Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Q for Forum - VENOM (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2012 at 7:14pm | IP Logged | 1  

OK, as much as I hate Venom, I love this painting.  However, the artist did something that I've seen many other artists do and I don't know if it's a mistake or not.  

So my question: Aren't the exaggerated jawline/mouth, fangs, and ridiculously long tongue part of the symbiote? As you can see, there's no way there can be a full human head anywhere inside that mess (considering where the visible eye is).

Many artists draw Venom's face as if the human host - regardless of who it is - actually undergoes some physical transformation instead of merely being wrapped, so to speak, in the symbiote.  

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2012 at 7:34pm | IP Logged | 2  

I don't have a problem with it because it's not anything new - Venom has been drawn with a too large mouth since his creation if I recall correctly. Even if McFarlane didn't draw him with such a huge gaping maw, Erik Larsen certainly did, as did Mark Bagley, Ron Lim, and all the others that came after. Still, McFarlane drew it larger than a human head could reasonably fit inside without some seriously painful jaw dislocation!

Edited by Brad Krawchuk on 03 May 2012 at 7:34pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2012 at 7:48pm | IP Logged | 3  

If I remember, when McFarlane first drew Venom, he didn't know there was someone in the costume.  Spider-Man had previously fought the symbiote without a host.  It seems the look stuck, but even more exaggerated!

There are some good Venom stories, though I always thought of the character in the category of "how many times do we have to kill this thing?"

Back to Top profile | search | www

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2012 at 10:32pm | IP Logged | 4  

The bigger Venom gets, the more plausible it is the host is just curled up in the fetal position within the chest, like one of JB's Kryptonian Warsuits.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Bill Guerra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2012 at 10:49pm | IP Logged | 5  

McFarlane didn't know there was going to be a person in the symbiote, so when designing it, no real consideration was given to the dimensions of the head. It was only later that he found out Eddie Brock was inside the suit.

Sounds like there was a lack of communication going on between writer and artist.

Back to Top profile | search

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2012 at 11:10pm | IP Logged | 6  

"Monstrous" can be done in an appealing way.

That painting is gross imho. 

Marcel Chenier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 May 2012 at 11:30pm | IP Logged | 7  

I have always thought Venom was the stupidest possible creation.  Ever.

Jason Uresti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2012 at 1:19am | IP Logged | 8  

No exaggeration there Marcel, I'm sure.

To his credit, the way McFarlane drew Venom made a creepy, menacing character. The large head and huge grin made a neat visual signature for the character.

It was Erik Larsen who started the slobbering, monster mouth Venom. Larsen has stated that he didn't like the character, at all, so he exaggerated his feature so as not to be "bored" while drawing the character.

Edited by Jason Uresti on 04 May 2012 at 1:20am

Brett Wilson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2012 at 1:51am | IP Logged | 9  

I actually liked Venom when McFarlane drew him (I know McFarlane sucks) it wasn't as carried away as it got later on.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2012 at 3:19am | IP Logged | 10  

I have always thought Venom was the stupidest possible creation.  Ever.

What's inherently wrong with the character?  The symbiote, which wants revenge on Peter Parker, joins with another host who also wants revenge on Peter Parker.  Sounds like a natural fit for a new villain.  I really enjoyed Venom over his first half dozen appearances or so.  It's when he became a pseudo-good guy and got his own series and stuff that they lost me. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 May 2012 at 3:30am | IP Logged | 11  

Well, shucks! I thought there WAS a physical transformation. Venom's shape makes no sense, otherwise!

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 May 2012 at 4:11am | IP Logged | 12  

Venom came along years after I stopped reading comicbooks, so I didn't know a thing about the character for many decades. Subsequently, I read about what it was, and last year I read some of the "Amazing Spider-Man" issues featuring it. Nothing impressed me much, but -- it's fine. If stories could be well-written and well-drawn, it would work as much as any other character.

What really impressed me, though, but in vicarious fashion is that there must be something truly compelling in the LOOK of the character. I say this because I have a four year old boy and the INSTANT he spotted a mere toy version of Venom he was HOOKED on the character. He's never seen a comicbook featuring Venom, although I showed him some images online, but whatever it is about Venom's appearance, it totally GOT my little boy. Hmph!

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version