Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: Not just for grown-ups! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2012 at 1:51pm | IP Logged | 1  

This anecdote fits somewhere in this thread.

I clearly remember a friend of mine in, oh, about third grade informing me that his mother had forbidden him to read BATMAN comics.  Not comics in general, specifically BATMAN.  He was allowed to continue reading his favorites:  PUNISHER and THE NAM.  His parents owned a bookstore with a spinner rack of comics so my guess is she had informed herself by browsing the comics themselves and saw some sort of content that she found offensive enough to forbid her nine year old son from reading it.  This would've been the mid or late 80s.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2012 at 2:11pm | IP Logged | 2  

Maybe she was just trying to point him toward some more "realistic, adult" material.

Batman, after all, was a vigilante who, after his family was murdered , put on a dark outfit with a scary drawing on its chest and doled out his brand of justice to the criminal underworld.

And the Punisher...oh, wait...

Maybe she just really liked guns.

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 24 April 2012 at 2:13pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Neil Brauer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2012 at 2:44pm | IP Logged | 3  

Steve Gerber's HOWARD THE DUCK

............................................................ ......

Gerber's Headmen!  One of the reasons I loved THE DEFENDERS

Back to Top profile | search

Neil Brauer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2012 at 2:50pm | IP Logged | 4  

His parents owned a bookstore

If they owned a bookstore, she may have run across THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS.  It had much more violence and profanity( which you all know), she may have related it to all BATMAN material.  Who knows.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2012 at 3:11pm | IP Logged | 5  

QUOTE:
However, writing truly "all ages" comics is HARD WORK. And as we have seen demonstrated all too clearly in recent decades, the industry is increasingly controlled by people who have no interest in doing WORK, let alone HARD work!!

I see a parallel with wrestling (what I'm about to say will mean nothing to anyone who hasn't followed it). I much preferred the all-ages era of Hulk Hogan and the Ultimate Warrior in the WWF, where the heroes were heroic and had values and the villains were truly bad. You could take a kid to watch Hulk Hogan wrestle, it was family entertainment even when darker characters like The Undertaker would cause harm to a fan favourite.

However, in the late 90s, the WWF went down a different road (which if I'm honest, I didn't enjoy). There was still wrestling and some heroism, but it seemed to be more about pushing that envelope, having women in skimpy outfits, swearing, more and more blood, etc.

Most of my comic buying nowadays is vintage DC and Marvel stuff (Essentials and Showcase, for instance). Similarly, the only wrestling DVDs I buy now are vintage ones from the 80s/early 90s.

With regards to all-ages, characters such as Indiana Jones and Star Trek, mentioned here already, are much better and will probably stand the test of time better than than other characters.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 25 April 2012 at 7:14am | IP Logged | 6  

I just noticed something last night that I hadn't before - I was reading a recent Marvel comic book, and the issue only had house ads except for one, which was selling Marvel-related collectibles.  One sold advertisement.  Awful!  I guess this is old news, but I had not noticed.

Regardless of what they say, ad sales don't lie.  It is appalling that they can't sell any ads.  I thought it was depressing when car ads appeared in comic books - that signaled only adult readers.  But now we know the readership is adults who won't buy anything but other comic books

We need comics for kids that feature cheap ads selling poorly made junk.  Being depressed that you spent money on 3D glasses that don't really work is a childhood right of passage!

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2012 at 7:32am | IP Logged | 7  

My kids love the characters from shows like BRAVE AND THE BOLD and JLU. I dread the day they will look at the current crop of comics and find out what assholes the characters are (being portrayed as).

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2012 at 7:36am | IP Logged | 8  

BTW, last night before bed I read the PLASTIC MAN Archives book to my three-year-old. He loved it! Priceless moment!

Tom French
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2012 at 7:25am | IP Logged | 9  

Wasn't sure where to put this pic, but this seems like the best thread -- which one is all-ages?:

William Roberge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2012 at 7:59am | IP Logged | 10  

A bit OT but I wish they could have moved up the bat emblem a little...

Edited by William Roberge on 26 April 2012 at 8:01am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Neil Brauer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2012 at 8:17am | IP Logged | 11  

When I was approximately 5, I was used to the more campy BATMAN of the TV show.  There were also many reprints from the earlier, more "innocent", kid friendly version; I had read the "big penny" story, the one with the Block Buster I also remember.  Then I picked up a current issue from the time.  I still have the issue, art by Aparo(who is great imo) and I thought to myself "Batman is mean."  Of course a couple of years later and I couldn't get enough of the "dark" Batman.  This predates THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS by a decade, and in many ways I think the 70's "dark and gritty" Batman is much more menacing than the Miller version.  Aparo/Adams' take wasn't as stylized as Miller's Dark Knight, they also used the traditional costume, gold oval and all, and pulled it off  very convincingly.  I haven't read any of the modern issues of Batman, so I can't speak to those.  I would guess they are more over the top.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 April 2012 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 12  

…in many ways I think the 70's "dark and gritty" Batman is much more menacing than the Miller version.

••

As I am quick to point out, the stories might have gotten "darker" in the Seventies, with (the) Batman facing less cartoony menaces, and a distinct absence of visitors from other planets, other dimensions, or other times, but (the) Batman himself remained an accessible character. Certainly not a psycho ninja!

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version