Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: "He’s Got Radioactive Blood..." (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 April 2012 at 5:37am | IP Logged | 1  

We all know that line, from the theme song of the original Spider-Man cartoon series. It's become so ingrained, in fact, that the concept has even crept into the comics. (Or stomped in with hobnail boots, as in the case of the recent abomination in which Mary Jane got cancer from Peter's "radioactive semen".)

But I was chatting with a friend yesteday (Hi, Paul!) and we got to wondering about whether Peter Parker "really would" have "radioactive blood".

The spider that gave him his abilities took a MASSIVE dose of radiation. (It takes a LOT of radiation, all at once or cumulatively, to actually render something "radioactive".) And this radiation was imparted to Peter thru the spider's venom when it bit him, as its dying act. The radiation from that venom zipped thru Peter's body and did a quick resorting of his DNA, giving him rough equivalents of the spider's natural abilities (tho not all of them!) -- but did the radiation linger? Radiation, by definition, radiates. Even a chunk of uranium eventually "decays" into lead. Was the radiation that entered Parker's body in some way self-sustaining, or, having done the DNA shuffle, did it eventually wear off?

Could a geiger counter help you find Spider-Man?

It makes sense that Bruce Banner is radioactive at some level. The gamma radiation did not rework his DNA, giving him the "ability" to turn into the Hulk. It's the radiation rampaging thru his system that works that change. And the very fact that it is a CHANGE, a temporary event, tells us something, too. The spider-bite worked a permanent transformation in Peter Parker's DNA, but Banner keeps switching back and forth.

It could be argued, too, that the Fantastic Four are not "radioactive". Much like the spider-venom, the "cosmic rays" worked a "permanent" change in their physical makeup. One can imagine the rays passing THRU each of them, clipping various parts of their DNA on the way, and causing the change. But the radiation did not need to linger.

Early Marvel, as Roger Stern is wont to point out, treated radiation like magic. So many characters, good and evil, have their "origins" tied directly or indirectly to atomic radiation. The FF, the Hulk, Spider-Man, the Sandman, the Red Ghost and his Super Apes, the Radioactive Man (a'doy!), Doctor Octopus, etc, etc. Even the X-Men have "radiation origins", albeit once removed in their cases.

But for most of those characters, the radiation is played as a one-time-only "event", and once it's happened, there's no need to consider the characters to be in some fashion PERMANENTLY irradiated.

So, listen bud, does Spider-Man REALLY have "radioactive blood"?

Back to Top profile | search

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2012 at 6:17am | IP Logged | 2  

Yes, radioactivity and even science as a whole, have the same rôle in those stories that magic would have in fairy tales.

Edited by Stéphane Garrelie on 29 April 2012 at 6:17am

Jean-Francois Joutel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2012 at 6:24am | IP Logged | 3  

There was a series called Spider-Man: Reign where Mary Jane died from prolonged exposure to Peter Parker's radioactive blood and "fluids".

Icky.

As for the Hulk, I was recently thinking it was cancer cells gone crazy. It doesn't really explain his strength, but it does somewhat explain his invulnerability and his transformation as the cancer cells replicate themselves with blinding speed.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2012 at 6:36am | IP Logged | 4  

I really wish I could un-see that page...
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2012 at 6:41am | IP Logged | 5  

Me too. Yuck.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Imran Ahmed
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2012 at 7:05am | IP Logged | 6  

When radioactive iodine is used to treat Thyroid diseases, women are advised not to get pregnant for 6 months or people they may trigger radiation detectors at airports up to 100 days post ingestion of radioactive iodine.

Depends on the half life of the radioactive element and the bodies ability to excrete the contaminated fluids. Also a red blood cell lifespan is 3-4 months so even if all of cells were contaminated they would have broken down, so he should not have radioactive blood still.

Edited by Imran Ahmed on 29 April 2012 at 7:06am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Keith Thomas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2012 at 7:11am | IP Logged | 7  

Haha you would think in a day and age when people are willingly injected with radioactive elements for medical scans the silliness of "radioactive blood" wouldn't be obvious to everyone. Speaking directly to Peter Parker's particular case since spider venom is basically protein and water (and would be an extremly tiny amount) I can't think of anything in it that would last longer than a very short time in Peter's body let alone make any part of him toxic to other people (why wouldn't it have killed him first?). Saw an interesting documentary on the wildlife living around Chernobyl this week, many of which ARE radioactive (because of CONTINUED exposure) and they're all doing just as well as animals living outside the contamination area. And the only precaution the scientists took was to wear breath masks so they didn't breathe in any radioactive fur. It concluded by stating our understanding of the long term effects of radiation on life including us still isn't that well understood.

Edited by Keith Thomas on 29 April 2012 at 7:13am

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2012 at 7:17am | IP Logged | 8  

Who felt it necessary to tell that story?

Garry Porter II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2012 at 7:30am | IP Logged | 9  

I never saw Spider-Man as having radioactive blood.  So I guess my answer would be no.

Over the years, all those Spider-Man stories I read as a kid(and some as an adult), I never thought about that..regardless of the theme song.  Actually, it was because I did not know what radiation was at that time.

But, now that I know a little(very little) about radiation(and comicbook science and suspension of disbelief), I still do not see his blood as radioactive as an adult.

As an adult, I think that the radiation was a by-product.  It was necessary to kind of jump start Peter's system and rewrite his DNA.

But I thought that mainly, on the molecular level, there was some type of molecular bonding process between Peter's DNA and the spider's DNA. 

I thought that Peter's DNA (once transferred into his body from the bite), along with his molecules, kind of withheld the radiation....and formed some type of process along the way for a time.

But, after the bite happened, Peter's DNA kept the radiation and contained it, and actually prevented the radiation from venturing out into his bloodstream.   This containment happened during this molecular bonding process. 

I feel the radiation was just used to jump start this process.  This process could have been instant, or it could have taken time.

But, once this molecular bonding process was completed, Peter's body simply got rid of what it did not need, like the lethal elements to the spider's venom and the radiation itself.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2012 at 7:33am | IP Logged | 10  

Yeah, in case you couldn't think on your own and infer what was meant, "And not just blood. Every fluid." Just wish I could unsee that page as well. At least the image is completely off model so it doesn't wreck any good memories associated with the face of Peter Parker.

Jean-Francois Joutel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2012 at 7:49am | IP Logged | 11  

QUOTE:
Who felt it necessary to tell that story?

Published in 2006, written and illustrated by Kaare Andrews. Brought to you by "why aren't kids reading this?" Marvel.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 April 2012 at 7:56am | IP Logged | 12  

"Every fluid."

Radioactive spit. Radioactive sweat. Radioactive tears. Radioactive stomach acids. Radioactive phlegm. God help us if he gets a cold!!

And, of course, the most basic problem with this, even beyond the "ick" factor, is the EXTRAPOLATION factor. For nearly fifty years, Spider-Man has been said to have "radioactive blood". Nothing else was ever mentioned.

Then along comes a writer who decides he has to THINK about it. Now, in Ye Olden Days, THINKING about Spider-Man would give us new ways for him to use his webbing. THINKING about Spider-Man would give us the "untold" story of his parents. THINKING about Spider-Man would give us a tale of young Aunt May. It could even give us Spider-Man with six arms.

But if THINKING about Spider-Man took us down a sexual path -- well, that was for office banter, NOT for inclusion in the books themselves. Because that would not be appropriate for the target audience.

That "Reign" was conceived, approved, and published, tells us a lot about modern Marvel, and modern comics in general. And what it tells us is not good.

Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version