Topic: When Friends Fall Out - 05.12 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2012 at 1:56pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I love the texture of the Hulk's skin. I really love how the ledge
crumbles under Hulk's foot. I've also really grown to love the way you
draw the hulk's head. It makes him feel more like an early Hulk that's
still a bit brutish. The sheen on Iron Man's armor is great and the rest
of the Avengers are spot on perfect. Excellent job JB!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2012 at 1:58pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Great drawing; love to see a full book of this encounter. And is it just
a coincidence that this comes out during "HulK Smashes the Avengers"
series by DeFalco this month?
Back to Top profile | search

Stephen Bergstrom
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2012 at 2:27pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

It's been said many times before, but seeing JB draw these really makes me miss these versions of the characters...

Philippe Pinoli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2012 at 2:32pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Hulk's left hand (especially thumb's nail) is just perfect.

Michael Hogan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2012 at 3:13pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

While Cap's shield is on my mind, I'll ask this:

Since the shield absorbs impacts, why does it ricochet off had targets (walls and such)? I always assumed it was for dramatic effect, ignoring the kinetics, but has it ever been explained?

Garry Porter II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2012 at 3:44pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

A friend who also saw the Avengers movie yesterday insisted on explaining to me why the costumes "had to be" changed. Why Thor, especially, could not wear the "simple" costume Kirby designed.

As I was drawing this piece, Thor in particular, I once again found myself asking "Why not?"

This (at least concept-wise) got me to thinking about how nowadays, movie studio execs and comic writers and especially editors, do not believe in the source material when converting said material to the sliver screen.

An example of this is when the editors at Marvel, in the last 10 years or so, justify tampering or "changing" the source material, just to make movies. Take the Avengers for example. I think creators like how Marvel movie studio execs pick and prod certain things from Avengers 1 and use other things form other points in the extensive Avengers history, all to make an Avengers movie for "modern" audiences.

Another example of this was when a few years back, I read where a creator once commented on how he liked what Sam Raimi did with the first Spider-man movie.

The creator was making the point that just telling a full on movie just based off of Spider-Man's origin and first appearance, i.e. using Amazing Fantasy appearances of the character(or the first full on /Spider-Man story) would have made for a really bad(or boring) movie.

And, I thought:  Why can't Spider-Man's first story and appearance(Amazing Fantasy?) be told strictly as is, in movie form..and be a good movie at that?

JB's statement about how his friend "explained" why Thor's costume needed to be changed made me think of this.

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2012 at 3:45pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Captain America's shield just needs to have a super power that works like magic because it does. 

An "Absorb and disperse" theory opens a big can of worms if it is used for more than just a quick line here and there.

Otherwise you get into complicated questions about whether Captain America's shield needs to absorb some energy but then "turn off" that effect at times to behave as it does. 

If it just absorbs energy then it can't knock people down or bounce off of things. It just stops whatever collides with it if it is stationary and it just stops if it is moving. And if it absorbs a force then there is no reaction or rebound because the action that causes the reaction is removed from the system. So punching the shield would just make your fist stop with no scuffed knuckles or anything. Hitting someone with the shield wouldn't hurt them. The shield would just stop. Throwing the shield would have it stop and fall and not bounce when it encountered any object.

Maybe you could say that the shield diverts and disperses forces in some sort of active way that let's it decide what happens when a force hits it. Throw it at a bad guy's jaw? HIT. Bring it up in front of a tank gun? Disperse every thing over the lethal threshold and throw the wielder back with the remainder to show how powerful the blow was.

And you don't want to worry about the shield softening, or deforming at various points or changing its structure and composition or heating up, or vibrating to disperse the forces either. You don't want to worry about how it disperses or de-absorbs forces. You don't want to worry about how the incoming angles to the shield affect absorption/dispersion where maybe a force orthogonal to the curve of the shield (dead on) behaves differently that one that is almost parallel to the curve of the shield (parallel would be a miss).

