Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 41 Next >>
Topic: DC to "out" established superhero (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2012 at 4:49am | IP Logged | 1  

Although, stating that the character will soon be gay kind of makes it sound like one of those old "relevant" stories of the 60's. One can almost imagine a cover where Jimmy is telling Superman, as he's about to enter a science chamber, "Using this device, I shall soon become gay, to better understand the plight of the modern homosexual!" The tile, of course, would be, "I am curious (pink)"!
Back to Top profile | search

Armindo Macieira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2012 at 4:56am | IP Logged | 2  

How about making good stories with good art?
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 May 2012 at 4:57am | IP Logged | 3  

According to the most recent figures I've seen, something in the neighborhood of 10% of the population is homosexual, male and female. Since DC has hundreds of characters, it only stands to reason that SOME of them would be Gay.

The really big question in this, then, is HOW they pick their about-to-be-revealed-as-Gay character(s). Will they give any consideration to the character's history, for instance. Will the reader's reaction to the "revelation" be in the realms of "Yeah, that makes sense" or "What? Him/her??"

A lesser question, but still important, is how this will be played. NOT like Rawhide Kid, for instance!

Tom French
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2012 at 5:11am | IP Logged | 4  

Will they give any consideration to the character's history, for instance. Will the reader's reaction to the "revelation" be in the realms of "Yeah, that makes sense" or "What? Him/her??"

With all the talk lately, I suspect it will be Batman.  Morrison has already made a public statement about how "gay" he is.  Not that I agree at all with his logic. 

Green Lantern comes to mind -- Carole Ferris loves him, but he runs with his tail between his legs whenever romance blossoms.  And that whole Arisia thing was icky.  Very possible pick.

Wonder Woman would be a cliche, but I would be understanding of Artemis being the lesbian. 

Edited by Tom French on 21 May 2012 at 5:12am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 May 2012 at 5:14am | IP Logged | 5  

… that whole Arisia thing was icky…

••

Uh oh. What did I miss?

Chuck Wells
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2012 at 5:46am | IP Logged | 6  

I have no problem with any particular type of character or story being published for the wider public, but how is it that the LGBT community never seems to be offended by this type of "reveal"?  I would think that it would be more appropriate to introduce a new hero that was gay, rather than once again alter an existing one to fill a "need"  - if there is such thing - by which I mean that like Thom correctly says above "Being gay is the new being killed."

And really this kind of headline grabber is being accomplished by the same batch of somewhat middle-aged white guys that pretty much did it last time; so where is the "creativity" in this event?

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2012 at 5:49am | IP Logged | 7  

They might as well just admit that Wonder Woman is lesbian...

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 May 2012 at 5:50am | IP Logged | 8  

Just to stir the pot, I'll point out that Frank Miller played the Joker as "Gay" in DARK KNIGHT RETURNS, more than twenty years ago. I even parodied this in the "Smacks of Vengeance" story in WHAT THE?!? at Marvel.

So, in terms of outing an "established" character, this is, like, SO 1986.

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2012 at 5:53am | IP Logged | 9  

The really big question in this, then, is HOW they pick their about-to-be-revealed-as-Gay character(s). Will they give any consideration to the character's history, for instance.

That's the important thing, but respect for history seems to have gone down the drain a while ago now.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Agapito Qhelas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2012 at 5:55am | IP Logged | 10  

DiDio worded his answer very specifically. He did not say "a prominent character will be revealed to be gay", but that they will reintroduce a character who will then become one of their most prominent gay characters. 

So, no Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern or, since he's already been reintroduced into their new continuity, Jimmy Olsen. 

The most notorious would be Wally West or one of the other 'lost' Teen Titans. 

Agapito Qhelas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2012 at 6:01am | IP Logged | 11  

QUOTE:
Uh oh. What did I miss?

Arisia used her ring to physically age herself and Hal (sigh) started dating her. 

Geoff Johns later retconned her by having her species be really long lived and with their planet's translation being that much longer her original age of 13 years old really meant she was much, much older. 

It was still icky. 

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2012 at 6:11am | IP Logged | 12  

JB: Just to stir the pot, I'll point out that Frank Miller played the Joker as "Gay" in DARK KNIGHT RETURNS, more than twenty years ago. I even parodied this in the "Smacks of Vengeance" story in WHAT THE?!? at Marvel.

Just for reference:

<< Prev Page of 41 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version