics is deemed classic enough for inclusion in this line.  "Born Again" might be right around the cutoff point for what comic fans consider to be all-time classics.  

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version