It gets silly fast when you think about it. Firm rules are bad if they lead to derivatives that won't work the way the writer/artist wants them to.

Lately there is an urge to update the old explanations. where writers want to abandon radioactivity, mystery alloys, magnets, blood transfusions, ions, and transistors, and the go-to mysterious transformative enablers that people have heard of. 

I think the best pop-sci idea we have for a current (non WW2) explanation for the shields and  is that it is made of self-regulating nano-machines that constantly reconfigure themselves according to instructions from Captain America perhaps programmed through biofeedback that is good enough to guess what he wants by observing him. 

Even then we have jerks who will wonder why if it can change its structure to simulate various composites and materials it doesn't change shape enough to become a helmet or armor or if he can use it to pick any lock or otherwise radically change its shape. Or can he make it change color and luster? Can he make it turn invisible and use it for camouflage? Can he use it to display words and symbols? Can he make it like a mirror?

Details generally lead to trouble.

Edited by Emery Calame on 05 May 2012 at 3:55pm

Garry Porter II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2012 at 4:00pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I think the best idea we have for a current (non WW2) explanation for the shields is that it is made of nano-machines that constantly reconfigure themselves according to instructions from Captain America.

Wow, this type of thinking really does not sound like Cap or his shield to me.  But, I do understand the thought process.

Emery, Is this train of thought currently in the comics?  Has this train of thought become canon to explain Cap's shield?  And if so, what titles is this explanation in besides the Captain America title?

Jason Mark Hickok
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2012 at 4:10pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Fantastic! Beautiful work, JB!

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2012 at 4:49pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

"Emery, Is this train of thought currently in the comics?  Has this train of thought become canon to explain Cap's shield?  And if so, what titles is this explanation in besides the Captain America title?"

Comics and movies ARE experimenting more current explanations for things. Iron man is now about fictional Arc-reactor (ark reactor?) tech as it's foundation tech instead of arrays of transistors or Stark-tech IC's. The comics also fell in love with liquid metals and all kinds of those stuff to explain the armor not acting like a rigid metal sheath as the first version of the armor was. Movie Spider-man is now a result of a genetically modified designed super-spider-bite instead of a random spider bite from an irradiated spider. Banner is now a specially bred/modified  human or was experimenting with healing steroids along with "gamma energy" which is no longer quite exactly associated with gamma rays.

Captain America's shield is not nano-machines yet but it is already being described as more than some mere inert mysterious super-alloy and people have gotten into trouble trying to explain how he can do complex boomerang throws with it apart from "he is like a ninja and can do that because he learned how". There were magnets are one point and radio control at one point I think. 

Like I said the more you worry about how the shield works the further you get from it being a cool prop that makes stories cool. It blocks attacks, is thrown and it busts people up, and it can stop huge huge lows and blasts. That's what you need. You get beyond that one thing leads to another and you get weird power creep and silly expansions of the original concept such as "the Danger Room is angry":

If you can accept the Silver Surfer's board as this ineffable thing that simply  does what it does because "Galactus" then why get upset about how the shield is supposed to work ? 

If people insist on an explanation then probably nano-machines is the best way to go... IF they ignore other stuff associated with nano machines (forming virtually ANYTHING) and just make these nano-machines want to be shaped a shield that does whatever it takes to fly true and stop deadly forces from killing the wielder in an automated and controlled but not sentient fashion. 

Originally in the golden Age the shield was just there to be bulletproof and otherwise a pretty normal shield apart from being throwable in the right hands.

Edited by Emery Calame on 05 May 2012 at 5:14pm

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2012 at 5:27pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Since the shield absorbs impacts, why does it ricochet off had targets (walls
and such)?

I just assumed that when hurled or swung, the edges of the shield impacted
other objects in a more ordinary fashion. That explanation is satisfying
enough for me.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 May 2012 at 5:29pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

A friend has informed that me that the shield got broken again in the "Fear Itself" crossover and was reforged with URU metal in it. Oy vey. 

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version