Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Setting Sail (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2012 at 6:03pm | IP Logged | 1  

Always been fascinated by the Titanic sinking. I will be watching as many of the new shows as I can.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jean-Francois Joutel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2012 at 6:14pm | IP Logged | 2  

I'm waiting for the sequel:

TITANIC 2: THE RECKONING

Considering how much money  the original made, I can't believe it still hasn't been done.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 April 2012 at 7:02pm | IP Logged | 3  

As most of you know, I'd crossed the Atlantic three times by ocean liner before I was eight years old. One of those crossings was aboard RMS Queen Mary, which is actually longer and wider than the Titanic. A NIGHT TO REMEMBER was partly filmed aboard her.

Doubtless it is these childhood memories that give me such a visceral connection to the this sad moment in history. If I close my eyes, I can still "feel" what it was like aboard those ships. It's very sad in itself that the days of the great liners have passed. The floating hotels/theme parks that are modern cruise ships actually work very hard to negate the experience of being aboard a huge ship.

Back to Top profile | search

Michael Hatton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2012 at 8:11pm | IP Logged | 4  

I can understand that some people have seen James Cameron's Titanic and did not like it.  Everyone has their opinion.  But what is with all the comments that go something like "I have not seen James Cameron's Titanic, nor will I"?  It sounds like righteous indignation or some kind of protest.  Those seem like strong feelings for a movie that you have not seen.  

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 April 2012 at 8:15pm | IP Logged | 5  

Can you really ask that question after actually reading the posts in this thread? Everyone is pretty clear on why they don't want to see the movie.

Or are you tossing us some "righteous indignation" of your own?

Michael Hatton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2012 at 8:29pm | IP Logged | 6  

"Can you really ask that question after actually reading the posts in this thread? Everyone is pretty clear on why they don't want to see the movie."

Well I read the posts fairly fast so I might have mixed up who has seen the movie and did not like it because of the fictional love story and who has not seen it at all.  I saw a few that said they were not going to see it and did not say why.  I guess I should have inferred that others did not like the fiction and so they did not feel the need to explain why since many had a common complaint. 

I can't think of any movies that I would not see on principle.  I tend to like to see a movie myself or at least some of the movie and make my own opinion. 

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2012 at 10:43pm | IP Logged | 7  

Spoilers:

INVISO TEXT (Click or highlight to reveal):
The family rented Titanic shortly after its release on video. I had no interest in seeing it so I went to bed. I woke up and stumbled out into the living room and the film was still running. Molly Brown was standing up in a rescue boat shouting for the pilot to come about and go back for more passengers. In that uniquely misogynistic fashion of his, the spirit that made possible the lengthy humiliation of the wife in True Lies, Cameron has the pilot shout her down, telling her to sit down and shut up. Which she does. So much for Debbie Reynolds.

Soon after, Leo manages to find a piece of floating wreckage to put his ladylove atop, but finds that it is too small and flimsy to support him as well. He takes a moment to assess and accept this. She wakes, he tells her to never let go (a recurring line from the film I'm guessing) and she, holding his hands, loses conciousness again. When she reawakens, Leo has frozen to death. She sobs, but wait! What's that? Something shiny!! She pushes her frozen, no-longer-useful boyfriend off her makeshift raft, watches him spiral down, and then plunges into the water herself like a raccoon to retrieve the shiny whistle from around the neck of a dead crewman. What part of "Never let go" did she not understand?

Much later, as an old woman, she chucks the gigantic blue jeweled necklace she had saved in the disaster back into the ocean, rather than, y'know, sell it and donate the cash or something stupid like that. No. It is a poetic tribute to the incomparable destructive power of the sea or something... I remember saying out loud, "Lady, if the sea had wanted it, it would have taken it back then."

