Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: James Jessop - just another artist who swipes comic-art (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2012 at 12:42pm | IP Logged | 1  

What I don't understand is how people ( and especially "art critics") that see this blatant copying and find any kind of originality and/or art at all. Can I now just start Xeroxing cover of comics from the '40's and just call them my art? The same amount of thought and feeling go into it.
Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2012 at 12:45pm | IP Logged | 2  

It's not the same I know, but when I was in my teens, I drew a picture of Green Lantern - and felt guilty that it was too similar to a panel from one of the comics (I spent a long time trying to draw him right). Yet people feel no guilt at all doing what has been described above.

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2012 at 3:21pm | IP Logged | 3  

Blimey, I watched that episode and didn't even spot the swipes. Maybe because they were such poor swipes. When does a swipe become so poor that it's no longer a swipe?!

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2012 at 3:51pm | IP Logged | 4  

One great thing came of this-- I learned who Glen Orbik is! That's a nice discovery!

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2012 at 5:56pm | IP Logged | 5  

I'm glad to hear no one bought his stuff, but it's disheartening to think that he may be making a living off of this.  It's terrible that there are a lot of Golden, Silver and Bronze Agers out there who can't pay the bills and also can't afford to go to conventions to sell commissions and original art, especially when there are guys like this out there.  (I'm not a fan of the lousy artists who seem to make bank working out of artist's alley selling their awful Harley Quinn prints, but that's a rant for another time.)

Not that the members of this forum need to hear this, but instead of dropping thousands of dollars on a hack job from someone like this, a hundred bucks can probably get you a pretty nice original from one of your favorite comic book series.  You score bonus karma points if you're able to buy it (or a commission) from the artist himself.  And your local comic shop probably has plenty of posters available if you're looking for something big to hang on your wall.  There are so many more and better options than buying a poorly-executed knockoff from an art school dropout.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2012 at 12:10pm | IP Logged | 6  

But that he dropped out has nothing to do with it. It is not possible for someone to enter art college by just adding paint to a canvas though. If you look at the picture supposed to look like Creature from the lagoon it's awoman there and it's all wrong. It could be some naivism or what it's called over there but in any case it's just a painter.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2012 at 12:26pm | IP Logged | 7  

I've got no idea if he's an art school dropout or has a master's degree in fine art, I was just grumbling about him undeservedly making a living off of his art.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version