Then she dies, and her spirit flies from her body, zips around for awhile, zeroing in on that exact spot where the ship went down and follows it to the bottom of the sea where it briefly explores the rusting hulk before the entire scene comes magically back to life with the ghosts of all those who had died onboard. Her soul rushes up that famous staircase to find Leo, looking splendid, having apparently been allowed out of steerage, waiting for her in a wonderful tux. The long-separated lovers re-unite... I would have given a lot in that moment if Leo had just said, "I wasn't dead yet."

That is an awful lot of dumb for just a small sliver of the film. There are lots of reasons not to see Titanic aside from the fact that its lead couple are contrivances. It is an exceptionally stupid movie.

People assure me Avatar is better. I haven't given it a go yet.

Edited by Brian Hague on 10 April 2012 at 10:46pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 April 2012 at 4:20am | IP Logged | 8  

People assure me Avatar is better.

••

In the sense that being poked in the eye with a dull stick is "better" than being poked with a sharp one.

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2012 at 5:25am | IP Logged | 9  

I've seen the 1953 TITANTIC and the UNSINKABLE MOLLY BROWN movies on TV more times than James Cameron's version.  Only came upon A NIGHT TO REMEMBER on TV a long time ago, and the one thing that stays in my mind about that was Patrick Macnee's character going down with the ship.

And, as for possibility of a TITANTIC sequel from Cameron...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR4TD6lgcCU

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2012 at 7:45am | IP Logged | 10  

Well, the one thing all the people not watching the movie are missing is the chance to see Kate Winslett's breasts (even though I still feel that the inclusion of the scene to be incredibly sexist as there's no real reason for the nudity to be shown). Otherwise, if you ignore all the scenes featuring poor Billy Zane, DiCaprio and Winslett you have a good movie with some truly touching scenes such as the poorer Irish couple tucking their kids in as the ship is sinking, telling them of Tir Na Nog, and the band continuing to play knowing they are going to die. A movie fashioned around that and many of the other personages on the ship and real stories would have been interesting.

I understand the reasoning behind having a couple of fictitious characters and fashioning a stars-crossed love story into the larger story. It is the plot device to allow showing various aspects of the ship, the contrasts between the haves and have-nots. It's the framework that the milieu story hangs on while giving a central three-act structure and focus to the larger story around it. As such, almost any plot would do. However, it's such a bad two-dimensional plotting and characterizations. Everything Winslett says is right, everything Zane says is wrong and DiCaprio hardly looks like someone that has done hard menial work as his character suggests. And, then some nudity for no reason. And, it was there that I officially became tired of stories being billed as Great Romances that hinge on someone involved in a relationship finding love outside of that relationship and cheating on their other. At least have the courage and honesty to break up with the other person first.

One of the people that died on the ship was early mystery writer Jacques Futrelle (forcing his wife to get onto a lifeboat instead of him) and I've long thought there could be an interesting story involving his creation Professor Augustus S. F. X. Van Dusen, aka the Thinking Machine, on the Titanic
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 April 2012 at 8:09am | IP Logged | 11  

…the one thing all the people not watching the movie are missing is the chance to see Kate Winslett's breasts…

••

Doesn't that simply require seeing one of her OTHER movies? I remember at the time, there was a joke going 'round that most actresses insisted on a non-nudity clause in their contracts, while Ms Winslet insisted on the reverse.

+++

I understand the reasoning behind having a couple of fictitious characters and fashioning a stars-crossed love story into the larger story. It is the plot device to allow showing various aspects of the ship, the contrasts between the haves and have-nots.

••

The Titanic doesn't serve as a great enough metaphor on its own -- Cameron had to shove in his!

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2012 at 8:17am | IP Logged | 12  

As bad as Cameron's TITANIC LOVE STORY was from the get-go, the moment the film well and truly sank for me, and it was in an instant, was when the Zane character pulls out a gun and shoots at the "tragic" couple. The ship sinking was just not quite enough action, apparently. Gevalt, what garbage! I just about never openly comment at the goings-on of a movie while sitting in a theater full of people, but I simply could NOT have suppressed a loud derisive guffaw at this.

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version